It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic -V- Conventional Farming: Results of a 30 Year Study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
This is important information for all of us to understand and absorb. Organic Farming is far superior to so called convention (chemical/GMO) farming methods. This 30 year study is very conclusive.

Read the summary page here: www.rodaleinstitute.org...

View the full report here: Full Report PDF

I have always thought that chemical and GMO farming practice was a hazard to our health both human and the planet itself. We should abandon the practice and instead focus on distributed intensive organic food systems like aquaponics for higher yields and greater food security. This study is very vindicating.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I think this study brings to light things we already know or suspect. Putting poisons on our food, in our water, and in our bodies is causing damage. I grow a small garden every year and I never use pesticides of any kind. Not only are these poisons dangerous to humans, but wildlife as well.

These are just a few points from the study.

Atrazine exposure at time of conception has been linked to lower math and reading skills in children.

Researchers measured organophosphates in the urine of children and discovered levels of chemical indicators up to 14 parts per billion. (All of which disappeared when they were put on an organic diet.)

Glyphosate3-based herbicides, currently legal in our food at low levels, have been shown to cause DNA damage, infertility, low sperm count, and prostrate or testicular cancer in rats.

Pesticides (including ones that have been banned for years) have been found in breast milk and umbilical cord blood.

Inactive ingredients in herbicide and pesticide brands have been found to be just as toxic, if not more so, than the active ingredients, and these ingredients aren’t tested for human health impacts before being released.

Some research has found certain agricultural chemicals can alter our DNA, meaning the effects can be passed on through the generations.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

We are also small plot farmers. My friends and business partners have been investing in research into aquapoincs for about a year now and the results are amazing. Plants love fish water. By constant circulation we have gotten amazing yields and our system is designed to be low up front cost and high production. The cost benefit analysis just based on fresh fish, and fruits and vegetables is quite good but of course the greatest benefit is knowing that your food is not going to cause you long term health problems and does not degrade the environment.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
What has pesticides to do with Organic Farming?
True Organic farming refers to the nutrients recieved by the plant.
The elimination of processed or manufactured nutrients.

You can surely have truely organic foods that hae met pesticeds.
Organic farming doesn't eliminate pests... and beware "organic Pest control" products.. some are extremely dangerous.

Also, What has GMO plants have to do with Organics?
You can have GMO plants that are grown organically?

I do not support GMO food products.. or the use of harmful pesticides.
I do support TRUE organic foods, but the fact is this.. the laws surrounding certified Organic Foods are so convoluted they do not ensure the product you think it does.

I do support Hydroponic Gardening. Faster and bigger growth through direct feeding and a controlled environment rather than genetics.
With a controlled indoor environment, you can eliminate pests without any pesticides.
Faster, cleaner, bigger plants. No need for Genetic modification outside selective breeding for vigor to get crops that yeild up to 10 times per sq ft than outside.

Warehouse districts should be turned into indoor farms. Turn Ghettos into goldmines.
Create meaningful jobs where there is none.
Feed the world.

top topics

join