It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversial Therapy for Pre-Teen Transgender Patient Raises Questions

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by billy197300
My point being, how can a child that knows nothing of sex.....at all,

SEX has nothing to do with this.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
kids want to fit in.

Uh yeah!

That's what the camps are for. Did you read the article?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Will you please explain to me what your definition of sexuality is then? Maybe we have two different ideas on that.
2nd

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Will you please explain to me what your definition of sexuality is then? Maybe we have two different ideas on that.
2nd

Gender and "sex act" are not the same thing.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by freakjive

Originally posted by facelift
11 years of life experience is not adequate to make this decision

This is the problem I have most with it. How does an 11 year old make that decision? How does someone let an 11 year old make that decision?

They don't - that is why there is an age of consent for most things, joining the army, voting, drinking, smoking, having sex.

An 11 year old.. does not even understand their sexuality let alone know what they want to be.

Anything else is external influence, and you cannot tell me this 'family' has not had an influence.

Man, some people in this thread will justify anything as long as it's seen to be 'progressive'....

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Welcome to the guarded world of families with gender-variant kids, where a word like sparkle can move you to tears.

That, in a nutshell, is the problem.

As cartman would say "God damned hippies"....

And should this 11 year old turn 18 and realise that they are now completely messed up due to something they thought as a child, which was encouraged and endorsed by both mums, then.. oh well, can't say they didn't have a vibrant childhood.

It happens to Adults who make this decision, and they are fully aware of their sexuality and gender. There should be absolutely no acceptance of allowing a child to make this choice.

An adult CAN make this decision. A child cannot.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Most people here would support this I bet. This is nothing more than child abuse. Sick world! No actually, America is the sick place, most of this weird behavior comes from the U.S.

Gays should NOT be able to raise children.

link   

2nd

Gender and "sex act" are not the same thing.

Ok then, look down....you have a penis you ARE a boy, have a vagina you ARE a girl. It is almost freaking impossible to confuse the two, that is gender and it is unmistakable...unless there is some kind of cool as@ vagenis that I have never seen........hmmmm. I am really trying to understand your point of view here, can you please explain how an 11 year old can not know he has a dong?

link   

Originally posted by beauty from pain
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I don't see how calling something like that disgusting as common sense when you know nothing about these people.

Common sense is realizing gender is "all shades of gray" - - "we are as we are born" and some enlightened aware humans have evolved to the understanding of that.

Gender is MALE or FEMALE. Sexuality is all shades of gray...

Wow..

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha

I'm an Old Hippie.

What do you really know about what started the Hippie movement? And what changes were made as a result of?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Gender is MALE or FEMALE. Sexuality is all shades of gray...

According to who?

You?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Ok then, look down....

Actually - - its more about what's in the brain.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

My opinion on this is impossible to determine.. Since while this is a topic I've studied.. I can't honestly speak to this boy (Or I suppose girl perhaps.)'s mental health and how they see themselves.

11 Years strikes me as a bit young, but if it were an overwhelming obsession to the boy (Which, for some, it is.) then it isn't.

Honestly I doubt hormone blockers will do so much at 11 years old. And it might be a bit young to even consider it since many of the masculine traits can be reversed still much later in life (with more difficulty of course.)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

Actually.. It's not.

There's a varying number of conditions, birth defects, and other situations that don't fit into two options.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Ok then, look down....

Actually - - its more about what's in the brain.

HOW? How on earth is what is hanging between your legs or not in your brain? It's not a thought process. Gender is as physical as a physical thing can be, you can see it, you can touch it......if your really nasty you can smell it.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by billy197300

No.. Gender isn't a solely physical thing.

There's an entire psychological field dedicated to these studies, it's about whats in your mind, more so than what's between your legs.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by billy197300

I think you are confusing gender with the act of sex. The boy isn't saying he wants to be a girl so he can have sex with boys. He is saying he feels that he IS a girl. I am greatly disturbed by this, it seems to be a growing trend. We should appreciate who we are, who we were when we were born in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

He is appreciating who he is.

It's others who are not.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

I'm an Old Hippie.

What do you really know about what started the Hippie movement? And what changes were made as a result of?

Certainly not allowing children to make decisions that affect them for the rest of their lives, while that child has not been given the life experience to fully understand those decisions.

At least none of the hippies I knew. Perhaps that is why I did not know them, if they indeed had such opinions, I would have distanced myself from them.

I'm all for freedom to do with my own body as I see fit and the law be damned if I choose something that harms no other, but this is a child and despite your repeated claims they are fully aware of their sexuality, I disagree. I certainly did not know at a young age what things like making love were like, and that is 100% based on sexuality. This decision is a LIFE CHANGING one that will take this away from this boy when he becomes aware of what gender he appreciates.

Delaying his natural hormones is nothing more that abuse.

This to me is nothing more than the parents of this kid playing with their own real doll...

EDIT - Annee, also I wasnt referring to you in the quote about hippies, I was referring to the snippet of the article you posted. Just to clarify!
edit on 18/10/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

Actually it is a reverse-able decision. For one, he could just delay any hormone (or I suppose now anti hormone) treatments, and at his age the body would fall into it's natural signals and turn masculine over time as he grows.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join