It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversial Therapy for Pre-Teen Transgender Patient Raises Questions

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissConstrood

Originally posted by demetriandlucy

Originally posted by MissConstrood
Unnecessarily pumping a child full of chemicals to block hormone production is just wrong! And now that the media have hold of the story the poor kid will have no chance of a normal childhood.

Who says what is normal? The kid has two moms.

So what if the child has two moms? That's nothing unusual.

Uh?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I am afraid that if the two mothers have made their minds into allowing their child to become a girl they pretty much can get the hormones themselves and administer to the child.

Hormones at this young age, will not only stop the sexual development but can atrophy his reproductive organs inside and out.

Sad.

But obviously by the link the choice has been made.

You are absolutely correct. Adding hormones or preventing hormones from doing what they are designed to do can have a disastrous effect on this developing child. We've all heard about the cancerous side effects of women on hormonal replacement therapy exactly what are these "parents' thinking? Their decision don't sound like they have the child's best interest. I think if these parents are allowed to follow through on this boy it will set a precedent for children that will do unbelievable harm.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
"Pre-Teen Transgender"

WHAT?

There is no such thing, that is something adults have applied to a child... How disgusting is that?

I have a suggestion... I know this may sound radical... But why not let a child be just that?

Let the kid be a kid... There will be plenty of time for a "sexual identity crisis" when all grown up.

WTF is wrong with some people?
edit on 17-10-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
"Pre-Teen Transgender"

WHAT?

There is no such thing, that is something adults have applied to a child... How disgusting is that?

I have a suggestion... I know this may sound radical... But why not let a child be just that?

Let the kid be a kid... There will be plenty of time for a "sexual identity crisis" when all grown up.

WTF is wrong with some people?
edit on 17-10-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

And you know this how?
You don't.
Are you the family? The child? Related personally to these people in the slightest? Doubt it, but I guess it won't stop you from passing judgement on the situation, at least.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by beauty from pain

None of that... It's just a radical new thing called "common sense".

You'd be amazed at what can be done with it.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Annee

I'd agree with you Anne, but not with transgenders. Being gay is one thing, but knowing your a different gender trapped in another, is entirely different.

Did you know about the camps for transgender primary kids?

I knew - because I follow this stuff.

EDIT: Notice the date of this article Aug. 2, 2010. The article from FOX (lesbian parents) is dated Oct. 10, 2011.

Welcome to the guarded world of families with gender-variant kids, where a word like sparkle can move you to tears. Started by a parent support group out of Children's National Medical Center, this year the camp hosted 25 families and was held in a rural retreat a three-hour drive from Chicago. Most of the "Camp I Am" kids will one day end up somewhere in the GLBTQ spectrum—maybe cross-dressers, gender queer, or another term yet to be invented. But if past experience is any indication, the majority of our girly-boys will one day consider themselves straightforwardly gay. For the kids who turn out to be truly born in the wrong body, their parents will continue to wrestle with pronouns, possible hormonal intervention, and possible surgery down the road. In the meantime, many of us have learned to accept ambiguity, "holding all options open," as some supportive therapists say. Many of us attempt to avoid labels for something that may or may not fade away in a year—or 10.

www.slate.com...

edit on 17-10-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I don't see how calling something like that disgusting as common sense when you know nothing about these people.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by beauty from pain

I don't see how calling something like that disgusting as common sense when you know nothing about these people.

Common sense is realizing gender is "all shades of gray" - - "we are as we are born" and some enlightened aware humans have evolved to the understanding of that.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
I also believe the correct course of action is to let the child develop naturaly until adolescence and then let him/her decide.

Chaz Bono does not agree with you.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I also believe the correct course of action is to let the child develop naturaly until adolescence and then let him/her decide.

You must take into consideration that it has been alleged that Chaz Bono was molested by her babysitter and her stepfather as a child so yeah those factors could lend themselves to coloring a person's sexuality and gender identification.
edit on 17-10-2011 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by beauty from pain

Common sense is realizing gender is "all shades of gray" - - "we are as we are born" and some enlightened aware humans have evolved to the understanding of that.

You fail to take into consideration other factors that could influence gender identification. That blanket saying "we are as we are born " is not true for all people which is why any permanent alterations to that person should take place when they are old enough to weigh all the consequences of that decision. A 11 year old hardly have enough life experience to do so.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chai_An

You must take into consideration that it as been alleged that Chaz Bono was molested by her babysitter and her stepfather as a child so yeah those factors could lend themselves to coloring a person's sexuality and gender identification.

NO. I do not have to consider a molestation had anything to do with anyone's gender/transgender - or gender-variant.

Nothing supports that thinking - - - except those who want/need an excuse for people not born "either or gender" - - accepted by society.

While I do support the sliding scale and believe those near dead center may be BI - - and can be influenced by environment (especially religious doctrine) - - - no way do I support environment has any effect on those truly gay or transgendered.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

A 11 year old hardly have enough life experience to do so.

Did you read the article I posted from Slate?

Did you read the comments at the end of the article? All of them - not just the ones you agree with?

www.slate.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Annee

I'd agree with you Anne, but not with transgenders. Being gay is one thing, but knowing your a different gender trapped in another, is entirely different.

Really
Really!
I have taken care of transgender patients. Have you?
The fungal and bacterial infections (follow them for the rest of their lives) of their post surgical area's are remarkable!
Naturally, women produce lactic acid that helps kill off these organisms. Men Do NOT.
This is taught in all Schools of Medicine. To disregard this is to be negligent!
I quote from The American Family Physician," Stimulated by maternal estrogen, the vaginal epithelium is rugated and rich in glycogen in the newborn. During childhood, the epithelium remains thin until puberty, when it again thickens as a result of estrogen stimulation. Estrogen stimulation produces copious amounts of glycogen. Döderlein's lactobacilli depend on glycogen from sloughed vaginal cells.3 Lactic acid produced by these bacteria lowers vaginal pH levels to 3.5 to 4.5; this is essential for the body's natural defense against vaginal and urinary tract infections."
www.aafp.org...

You butcher's disgust me!

edit on 17-10-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

Phew ! Lucky we have had a salutary symbiotic evolution with this bacteria otherwise the entire population would be scratching at its glands and not just the 50%.

As for the child... Well unless you experience the situation first hand, you'll never fully understand the confusion and misery the individual is challenged by. Gender re assignment at an early age has been in progress for years, regardless of the sexual identity of the parents.
These days there's a considerable amount of various professionals involved in the process. At least this kid will have some control over their gender dysphoria than being and so will be less likely to end up on suicide watch.
(Btw... there's more variation of sex chromosomes out there than just being an xx or an xy) What ever one you are chances are you have no idea what it is to be any of the others. Pretty lame to condemn and expect others to operate by your judgemental parameters when they come from a different perspective altogether.
No chopping/slashing/butchering will occur until they are old enough to make that choice. In the meantime hormone depressors are beneficial for the kid's psychological state. If at a later date the kid comes to terms with being born male then he can chose to come off the meds. In the meantime at least the emotional environment for all involved is less chaotic.

If its all about choice, then at least this kid has been given exactly that.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by LexiconV
As for the child... Well unless you experience the situation first hand, you'll never fully understand the confusion and misery the individual is challenged by. Gender re assignment at an early age has been in progress for years, regardless of the sexual identity of the parents.

No chopping/slashing/butchering will occur until they are old enough to make that choice. In the meantime hormone depressors are beneficial for the kid's psychological state. If at a later date the kid comes to terms with being born male then he can chose to come off the meds. In the meantime at least the emotional environment for all involved is less chaotic.

If its all about choice, then at least this kid has been given exactly that.

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you.

I had an ADD kid - way back in 1968. You know - of course - its because she didn't get enough spankings

Now I'm raising a borderline "on the Spectrum" grandson. Must be environment.

I've been following LGBT issues for 20+ years - - since I worked at a company that was predominately gay/lesbian. Me being the token straight female (nice twist from the usual).

Anyway - - I have read the hormone blockers can be stopped without any known permanent effects (chose not to post that early in thread).

The most important thing is their "psychological well being". Which is exactly what my doctor told me about my ADD daughter. NO - he didn't drug her. He told me if I had to turn my home into a padded cell so she felt comfortable and was free to bounce off the walls - - that is what I needed to do.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I don't know, but I don't think it's great publicity for gay people trying to adopt and fighting off rumors of the effects of kids raised in a gay household. Their open mindedness, and tolerance may be getting into the way of their parenting and decision making in this particular circumstance.

They need to let the kid go through puberty so he/she can really sort themselves out. Better than letting them decide before puberty and then taking an irreversible action only to find out after the most mentally and physically tumultuous time in a person's life that it wast he wrong choice.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
reply to post by beauty from pain

None of that... It's just a radical new thing called "common sense".

You'd be amazed at what can be done with it.

An11yearold is taxed enough changing his or her favorite cartoon character.
here's another example of that "What? Its completely"normal" "commonsense:

[link]http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/real-life/2011/09/28/desperate-cross-dressing-dad-nearly-dies-trying-to-chop-off-his-own-penis-with-a-stanley- knife-86908-23451839/[/link]
Story gone: Link no longer works.

edit on 17-10-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

You must take into consideration that it as been alleged that Chaz Bono was molested by her babysitter and her stepfather as a child so yeah those factors could lend themselves to coloring a person's sexuality and gender identification.

NO. I do not have to consider a molestation had anything to do with anyone's gender/transgender - or gender-variant.

Nothing supports that thinking - - - except those who want/need an excuse for people not born "either or gender" - - accepted by society.

While I do support the sliding scale and believe those near dead center may be BI - - and can be influenced by environment (especially religious doctrine) - - - no way do I support environment has any effect on those truly gay or transgendered.

Then you are guilty of being closed minded because everybody who's gay or transgendered are not born that way, that is a fallacy that is constantly being perpetrated as a truth.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

I don't know, but I don't think it's great publicity for gay people trying to adopt and fighting off rumors of the effects of kids raised in a gay household. Their open mindedness, and tolerance may be getting into the way of their parenting and decision making in this particular circumstance.

Exactly

They need to let the kid go through puberty so he/she can really sort themselves out. Better than letting them decide before puberty and then taking an irreversible action only to find out after the most mentally and physically tumultuous time in a person's life that it wast he wrong choice.

You hit the nail on the head.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

I don't know, but I don't think it's great publicity for gay people trying to adopt and fighting off rumors of the effects of kids raised in a gay household.

Did you know many gay parents are more paranoid of their kid being gay then straight parents?

Gay parents want what every straight parent wants. A healthy intelligent straight child who will give them grandchildren.

Although gay parents fully accept if their child is gay - - - they know what difficulties they went through - - - and don't want that for their own kids.

But - - if you look at the article I posted - - you will see the date of that article is Oct 2010. And is not about Lesbian or gay parents.

FOX is using media sensationalizing - - - BECAUSE - - this couple just happens to be Lesbian.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join