It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One month in, protests yet to topple capitalism

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
hitler liked pizza.

pizza = hitler

eating pizza makes you a nazi.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
While this will come as no revelation to those following the movement, there has been no unified direction which will have a direct impact on the corporations, government or other that the movement wishes to engage. What we have seen of recent is a series of engagements which seem to be primarily aimed at invoking violent responses from the authority. Visual presence is an effective medium to emphasize the scope of support for a movement, however direct instigation of sources removed from the true objective will only prove to distract from the ultimate ambitions of the movement. That is not to say that violent resistance is ineffective, simply that it must be based on a coordinated and focused effort with clear objectives and fall back positions in mind.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by malcr

i dont deny i am a capitalist, my money is MINE, I made I keep it, i'm not gonna pay for some slacker that doesnt wanna get a job to feed his OWN kids, I make 1300 a month, thats gotta feed me and MINE, not john schmoe who wants to sit around watching jerry springer while eating ho hos on MY DOLLAR

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I just wish winter would get here then we would see if OWS has dedication to their cause when it's 20 degrees with blowing snow.

But I really wish they would stop the 99% thing because I know they don't represent me or the friends I talk to. I imagine a lot of heartland feels the same way. If my child was staying at home and doing this I would seriously have to reevaluate their ungrateful stance on money. Might go as far as a reverse mortgage and plan to spend down equity and savings so they wouldn't be burdened with any money I might have left them.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

They aren't out to topple 'capitalism' - they are out to topple the Feudalistic Oligarchy now existing in America that the wealthy created under cover of the word 'capitalism'.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Bramble Iceshimmer

FOX NEWS POLL BACKFIRES: 70 PERCENT SUPPORT OCCUPY WALL STREET | Fox News is running a poll on their website asking readers if the 99 Percent movement represents their views on the economy.

It was at 70% pro Occupy when Fox freaked out and pulled the poll.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
– Samuel Adams

These protesters serve as the heralds of change. Their peaceful marches are a rally cry for all to come and witness the rise of liberty and freedom, and the collapse of greed that has stunted this world and the growth of humanity. As the sun sets on this age, it will surely rise in the next.
edit on 17-10-2011 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Indeed, politicans are looking at this as a way for political gain. So many OWS, so little time to fight for their support.

In a situation like this, your perspective is persuaded by mere appearance.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Geez,if it werent for ATS and livestream we would almost forget about the OWS movement here in britain,it seems there is a severe media bias almost trying to sweep it under the rug (Out of sight,Out of mind)IMO

In no way am i condoning riots,property damage and loss of life through violent demonstrations however i cant see any of TPTB taking any notice to this,perhaps less peaceful protest will open their eyes? I mean look at the arab spring,granted,i know their problems were more severe such as dictatorship etc,but how much of a democracy do we in the US and UK live under,how many bailouts,waste of taxpayers money and other important national events do we really have a say in? we just elect a select squad of scum who will blame everything on the past government and then get down to making a right mess of everything else jus so it can happen next term again!

The world needs a movement like this,things just cant go on the way they have been for much longer,we the people and the taxpayers that fund the government are fed up from what i can see around me IMO

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

My friend I love yur logic. So cops that love pizza are also Nazis!! Would explain why the majority of them suck.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
reply to post by malcr

i dont deny i am a capitalist, my money is MINE, I made I keep it, i'm not gonna pay for some slacker that doesnt wanna get a job to feed his OWN kids, I make 1300 a month, thats gotta feed me and MINE, not john schmoe who wants to sit around watching jerry springer while eating ho hos on MY DOLLAR

Lucky no one is asking you to do that huh

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
president barry soetoro is the best. he supports occupy wallstreet, and the only man in america able to do something about is him.

and he acts like he's powerless.

edit on 18-10-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Why tax the rich more when they are already paying the bulk of taxation in this country those people who are protesting are using goods and services provided from those evil capitalists and now they have too much and they don't have enough.

The middle class tax cuts amount to over 3 trillion dollars and there right at the corner of Wall and Broad sits the largest amount of millions of Americans pensions,savings and many other investment vehicles that millions of Americans use for income.

No amount of taxation will pay for any social program they want no amount of taxation will give them everything they want and this is what this is all about their wants their desires because their lifestyles and support of a certain politicial ideology that has pushed worked outside this country their support for bigger government has led to this point in time.

Now people are upset with the people who make their world possible the attack on Wall Street is an attack on every single American in this country their jobs their retirements their futures for the sheer lack of economic and civic educations.

In the words of James Carvell it's the government that's the problem destroying what makes this country what it is it is crazy in all of the world in all of this country there is only one Wall Street and without it take a good look at what exists.

You need them even tho none will ever admit it what you don't need is a too big to fail government masters of us all including Wall Street shrink the power and size and scope of the US Federal Government and you will change the World if anyone is serious about saving themselves and or the planet see the wisdom of that.

peace out

That 1% pays for over 40% of all taxes collected in this country.
edit on 18-10-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

In the minds of likely voters, Washington, not Wall Street, is primarily to blame for the financial crisis and the subsequent recession.

The Hill poll found that only one in three likely voters blames Wall Street for the country’s financial troubles, whereas more than half — 56 percent — blame Washington.

thehill.com...

Everyone has polls.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Homer, this is a reply to your headline and top post for the thread. If you would like to know what you're talking about, rather than simply speculating and watching news, reading net stories or watching limited YouTube and LiveStream videos, go spend time with one of the camps. I just got back from one and far from being put off as I thought I might be, I'm only here long enough to restock, reequip and return for the duration.

What we are doing isn't about Democrats, Republicans, Communists or little green men. It's about a better future and the folks I'm sharing the camp with run from very conservative (like me) to the other end with very hard liberals. It's a truly amazing thing, but they are quite accepting of me and I of them. It took me all of 1 day there to realize, politics has NOTHING to do with this, at least in the area I am in. Now can you find stinky hippies and hard core communists? Of course.....there are 4.2 million at conservative count as of Sunday night, World Wide. You'll find everyone, of every description. THAT is the WHOLE point.

Stop focusing on Zuccotti Park. They did start it. Absolutely. They are also now one among over 1,000 cities participating either part or full time, in over a dozen nations. Please.... Spend just a bit of time, before standing in judgement and talking in terms of FACT for something you're learning about through sources once removed from the real life event. The media has it VERY wrong on this one.....but then the Media hasn't fared well for a profitable future in other nations that brought about serious change...I can't blame them for hating us. I CAN blame people for believing them without FIRST HAND experience.

edit on 18-10-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545
Another way to look at it, is that one month in and capitalism has failed to topple protests.

This protest is starting to pick up steam. It doesn't matter who supports it and who doesn't. That seems to be the beautiful thing about it. The talking heads are not talking about who is supporting the people of the Occupy movement, they are talking about the people whose boots are on the ground. The media keep pointing out, no matter how much they try to make fun of them, that these are real people. These are your neighbors. You can try to discredit them all you want, it isn't working. As much as regular people disagree with this movement, they are part of the 99%, whether they like it or not.

My only hope is that this continues to get traction and keep moving forward.

Well if you and others think it does not matter, then why did the liberal left go bananas saying the Koch brothers financed the Tea Party. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Soros finances the OWS through Tides, through adbusters. CPUSA supports them, Nazi party supports them, Nancy Pelosi supports them. MoveOn.org supports them. SEIU and labor unions support them. What is a person to think?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Homer, this is a reply to your headline and top post for the thread. If you would like to know what you're talking about, rather than simply speculating and watching news, reading net stories or watching limited YouTube and LiveStream videos, go spend time with one of the camps. I just got back from one and far from being put off as I thought I might be, I'm only here long enough to restock, reequip and return for the duration.

What we are doing isn't about Democrats, Republicans, Communists or little green men. It's about a better future and the folks I'm sharing the camp with run from very conservative (like me) to the other end with very hard liberals. It's a truly amazing thing, but they are quite accepting of me and I of them. It took me all of 1 day there to realize, politics has NOTHING to do with this, at least in the area I am in. Now can you find stinky hippies and hard core communists? Of course.....there are 4.2 million at conservative count as of Sunday night, World Wide. You'll find everyone, of every description. THAT is the WHOLE point.

Stop focusing on Zuccotti Park. They did start it. Absolutely. They are also now one among over 1,000 cities participating either part or full time, in over a dozen nations. Please.... Spend just a bit of time, before standing in judgement and talking in terms of FACT for something you're learning about through sources once removed from the real life event. The media has it VERY wrong on this one.....but then the Media hasn't fared well for a profitable future in other nations that brought about serious change...I can't blame them for hating us. I CAN blame people for believing them without FIRST HAND experience.

edit on 18-10-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

i just want to go off topic for a moment to say how awesome it is to read this
i've enjoyed reading your posts since before this whole Occupy business began..
always rational, well thought out.. with correct grammar to boot!
i know you had reservations about the movement
and it's great to see that it has paid off so well for you to actually investigate personally.
this to me is pretty much the ultimate confirmation
we must be doing something right ;D

EDIT:
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

seriously, how many times do we need to say this?!
just because someone supports something does NOT mean they are part of it!
let's say i come out in support of you
are you now allied with dirty hippy OWS filth?
of course not. why should it work that way for others?
edit on 18-10-2011 by decepticonLaura because: bashing my head against a brick wall

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join