It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JSF

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
The bad thing is....until the JSF is built the two carriers the RN is building wont have any aircraft....lol I can image that in a war...

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
The bad thing is....until the JSF is built the two carriers the RN is building wont have any aircraft....lol I can image that in a war...

Aircraft carriers dont get built overnight....

The new carriers the RN is having built arent due to come onstream until we have squadron sized capabilities of the JSF.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Uhh... two questions, the RN only has 2 carriers? And why can’t they just use the Harrier's until the F-35 is produced?

Edit- Currently the British have 3 Invincible Class Carriers, Displacement 20,300 tones

A new larger class of Aircraft Carrier, as a replacement for the three existing Invincible Class ships. Initial estimates are that the ships could be 300 metres long and displace about 40,000 tons capable of carrying up to 50 aircraft, resulting in a ship that would be twice as large as the current Invincible class. These carriers are likely to be among the biggest ships ever built for the Royal Navy.

[edit on 6-4-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   
At the moment I believe that the new aircraft carriers are due to be launched and operational around 2010/2012, we have been informed that the JSF won't be ready till at least 2014.

The Harrier to due to be phased out, I THINK the date is around the 2008/2010 mark. Don't quote me on it, i will try to confirm it. But at the minute the JSF will be late by at least 2 years for us.

Wonder if they will go for some naval Eurofighters?

- Phil

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   
The Royal Navy currently has three 'carrier cruisers', which are due to be replaced in 2012 and 2015 by the Future Aircraft Carrier project, which is currently budgeted for two ships to enter service by 2015, with construction starting in 2006, completion by 2009, seatrials by 2011 and be accepted by the RN in 2012, leaving 3 yeras for amendments and training.

The Sea Harrier will be retired from service in 2006, leaving a joint operation of the Harrier GR9 with the RAF and the RN. These aircraft will be operated from the current cruiser class carriers when required, and later on on the new carriers until operations are moved to the JSF.

www.answers.com...
www.naval-technology.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   
The carriers are scheduled to be in service by 2012 and 2015, though this may be delayed by a couple of years due to red tape delaying the build. The designs are also moving more towards a displacement of 60,000 tonnes not 40,000

top topics

<< 1   >>

join