It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Gulf Seafood Unsafe for Pregnant Women and Children?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Study: Gulf Seafood Unsafe for Pregnant Women and Children?

healthland.time.com

Is Gulf seafood safe to eat? The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) gave the green light following the BP oil spill that dumped nearly 5 million barrels of crude off the coast of Louisiana last year, but now an environmental watchdog group says the agency's standards are "based on outdated science" and underestimate the risk of cancer-causing contaminants to pregnant women and children eating seafood from the Gulf.

At issue are what the FDA considers safe levels of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), compounds found in oil, coal and gasoline that have been linked to cancer in animal
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It goes on to say that the...
" ... FDA said that 123,000 micrograms of naphthalene per kilogram of shrimp was safe for everyone to eat. According to our calculations, only 5.91 micrograms should have been allowed to protect pregnant women and children who eat a lot of seafood. For comparison, our calculations show that 46.99 micrograms of naphthalene per kilogram of shellfish would be safe for an adult consumer.

According to our calculations, the risk of cancer associated with eating Gulf shellfish contaminated at the levels FDA says is safe could be as high as 20,000 in a million. Put another way, this means that if 1,000 pregnant women (and their children) ate Gulf seafood contaminated at the levels FDA said are safe, 20 of the children born to them would be at significant risk of cancer from the contamination."

There is a lot going on in the world right now, and it's hard to keep track of it all and keep a sane mind, yet it is important to closely monitor past events and their consequences for they are still affecting our environment and health.

healthland.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
It's amazing how quickly these things are swept under the rug and forgotten by normal people.

I've been following this story, Fukushima, and a few other oil spills closely over the past couple of years. These are some of the largest and most important events ever to occur in human history, with the potential to contribute to our entire planet's demise, and we would rather discuss abstract conspiracy theories that even if they were true cannot be proven or thwarted..

I'm glad to see someone else is still watching these important issues and posting about them. Thanks, OP.

I love seafood and have been eating only farm raised or locally caught fish since the BP oil spill. It's so sad to me to know that I can't get a piece of wild-caught fish from any major fishery that isn't suspect. Somewhere between 425,000 and 625,000 TONS of crude were dumped into the sea, and at least 1.8 MILLION GALLONS of Corexit was used to "clean" it up. That's the BP figure, you can rest assured that it was more. It seems like common sense to me that we would avoid all seafood until multiple independent studies could be carried out to determine the long term effects of both the crude and the dispersant.

For those that think I am over-reacting (lots of people in my normal life do) - you should review the studies that have shown the effects these chemicals are having on fish in the Gulf. Then if you still think everything is ok come over for dinner and I'll cook you up a crude oil battered cod filet.
edit on 17-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

According to this article only about 2% of all seafood in the USA is inspected, and only about 0.10% is tested for drug substances (which would include chemical compounds found in Corexit.)

edit on 17-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
aS MUCH AS MANY HERE ON ats TRIED TO MAKE THIS A POINT OF INTEREST THE who cares took over... smh?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
We've been poisoning our oceans for decades. Between that and The BP spill, what are we suppose to expect?

I know what I expect, a gradual decline in the quality of sea food and a gradual decrease in the basic health benefits and safety of those foods.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The very idea that we need authorization to put anything in our body is baseless at best, and one more example of how the government treats you like a child.

I used to tell my kids not to put pennies in their mouths, and they are old enough now to figure out why. Sure, it tastes great, but it might kill you or make you sick.

So don't eat GMO, demand labeling, and vote with your money. The only thing people should be asking for is the right to know what is in their food.

If there is a toxin in the seafood from the BP oil spill, it is not the government's job to tell you it's bad for you. You accept that you pay them money in taxes and they steal it through inflation, and then you question the data on whether you should eat seafood that has been marinated in oil and corexit.

Why legitimize the government's ability to discern what is and is not safe? Take responsibility for your own actions and health and you'll realize you just cut billions out of the budget that is such a huge issue.

America is leaving me with a heavy heart these days, and a headache.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
All seafood is bad for pregnant women because of mercury. Do you hear of many asian people having cancer and bad birthrate no and they pollute the hell out of their water and eat a ton of seafood.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by teotwawki77
All seafood is bad for pregnant women because of mercury. Do you hear of many asian people having cancer and bad birthrate no and they pollute the hell out of their water and eat a ton of seafood.

Our seafood will take the corrosion off of your battery terminals, theirs will light your way in a dark cave because it glows in the dark.

Take a pill, shut up and eat your seafood!

It's silly, because pick any meat product or produce and I can find data that it will eventually kill you.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

Whats your point what do you eat air. I hunt and kill food and catch my own seafood and grow my own garden.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

Who cares about your seafood, as long as Wall Street is happy. This is where your "Corexit" problems came from.

www.nalco.com... Note: 2003

Look here, shareholders are happy. www.tickerspy.com...

end sarc.

edit on 17-10-2011 by drblair because: info

top topics

join