It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Risking my ATS reputation here, but your the only ones that might know.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I do realize that I am risking my reputation however small it may be, by asking this and I might have to start a new account, or risk forever being classified as one of "Those people"

Ever since I was young I have been able to make this... sound, I guess you could call it. Only.. Its not a sound. Only I can hear it, and it sort of sounds like a cross between a fan, ocean waves, and TV static, and if I "push" it It sounds a little like a big-cat roar, but I have to blink to do that. When I was younger I had to either move my ears or my eyebrows up to do it (I dont remember exactly) but now I guess I have done it so often I can do it while carrying out a conversation. There are varying levels of "intensity" As I can make it "louder" or "softer". To make it Really loud (loud enough I can block out what other people are saying) I have to contract my abs slightly and maybe wince a little, (comes in handy when getting yelled at by your boss.) I would describe how I do it as well, I dont know, I just, im not sure, I think I might disfocus my eyes for a split second and it feels like a slight pressure (not sure if up or down) on my brow and ears (inner) and when I release it after holding it it feels like a tightening on the underside of my jaw. I have felt myself when Im doing it and I can feel no physical tightening or bloating. Wait!!! I just remembered somthing that It sounds really close to! A seashell, Like when you listen to one? yeah thats the sound as close as I have ever heard, its like that, but I can flux it. Oh and I dont know If this is relevant, but I can only hold it for "x" amount of time. After a while it starts to go in and out and my eyes feel pressureized slightly, but not painfully. Also, the harder I go the shorter I can go, and the softer I go the longer I can go. Also, sorry If this post is a little ramshackle, Its just hard to discribe

It is almost always on purpose I do it, most usually to entertain myself (doing it to the beat of a song xD)
or to block out what sombody is saying. I have also noticed that when I am nervous or feel endangered I do it unconsiously.
edit on 17-10-2011 by spw184 because: Screwed up and pressed enter before typing post.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by spw184

Never hit Enter before you're ready to ..

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha
reply to post by spw184

Never hit Enter before you're ready to ..

Lol it was an accident xD

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I've made The Grudge noise ever since I was a kid.

I think I know what you are referring to though. Like a pressure in the inner ear? I've just made it happen now. Sort of like an internal yawn.
edit on 17-10-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by spw184

I know exactly what this is as it bugged me for years after I discovered I could do this too, it is not uncommon, just not often talked about for fear of ridicule.

It is voluntary movement of a part of the ear called the Tensor tympani muscle...

Contracting muscles produce vibration and sound.[4] Slow twitch fibers produce 10 to 30 contractions per second (equivalent to 10 to 30 Hz sound frequency). Fast twitch fibers produce 30 to 70 contractions per second (equivalent to 30 to 70 Hz sound frequency).[5] The vibration can be witnessed and felt by highly tensing one's muscles, as when making a firm fist. The sound can be heard by pressing a highly tensed muscle against the ear, again a firm fist is a good example. The sound is usually described as a rumbling sound. Some individuals can voluntarily produce this rumbling sound by contracting the tensor tympani muscle of the middle ear. The rumbling sound can also be heard when the neck or jaw muscles are highly tensed as when yawning deeply. This phenomenon is known since (at least) 1884 (cf : Tillaux Paul Jules, Traité d’Anatomie topographique avec applications à la chirurgie, Paris Asselin et Houzeau publishers (4°ed. 1884, p.125 )).

Tensor Tympani Muscle

It has been posted about quite a lot on ATS but for some reason, people quite often ignore the rational explanation for what it is and would rather believe they have super powers

Do not be embarrased by posting a thread like this, I think it is educational and if you do not ask, someone else will.

edit on 17-10-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by spw184

So, what is it that we might know (from the title)? Edit: Oh, I guess someone DID know!

What you're describing reminds me a little of one of my nephews. He was always experimenting with strange little sounds he could make. What you're doing doesn't sound too weird to me, and it certainly doesn't risk your reputation with ME.

edit on 10/17/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O
reply to post by spw184

I know exactly what this is as it bugged me for years after I discovered I could do this too, it is not uncommon, just not often talked about for fear of ridicule.

It is voluntary movement of a part of the ear called the Tensor tympani muscle...

Contracting muscles produce vibration and sound.[4] Slow twitch fibers produce 10 to 30 contractions per second (equivalent to 10 to 30 Hz sound frequency). Fast twitch fibers produce 30 to 70 contractions per second (equivalent to 30 to 70 Hz sound frequency).[5] The vibration can be witnessed and felt by highly tensing one's muscles, as when making a firm fist. The sound can be heard by pressing a highly tensed muscle against the ear, again a firm fist is a good example. The sound is usually described as a rumbling sound. Some individuals can voluntarily produce this rumbling sound by contracting the tensor tympani muscle of the middle ear. The rumbling sound can also be heard when the neck or jaw muscles are highly tensed as when yawning deeply. This phenomenon is known since (at least) 1884 (cf : Tillaux Paul Jules, Traité d’Anatomie topographique avec applications à la chirurgie, Paris Asselin et Houzeau publishers (4°ed. 1884, p.125 )).

Tensor Tympani Muscle

It has been posted about quite a lot on ATS but for some reason, people quite often ignore the rational explanation for what it is and would rather believe they have super powers

Do not be embarrased by posting a thread like this, I think it is educational and if you do not ask, someone else will.

edit on 17-10-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

Omg thank god!! I didn't think it was anything paranormal, but i figured people in the metaphysics thread would know about it. Ive always been scared to ask IRL because I dont want them to be all like "freak >->"
Omg I want to hug you right now

If you look at my posts in the other threads on ATS, you can see that im not some wierd hippy dude, and am pretty OS-ish when in comes to most stuff.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

That's the muscle that can go nuts as a herald to an episode of sleep paralysis too right?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by spw184
... im not some wierd hippy dude...

Yeah, right... That's what they all say.

Glad you got your answer.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

... im not some wierd hippy dude...

Yeah, right... That's what they all say.

Glad you got your answer.

lolz, youve seen my posts Bev.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Omg I want to hug you right now

Well that is certainly a first on ATS for me

Lets meet half way and call it epic handshake time!

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
reply to post by XXXN3O

That's the muscle that can go nuts as a herald to an episode of sleep paralysis too right?

Yep, not too sure if it can cause sleep paralysis but it can rumble before or during it.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by spw184

Yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about, I'm doing it right now even. I never thought about what causes it before. When I was a kid, I used to think that I could test my hearing by being able to hear the noise. Mostly I do it by smiling really hard and flexing a set of muscles between the lips and the ears.

Good to find an answer. Nothing wrong with asking. Don't worry about what people think so much, it's the one thing that takes our freedoms away the most.
edit on 17-10-2011 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

EPIC HANDSHAKE FTW

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

Originally posted by Suspiria
reply to post by XXXN3O

Yep, not too sure if it can cause sleep paralysis but it can rumble before or during it.

Might it also be the cause of insomnia?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
reply to post by spw184

Yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about, I'm doing it right now even. I never thought about what causes it before. When I was a kid, I used to think that I could test my hearing by being able to hear the noise. Mostly I do it by smiling really hard and flexing a set of muscles between the lips and the ears.

I just figured it has somthing to do with me being able to adjust the air pressure in my head somehow. I was wrong xD I dont have to smile or anything, It comes so naturally you cant tell im doing it

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
i've never had this sound ability but i've had sleep paralasys in the past and it terrified me when i was younger, i maybe get it 1 or 2 times a year now. didn't know what it was until someone in ATS told me. i even asked about it IRL but no-one knew what i was talking about. Isn't ATS great sometimes.

edit on 17/10/2011 by listerofsmeg because: additions

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by spw184

try reading up on auditory hallucinations especially in regards to hypnosis, I don't think its a coincidence that is happens partly subconsciously - hope you get closer to finding your answers

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by yyyyyyyyyy
reply to post by spw184

try reading up on auditory hallucinations especially in regards to hypnosis, I don't think its a coincidence that is happens partly subconsciously - hope you get closer to finding your answers

I already got my answer tyvm

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by spw184

Why is it so important to you how others feel about you, it never bothers me! If people dont like me or think of me as one of "those people" as you put it, then why should I care?

I really could not give a flying cahoot what others think, lol. I am who I am and will change for no one, never. To do so means that I will not be myself. I have a family and I love others, thats partly whats wrong with society, how people are ridiculed because they make others uncomfortable.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join