It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE best survival vehicle, that isn't even sold in America.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I would rather go for the luxuary line Elemental camper.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by abecedarian

I like American. You haven't lived until you've seen a stock c-10 4x4 in 5 feet of water, with one hillbilly driving while the other straddles the engine spraying ether down the intake to keep it running and yelling commands to keep him in the flooded road. Then watched them pull the spark plugs on the other side, kick it over to clear the cylinders, and went on 50 miles to town and back.

bah.. Old WWII willys jeep would rider around that thing any day.

Throttle handle..check
Sealed engine...check..
Independent suspension....check
Snorkle...Check
Engine will run on gas or moonshine ( yep moonshine)...check.

When I was a kid, we took a used Willys army jeep, attached the snorkle, packed our gear in igloo coolers that float.
Sat on the top of the seatbacks, pulled out the throttle control, and steered with our feet to cross water that was over 4 ft deep.

You don't need all that steel and crap to go where you want to.

Rednecks have been going places in 4x4's that thing wouldnt go for decades

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZIPMATT
I thought it would at least have been a heli , which run on kerosene , or is that jets....?
AIM HIGH ...

You are thinking of JP-5 and JP-8 jet fuel. They are kerosene based but are not just kerosene.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

aH now I'll know the right numbers ...

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The best survival vehicle is one which doesn't require visits to the local Thunderdome post-SHTF.
The French and the Germans used to have the right idea -

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

I suggest the Rokon 2WD motorcycle.
It can go thru 2 feet of water or snow..
and can climb a 60% steep hill.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by WHOS READY

that's not the best survival truck... this is- www.youtube.com...

gonna buy me 3 of them!!.lol.

OMG.. hihihi..
What a fantastic car.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

Willys jeeps used solid axles, in fact, almost all jeeps do. The only real jeep that ever used any form of independent suspension was the last Jeep used by the military, can't remember the name but it was junk. Jeeps do great, until they find a hill, then they roll down it.

edit on 17-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The best Survival vehicle is the old military 6x6 Deuce and a Half.

Multi-Fuel turbo charged engine will run on just about anything. Automatic transmission fluid, jet fuel, gasoline, diesel, bacon grease...contaminated fuels...it'll burn ANYTHING.

You used to be able to buy them at DRMO but I think they were selling so well recently....they changed their classification status and you can't buy them from DRMO anymore.

THAT truck is THE best Survival vehicle ever manufactured.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Here is mine. Camperized inside.

Truck

Eat your heart out Strawberry.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Forget that thing and get a landrover defender or discovery.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

Defender. The Discovery is too complicated, all that computer-controlled suspension and stuff.

I have an ancient Series III Land-Rover, the Defender’s daddy, that is unbeatable off-road. Trouble is it’s mostly at the garage being fixed. Land-Rovers are notoriously unreliable. And this one is about thirty years old.

The best ‘survival vehicle’ in the world is a Toyota Hilux (on which the 4Runner is based). How do we know this? Because militants, paramilitaries, irregular armed forces and others whose lives literally depend on the reliability and go-anywhere capability of their machines overwhelmingly prefer the Hilux. Even US Special Forces in Afghanistan use it.

Which leads me to wonder why the US military plumped for the huge (too wide for many third world streets), heavy, gas-guzzling, expensive, overcomplicated and generally totally-useless-for-offroad-purposes Hummer. Maybe they were fantasizing about something like this...

edit on 20/10/11 by Astyanax because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join