It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE best survival vehicle, that isn't even sold in America.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by yourmaker

Forgot the most deceptive fluid of all, the transmission fluid. If it's an automatic. Your axle or axles, and transfer case also have gear oil in them. Brake fluid also.
edit on 16-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

Yes, I drive auto, I never knew that.

That's exactly why I posted, thank you very much. I would've never found that by myself.

now dcskater, this is where I google. instead of getting evolutionsend to explain it all to me and wasting precious time.

edit on 16-10-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater

Google is not human but does have all of the answers to fixing your car problems

No no, I don't have car problems myself. But if I were to, in a survival situation, in my current state, I would be walking within minutes and giving up all consideration of driving anytime soon. So while I have the chance to ask, maybe I can learn something extremely useful that I couldn't find or get from google.

People replied while I was typing my post so I don't know if you'll see it but...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm a diesel mechanic by training, cell site technician by necessity.
edit on 10/16/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian

Google is not human but does have all of the answers to fixing your car problems

No no, I don't have car problems myself. But if I were to, in a survival situation, in my current state, I would be walking within minutes and giving up all consideration of driving anytime soon. So while I have the chance to ask, maybe I can learn something extremely useful that I couldn't find or get from google.

People replied while I was typing my post so I don't know if you'll see it but...

THANK YOU!! seriously lol. I'm going to research every bit of that. I can't thank you enough, thats the info I need in a nice package for easy learning.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I think the best survival vehicle in a swampy muddy mess would be an air boat. throw a small dirt bike in the boat to get around where the boat cant.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

well if you were in a survival situation and had car trouble you would pretty much be screwed I would think... There would be no place for you to get parts or fluides, or tools if you dont already have them...not days with cars you pretty much need to be a mechanic and have specialty tools and stuff... I went to school for 3 years for mechanics and autobody and working with my dad since I was 15 so I ahve allot of car experience and unless you had probably and older stuff you would pretty much be screwed and really you would probably be screwed either way.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian

THANK YOU!! seriously lol. I'm going to research every bit of that. I can't thank you enough, thats the info I need in a nice package for easy learning.

Not sure you need to research "every bit" but I'm a firm believer that everyone that drives a vehicle should know how and why the vehicle operates. And even though vehicles have seemingly become more complicated than they need to be, nearly every one has pistons and crankshaft, transmission, gears, tires and brakes. [I say nearly every one because of Mazda and their rotary engines which don't have pistons, but otherwise are the same.]
Anyone with time to sit down and rationalize what they're looking at can work on a vehicle, or at least remove and replace broken items such as engine or transmission. I'm not saying that working on vehicles is easy, and matter-of-fact much of the work is quite difficult and involved, but most work on a vehicle can be done with basic hand tools, a jack, and maybe a pry bar and hammer. Rebuilding an engine, if parts are available, can be done with basic tools, a couple soda cans, fine sand paper and a few hose clamps (don't ask for details)... replacing an engine can be done with basic tools, a few ratcheting straps (think for tying down a motorcycle for instance) and a nearby tree.

Understanding how the parts fit together (engine, transmission, etc) and how thing works is the first obstacle to overcome.

As an aside, a pin hole leak in the radiator can usually be repaired by either (or both) cracking an egg or two or adding black pepper in the radiator. The up-side to either of these are they are environmentally friendly. The down-side? They are only temporary.

edit on 10/16/2011 by abecedarian because: spelling

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by strafgod
I think the best survival vehicle in a swampy muddy mess would be an air boat. throw a small dirt bike in the boat to get around where the boat cant.

Dirt bike? You mean like a 2 stroke motorcycle?
How do you get the air boat to the next swamp you have to cross? Tug it with the bike?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Reply to post by abecedarian

Im not talking about traveling the world with it.
Its just an idea for those who live in the south.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

I know. I was just saying.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidsHope

Originally posted by Expat888
I'll stick to good old-fashioned feet.. No worries over petrol, spare parts, getting stuck, noise..
Able to get places where vehicles can't go...

Feet work but not as fast......Consider an al terrain bicycle. with baskets and bags. You could easily hit any terrain with tent food etc and be 100 miles away in 6 hours. I can do it., Easily..I have already done so as a test.
No need to walk..but you do need a good bike
DH

highly impractical out in the jungles of s.e asia due to terrain , vegetation, unexploded 40 year old u.s ordinance.. The only things I carry are my custom made Randall thats served me well for 46 years, 5ft ironwood staff, change of clothes, mobile w solar charger and leather bag to carry what I gather from the jungle in. Am able to find/make everything I need out here. Aside from annual trip downriver I prefer to stay far from people seen too much of human nature and the farther from people the better...

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I was on an all expense paid 13 month long vacation trip to S.E. Asia 43 years ago and I am lucky to get 24 hours of sleep a week because of aches and pains from the experience.. I made it home with my issue Ka-Bar, it was stolen but replaced with a couple more of them.. There's plenty of deer, wild hogs and smaller critters around here so I should have plenty of protein if I can't get to the store or there isn't any open... I actually have a 2 1/2 horsepower minibike to get around the wooded acreage I live on.. I will be ordering a few 4 cycle bicycle engine kits for the bicycles I have along with repair parts and tools from when I owned a couple of bicycle shops..

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
You can get a Tatra 813 or 815 in the States but it will still have to be imported. You just need to find a dealer and have a lot of cash available. These things are not cheap.

The Bureau of Land Management in Elko, Nevada has a couple of the Tatra 815 8x8s.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
The truck's made in the Czech Republic (former Czechoslovakia) and is named after the Slovak mountain range, the Tatra Mountains.
Just check out its success rate in the Paris-Dakar rally.- HERE
Sadly, it's been usurped by the Kamaz. Really cool trucks though.
However, for a survival situation, the Tatras are way too big. I'd go with a Unimog -

This page is in French (apologies to those who don't speak the language) but you can look at the pictures - UNIMOG Expedition

A couple of years ago we had one parked outside Tesco supermarket here. it was German registered and the retired couple who owned it had basically travelled around the world in it. Extremely impressive vehicle
edit on 17-10-2011 by Aestheteka because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I thought it would at least have been a heli , which run on kerosene , or is that jets....?
AIM HIGH ...

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Here's my survival vehicle. And I'm sure I'd get my hands on one in a SHTF scenario.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Thats one cool truck, but I'll stick to quads and dirtbikes

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

yep good old uncle sams tour agency all expense paid holidays do that to a person.. get plenty sleepless nights yet after 4 tours.. The old k-bars good blades last forever can still find a few in the markets over here (amazing what one finds in the markets over here..) sounds like a great place you have there with everything you need .. And no monsoons there .. Makes it even harder travel during monsoon season between the rains and flooding in low areas.. For where your at the bikes work perfect the cities here still have alot of the old honda's all over some things never change ..

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I dont know but I think the winner goes to the Americans

I dont even know how that is possible or how you can drive, thats crazy.

"You guys are stupid!"
edit on 17-10-2011 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Thought you all might like this..www.atonimpulse.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
If you use the Tatra to bug out, plan on making a one way trip. I can't even imagine the fuel consumption rate of a vehicle that size. I wouldn't plan on finding enough diesel to be able to fill it up again. I've seen lots of videos of them before. They're extremely capable but not very low key at all.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join