THE best survival vehicle, that isn't even sold in America.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

Look at the black pipework going up and over the cab. That's a snorkel.

A vehicle snorkel is the land-based equivalent of the submarine snorkel which allowed submarines to use diesel engines while submerged. Snorkels, when used by vehicles with air-breathing internal combustion engines, allow limited deep fording capability for river crossing or amphibious landing operations.

When that pipework goes completely under, then he would be s.o.l.
edit on 16-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
More Power! Gas guzzler...nothing near survival needs. This thing probably gets almost 5 miles per gallon. that will get it maybe 50 miles max. Not much for survival. Forget the gas guzzlers and know you will have to depend on your own strength to get you out of harms way if that is even possible.
This is a massive trucking gas guzzler that you would have to haul 10-- 55 gallon drums on to get it any distance. if you could indeed find the gas. Won't happen. not a chance...but it is a cute looking rendition of the good ole boys idea of surviving. If any good ole boys take this thing out for a screaming escape, they will get nowhere but across the first creekbed
DH

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I'll stick to good old-fashioned feet.. No worries over petrol, spare parts, getting stuck, noise..
Able to get places where vehicles can't go...

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I have zero knowledge about cars, trucks, automobiles in general.

Can someone with extensive knowledge about cars perhaps write up a brief summary of what you need to know, or should know when dealing with them?

Sadly, I drive yes. 2006 Pontiac pursuit. But I swear I have this mental block where I can't learn about cars, even if I try.
I need basics. What is good to know?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

Well if you add another 2ft of water the guy driving better have a snorkle otherwise the one on the engine wont be of much use
unless the truck can drive itself

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

If it breaks take it to a mechanic....google is your friend

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

"Good ole boys" use ATVs nowadays. This is more like a rich city boy's survival "vehicle".

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

The most basic car idea is to know all of your fluids and how to change them. It's as good a place to start as any.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater

If it breaks take it to a mechanic....google is your friend

I take it to Tony, he owns a shop near the harbor, good guy.....google isn't human.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
I'll stick to good old-fashioned feet.. No worries over petrol, spare parts, getting stuck, noise..
Able to get places where vehicles can't go...

Feet work but not as fast......Consider an al terrain bicycle. with baskets and bags. You could easily hit any terrain with tent food etc and be 100 miles away in 6 hours. I can do it., Easily..I have already done so as a test.
No need to walk..but you do need a good bike
DH

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I'm all for a horse, or a bicycle. Neither require petrol, especially since most 'survival' scenarios most people imagine involves the total breakdown of society.
Now, if you want to start talking about nuclear powered vehicles, where one adapts any petrol based ride for use with an all electric engine powered by a safe Radioisotope Thermal Generator (RTG), then, we might have something to talk about.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

I do cross country mountain biking. Hauling gear over any kind of terrain on a bike would be difficult and energy consuming.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

The most basic car idea is to know all of your fluids and how to change them. It's as good a place to start as any.

Off the top of my head, that would be gas, oil, windshield wiper fluid and antifreeze?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

that's not the best survival truck... this is- www.youtube.com...

gonna buy me 3 of them!!.lol.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
get a horse. because when the shtf gasoline will be rationed and if you're lucky you'll have enough to run your lawn mower.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Google is not human but does have all of the answers to fixing your car problems

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
I have zero knowledge about cars, trucks, automobiles in general.

Can someone with extensive knowledge about cars perhaps write up a brief summary of what you need to know, or should know when dealing with them?

Sadly, I drive yes. 2006 Pontiac pursuit. But I swear I have this mental block where I can't learn about cars, even if I try.
I need basics. What is good to know?

6 most important things about vehicles: 1-engine, 2-transmission, 3-tires, 4-brakes, 5-chassis and 6-driver.
1) The engine requires maintenance and will wear out but regular oil & fiter changes help. Electronics on engines will also fail, eventually. Having an engine which uses parts used on a lot of vehicles means more spare parts are available.
2) Preferably, a manual transmission should be involved as they are not as complex as automatics. As with the engine, a transmission that has been used in multiple vehicles increases the number of spares / potential replacements out there. It's also MUCH easier to "bump start" a manual transmission vehicle.
3) Tires are a disposable, generally, but having a rim size that is common with many vehicles again increases your pool of spares. As far as trucks go, a 15" rim 7" wide gives you the widest choice of tires. In an off-road / survival situation, you'd probably want to have a selection of tire tubes available to you as well as patch kits (both plug and patch): if a tire is punctured, you can tube it or patch the tire (or tube if it gets punctured). A compressor would likely be necessary for field repairs.
4) Brakes wear out. A spare set of shoes / pads, caliper and wheel cylinder rebuild kits and plenty of brake fluid should be on hand. In a pinch, engine oil or transmission / hydraulic fluid could be used as brake fluid but their ability to perform at high speed braking conditions is highly reduced due to their chemical structure and inability to work at the temperatures brakes often operate.
5) Everything on the chassis needs to be maintained properly. Grease ball and u-joints, etc.
6) The driver should know everything about their vehicle: maintenance, operation, etc and be able to repair brakes and such, and be able to remove and replace major components such as engine or transmission, wheels, tires, etc.

There is much more to consider than what I've mentioned though as my list is fairly general. Other considerations depend on the vehicle you choose.

link   

Forgot the most deceptive fluid of all, the transmission fluid. If it's an automatic. Your axle or axles, and transfer case also have gear oil in them. Brake fluid also.
edit on 16-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by randomname
get a horse. because when the shtf gasoline will be rationed and if you're lucky you'll have enough to run your lawn mower.

But you have to feed a horse and horses eat more then a person...

Get a sail boat, rig it up with solar and wind power, strengthen the hull, build a system to distill salt water, learn to fish, grow some plants on your boat.

Either that or you would be better off on foot, you are an all terrain vehicle you can swim/walk/run/climb through just about anything.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater

Google is not human but does have all of the answers to fixing your car problems

No no, I don't have car problems myself. But if I were to, in a survival situation, in my current state, I would be walking within minutes and giving up all consideration of driving anytime soon. So while I have the chance to ask, maybe I can learn something extremely useful that I couldn't find or get from google.

new topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join