It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE best survival vehicle, that isn't even sold in America.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Yep, sorry guys, if you want a Tatra 813 8x8 you'll have to get one imported.

Obligatory youtube video displaying capabilities in mud and water:

For more information:
source

The first prototype already built in 1960 utilized existing Tatra T138 assemblies in 4x4 full time all wheel drive, which was also another first for Tatra. After the initial trials however the designers decided to develop and expand the concepts onto 8x8 all wheel drive all-terrain vehicle. The basis of the design thus became the modular chassis of T813. Successor is the Tatra T815 model

The truck in the video is a T813 KOLOS.

Now that's a truck!

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I'd like to try that in my '88 4Runner.

edit on 10/16/2011 by abecedarian because: to add video (not my truck though)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Your 4runner would float away in that. I know it's difficult to get perspective in the video, but that truck is massive. Notice the kids swimming in the area where the truck went through.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
ummm..yeah. Just because it has some good muddin' capabilities doesn't make it THE best for survival. Its loud, huge, probably insane on gas/diesel, and finding parts in SHTF probably wouldn't be simple. It actually seems like a very limiting vehicle.

That said, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to take her out for a spin and get a little dirty.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

I know.

But with proper gearing and appropriate size / tread tires (I can fit 35" tires on mine) and locked axles, it'd still be fun to try.

BTW, check out the vid I edited into my post.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

I think my option, the older 4Runner, is still one of the best options due to 4wd, comparatively short wheelbase and narrow track (compared to full size trucks) and cargo space.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Were the guy depicted in the video in a survival situation he'd be a goner. Took him forever to get out of that mud-hole. And the smoke could be seen for miles!

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
hmm,
notice he didnt go in the deep mud

speaking form experience, once your tyres are full of mud and you have your diff/axle on the ground from wheel spins, you are going nowhere from then, no matter how many drive wheels you have

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I think the 4runner would be pretty decent. There are a lot of trucks/suvs that would make nice vehicles in a SHTF situation. I don't know if I have seen one I could flat-out declare was "the best" yet.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

That was kind of the "obligatory" joke before the video. Can you imagine going to autozone and asking for parts for something called a Tatra?

"No, don't see Tatra."
"Um, you sure it's not a Toyota?"

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalunom
Were the guy depicted in the video in a survival situation he'd be a goner. Took him forever to get out of that mud-hole. And the smoke could be seen for miles!

Quite possibly, but the smoke is due to being diesel powered and too much fuel being injected compared to the air being injested to combust the fuel. Many modern diesel engines from Cummins, Caterpillar and Detroit Diesel emit significantly less smoke due to controlling injection electronically, only adding enough fuel to match air being injested. Such engines' presence would be more easily identified by the noise than the emissions.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Highlander64

Not always true. When you're dealing with heavy trucks, they will sink down and dig into firm earth eventually.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by Wolf321

That was kind of the "obligatory" joke before the video. Can you imagine going to autozone and asking for parts for something called a Tatra?

"No, don't see Tatra."
"Um, you sure it's not a Toyota?"

So, a 4Runner is a good option, particularly the 4 cylinder.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I like American. You haven't lived until you've seen a stock c-10 4x4 in 5 feet of water, with one hillbilly driving while the other straddles the engine spraying ether down the intake to keep it running and yelling commands to keep him in the flooded road. Then watched them pull the spark plugs on the other side, kick it over to clear the cylinders, and went on 50 miles to town and back.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

I like American. You haven't lived until you've seen a stock c-10 4x4 in 5 feet of water, with one hillbilly driving while the other straddles the engine spraying ether down the intake to keep it running and yelling commands to keep him in the flooded road. Then watched them pull the spark plugs on the other side, kick it over to clear the cylinders, and went on 50 miles to town and back.

You sound like my uncle looking for the best fishing hole.

But the smarter option would be a snorkle to keep the water away from the intake, and elevated breather tubes to the differentials and transmission.
edit on 10/16/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
my old 73 baja bug used to out mud my best buddies toyota 4runner in mud situations on a regular basis...

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

I did not do this, I enjoyed watching and debating their chances of making it with a friend from a safe distance. I was thinking they would make it, because I also saw that truck rammed between two boulders and spinning all tires while ripping into the bodywork. They managed to get through that as well. It's one tough truck, and it was still working the last I saw it.

They also got paid well for their daring stunts. They were the only ones that tried to leave our little road while it was flooding. Since the river had been over the road for two weeks, we all were running out of essentials. They had a 4x4 hunting truck and wanted to give it a try. After 4 hours with chain saws and pretty much ramming stumps/mud out of their way, they made it out. The road was only 2 miles long, but it took 4 hours for them to get out. We all watched.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
put that truck in another 2 ft of water and he wont survive much of anything...I love the massive amounts of dark black smoke coming out of the exhaust

I would rather have a submarine or strong sail boat to survive with then a truck since you will have to worry more about flooding then anything else...

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

Good luck going through a heavily wooded area in that thing. lol

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by josh2009s

Through? You mean over? Yes, going over the trees does sound easier.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join