It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large oil reserves found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Large oil reserves found

BY NO� CRUZ SERRANO/EL UNIVERSAL
August 30, 2004

Three years of exploration has enabled Pemex to map oilfields that the state-owned oil monopoly believes will more than double the nation's known crude oil reserves.

Some good news for once, and its in the gulf of Mexico!
link to story here, john
www.el-universal.com.mx...

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Lucky it wasn't found in a country that has dictator, a small amount of chemicals and a small tin-pot army. We might have another war on our hands!

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I think we're going to be seeing more and more discoveries of this type as we come more and more to the conclusion that earth's oil supply isn't dependant on fossils but rather entrapped carbon deposits deep within the planet itself. More proof of this is the re-filling of once thought depleted reserves from underneath that some are already reporting.

Yeah, thats all well and good...but I'm sure somebody's gonna have a beef with it. So, without further delay, where's our first wet blanket?

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
I think we're going to be seeing more and more discoveries of this type as we come more and more to the conclusion that earth's oil supply isn't dependant on fossils but rather entrapped carbon deposits deep within the planet itself. More proof of this is the re-filling of once thought depleted reserves from underneath that some are already reporting.

Oil does come from fossils, it has the light carbon chareteristic of life. As for the oil fields re-filling not conclusive work has yet been done to identify if this is the case.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rock Hunter
[
Oil does come from fossils

I don't doubt that one iota. I didn't say oil doesn't come from fossils. I said it may not be dependant opon them.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
so what do you actually mean then?? Oil does not come from anywhere else, like "some deep carbon source"

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Wow...we really are going to pollute our Earth right down to the last drop. I was kind of hoping that it would force them to turn to cleaner and environmentally safe methods, rather than pollution! Oh well, its a pipe dream I guess...

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
Wow...we really are going to pollute our Earth right down to the last drop. I was kind of hoping that it would force them to turn to cleaner and environmentally safe methods, rather than pollution! Oh well, its a pipe dream I guess...

That's exactly what i hoped for.. that doesnt mean we cant look for ways to create and distribute free energy on a wide scale.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
we shoulda annexed mexico a long time ago.....but seriously this is great news

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Actually there is a theory that oil is formed not from organic material but material from space that settled deep within the earth billions of years ago.

www.space.com...
Excerpts from the link above are posted below:
"Oil is best found near impact structures. Oil forms deep underground from non-biological processes."

"The classical view is that source rocks must have layers containing the bodies of dead plants and animals and that these gradually change to oil. The controversial view is that all basement rocks have the potential to be source rocks because oil has non-biological origins deep within the Earth."

article was by Michael Paine on space.com

The article explains that Russians with these ideas are having a good deal of luck in finding oil. The article also points out that if these theories are proved too, it could be too much of a good thing.

Here's a thought along those lines. Oil prices could plummet and we would no longer feel a need to use cleaner alternative fuels. We could in fact find so much oil that the oil industry loses money and we could end up with a disastrous green house effect on the planet. Actually I don't believe we would be able to extract the oil that cheaply if it was deep underground so I don't believe we'll have a problem there even if this theory is proved true.

[edit on 30-8-2004 by orionthehunter]

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
After reading this thread I have to wonder. Who is worse? Us or the greedy oil tycoons? We demand the oil as can clearly be seen in this thread, and they provide us with it. We are the black drug junkies and they are our dealers...we are dooming ourselves!

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rock Hunter
Oil does come from fossils, it has the light carbon chareteristic of life. As for the oil fields re-filling not conclusive work has yet been done to identify if this is the case.

What do you mean by 'light carbon'? A carbon atom is a carbon atom, regardless of what it was used for. All living things on Earth are carbon-based life forms (including us); also, the majority of the Earth's crust is made up of carbon.

Hydrogen, oxygen, carbon, and silicon... those four elements make reality as we humans understand it possible!

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
the actual real fear about loss of oil is that we will no longer be able to make plastic. energy we can drum up no problem from plenty of sources (although at higher cost) aworld without the luxury of plastic well, thats just scary (or more what people will be willingto do not to be the ones without)

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   
A new growth industry...

Landfill plastic mining. Now there's a cave-in I wouldn't want to see!

Seriously, I see this as a definite future industry. Recovering our own waste products will become much more viable as natural resources become more scarce.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
Landfill plastic mining. Now there's a cave-in I wouldn't want to see!

I've often thought of that.. people are far from willing to recycle as a whole and our perfectly usable materials get buried back in the earth from which they came. Most recyclable plastics are simple to reform.. just a little heat. Tires were once recyclable until the tire companies began using a finishing product that totally flushes that possibility. A huge waste product just because they last a little longer.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I for one would love to see this theroy proven, To see the price of oil drop dramatically, and to see the U.S. stop sending billions to the middle east so they can buy weapons to attack us with. No one would ever again have any need to deal with the middle east and we could simply let them degenerate back into barbarism.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
No one would ever again have any need to deal with the middle east and we could simply let them degenerate back into barbarism.

Ah, I can't belive you would think that. No way those fine, upstanding people would revert to that now would they?

In all seriousness, thanks to those who found some research on the non-organic sources I was talking about. I hadn't really had time to find them but I did find an older ATS thread that has some good research.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join