It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elenin is here, so... ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Hello, i thought i would share this article posted on the 'Russia Today' website earlier this evening;

The “Doomsday Comet” Elenin will make its closest approach to Earth on Sunday, when it is expected to come to within 22 million miles of our planet – an event widely feared. ­At the same time, astronomers say it poses little threat to our planet. In August, the comet started disintegrating when it was blasted by a powerful solar storm, and today it will reach its closest point to Earth in the form of debris.

Read the rest here: rt.com...

Note that it is Sunday the 16th right now.

I'm rather surprised that there are not many popular threads on Elenin today. The reason for that is well, if you have been hearing the rumours about mothership's, nibiru, and deathstars... you would think there would be a bit of a panic going on seeing as Elenin is at its closest distance to the earth.

I think if Elenin really was a mothership and the end of the world, it would of started by now. Somehow i beg to differ and really have not noticed anything strange going on today.

However, it might be worth looking in the skies for a bit over the next 24 hours, in the event that the comet is visible. I'm not totally sure about the facts, although there was speculation the comet had broken up, so if anything it will be more dim and possibly harder to see (if at all).

Here's also a wikipedia link that mentions the passing by date as of 16th October 2011 (sunday).
en.wikipedia.org...

In any case, there will be no extinction level event (apparantly), even at its closest position to the earth today, it is still in excess of 20,000,000 miles away.

So has anybody spotted Elenin flying past yet? or better, know of any (amateur-)astronomers who may have taken a close up view within the past/next 24 hours (considering it may not be visible with the naked eye).
edit on 16/10/2011 by InsideYourMind because: spelling

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Absco

I'm sorry, but did you bother actually reading the post?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
If Elenin were harboring an alien ship somehow, it would make sense that they would ride their trajectory until they were close to Earth, then use the ship's power to come the rest of the way in.

We still have a few days until the aliens arrive to harvest our souls. Everyone should call in sick for the next few days and just really take this time to party it up.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Elenin is no more.
No need to go out looking for it, it's gone, deceased, shuffled off it's mortal coil.
It is an ex-comet.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Elenin was an aerosol dispersal mechanism. Can't you feel the cool spray today?

Namaste!

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

Have a look up there now if its clear, to the right of the moon roughly south east . The brightest thing in the skies bar the moon . I have been told its venus but who knows what ? It appears to move quicker than the moon does .If you sit and watch long enough in a good spot uphill w a hammock there are lots of things to see going on up there .
I am unsure why they say the debris is travelling with the nucleus , When a comet is supposed to have a tail sometimes millions of miles long , it is because the solar wind is blasting at the rubble pile which had accumulated on the nucleus , during its travels through space . There could be mountains of space debris swinging in round behind the nucleus , but am expecting someone to jump in and say why not . Adter all it is travelling very close along the ecliptic plane , so the debris could now be in the asteroid belt , blasted there by the recent cmes , or it could be still where the nucleus is?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
It's Jupiter, not Venus.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ZIPMATT

Unfortunately, its come over really cloudly right now where i am. I read on several blog postings/sources a few days ago where it mentioned Elenin would be around 6-7 magnitude over the weekend. Considering 6 is the dimmest magnitude visible to the human eye, it would be hard to spot unless its a very clear night.

Btw, the brightest thing in the sky (but the moon) is Jupiter. Jupiter is around the vicinity of the moon just after sunset at the moment.

edit on 16/10/2011 by InsideYourMind because: quote box messed up

edit on 16/10/2011 by InsideYourMind because: okay its putting my reply inside your quote for some reason...

edit on 16/10/2011 by InsideYourMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Yeah, I don't see anything out there.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

That must be an old blog post. When it was still in one piece it was expected to possibly reach magnitude 6. Since its break up it has dimmed significantly. It was supposed to make an appearance in SOHO's field of view and few weeks ago and never showed. It has also supposed to have been visible in the Northern Hemisphere since October 6, but so far no one has been able to spot it. Even with a telescope.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

O its Jupiter , thanks &pazcat will see again on jpl where that is . Plaedies to the left of it .
My earlier post had some chopped off at the end ? Not that it matters . They always said that in the end , things would be fair .

Just did check using this link , and it makes good sense , that it is Jupiter . Thanks for info and thread .ssd.jpl.nasa.gov... YU55&orb=1
edit on 16-10-2011 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join