It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Members: No second lovebug season?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Normally lovebugs come out in Apr-May, and then again in Aug-Sep. I live in Northwest Florida above Interstate 10, and I probably saw five lovebugs this 2nd season. I did a search on google and found a lot of results about the problem in May, but can hardly find any posts for September.

Did you have a normal 2nd season in your area of Florida?
Why is it that we did not in my area?
Does it have any connection to other animal die-offs?
Will the season be late, and what is the cause?

Just a personal observation, but it does strike me as odd considering I normally have to wash our vehicles non-stop during the normal seasons. This season, I haven't had to wash them once solely because of lovebugs. And BTW, even though it's off-topic somewhat; we have no shortage of bees where I live. That's something to be happy about.

For those of you who have no idea what a lovebug is...

lovebug

edit on 10/16/2011 by visualmiscreant because: typo

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

In South-Central Florida, they were bad this year. They were a little earlier than normal, though.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by F4guy

I saw one post on google confirming that, but the lady she was talking to (unknown area) said they had almost none. Perhaps it is a local thing, I'm just trying to find out, and wondering why... thanks

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Now that you mention it, I can't recall seeing any this year. My usual Pinellas to Jacksonville drive has me stopping at least once to clean off the bugs. Not only have I not had any on my car grill, I can't remember seeing any flying around in the yard. Glad you brought that up, I'll be sure to ask friends from around the state.

We have a healthy supply of bees too. Wasps and dragonflies seem to be everywhere as well.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus3

It hadn't seriously occurred to me until this morning when I was out washing the car. I decided to come in and check the seasonal dates to be sure. The google search only made it more curious. If it's common to many areas this year, I wonder what that could mean. Not suggesting the end of the world, just another curiosity in the animal kingdom. There are times, when they're so bad here, you breathe some of them in. Reminds me of the mosquitoes in the Mangrove's in South Florida.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Here in Central Florida, there was a short (only about 10 days) but heavy (especially thick in the low-lying protected areas) season with the little buggers.

I have never had any really negative fun with them (unlike mosquitos, fire-ants, and hornets) until this year. I was riding my HD FatBoy near Daytona when one (which of course is two) flew directly into my mouth. I kacked but swallowed the SOB, only mildly grossed out. Then, as I was passing thru Cocoa Beach, I slowed for a group of bikini clad honeys alongside the road waiting for a break to cross the road. I assumed my "studmuffin" pose, gut in - chest out, tough looking, grey-bearded "real man". As I approached, another love-bug pair again hit the back of my throat. No easy swallow this time - they beat wings as hard as they could in my throat as I made "cat with a hair ball" noises, causing me to swere from side to side, nearly dumping my ride on the shoulder. I finally got it woahed up on the side of the road, and proceeded to spit and curse "F**K!" while leaning over the bike and trying to clear my throat and not barf. I spit about a gallon of phlem and finally they were gone - down or up, I don't know. As I regained my senses and tried to scrape spit off my shirt, I noted 11 or 12 of the young women no more than 30 feet away, laughing very very hard at the old man obviously having a seizure. I immediately let out the clutch, and slowly putted away.

I hate lovebugs.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
St. Johns County here (just south of Jacksonville) and we had them lighter than usual at the end of May (they came late) then we also had them at the end of September but now they are almost all gone. It seems like this year there were not many of them and they did not last long.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

From your link:

Lovebugs are subject to some significant natural controls, such as various parasitic fungi, and dry weather—which dries out the thatch resulting in a higher mortality rate for the larvae.

Rain during Florida's dry season the lowest in 80 years

Did Florida have a 'dry' year this year?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

I'm not sure about the rest of the State, but NW Florida hardly got any. Normally we get scattered afternoon showers almost daily. This year we had to crawl on our knees and beg. It was a serious fight for the farmers and gardeners as you can imagine. That probably clears up things alot for my area. I appreciate your reply.

I didn't read the link, I just posted it for people who didn't know what lovebugs were. Perhaps I learned something from that. Once again, thanks...

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Great, now you jinxed it, now those little spazzy, toxic filled swarms should spawn any day

The first "outbreak" was horrible earlier this year, from Orlando and along the east coast (from Brevard to West Palm Beach). And yes, about a week ago I saw a few and thought "here we go again..."

Maybe UofFL has created another "helpful" species to help eradicate the love bugs..?

If they return it's your fault..

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rlever1

I hear you!. And your college reference reminds me of one I saw online somewhere about there being only two things that came out of Berkeley; Unix and '___'. They didn't seem to think it was a coincidence. I futterwackened vigorously after reading that...

edit on 10/16/2011 by visualmiscreant because: grammar

new topics

top topics

join