It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do The People Of The World Have The Right To Know What Technologies Are Being Developed?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I believe they definately do, if these technologies have the capability to take lives I think keeping such information from the masses should be totally illegal. I mean, who knows what the hell is being developed?! Whats more, keeping such things top secret makes people, nervous, suspicious and potentially dangerous!?

If everyone knew what everyone else was developing the human race would not only be far safer it would also be far more advanced.

Another reason is keeping certain technologies to limited numbers of people will eventually cause instability between the haves and have nots. All national security has ever done is cause problems and let people get away with illegal activities.

Just my opinion, but a valid one.
edit on 16-10-2011 by TheMindWar because: Typos

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
100% agree. s+f.
most tech was developed during war time and when the war ended the stuff eventually gets in our shops but there is alot of tech out there than none of us have seen and i'm sure the world would be a better place if everyone knew what we can achieve. but the world doesnt work like that, knowledge is power and no-one likes sharing power.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
That's a good question. I guess really it all depends. Do I think information like that should be disclosed to the public? Absolutely. But you have to take into account, "what" technologies those would be. Certain knowledge of these advancements, could become very dangerous if put into the wrong hands. It presents a fine line... is it beneficial? Yes. Is it potentially a bad decision? Yes. Good post. S&F

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
If they are not working on it or paying for it then no they don't have a "right" to know about it.
edit on 16-10-2011 by Fitch303 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Well the taxpayers technically are paying for it.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fitch303
If they are not working on it or paying for it then no they don't have a "right" to know about it.

Correct. If I want to develop some technology, why should I be forced, upon the threat of violence, extortion, or imprisonment, to "report" it to any person or agency? I have a right not to be subjected to such duress.

Do I wish that knowledge of all technology developed and in development were available to me? Yes, but I have no right.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
You can only imagine what they are keeping from us. Think about the 50's we had the technology to turn people into ROBOTS AKA MK Ultra. I wonder what they have now.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

If its technology sponsored and researched threw government grants or built by the government then the people deserve to know.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Secret technology should just stay secret or it will just cause an arms race. Its also likely to cause panic amongst normal people. It would also cause governments to be more paranoid of each other.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Good post. I agree.

If Im paying..or being paid to work on it... I have a right to know, for my own security.

However, I do not have the right to know what you are working on in your shop if I am not funding or working on it.
That is your intellectual property.
The only exception would be somthing that could affect me in a drastically detrimental way.

Example:
I have the right to know if some company is developing dangerous chemical or biological agents next door to my frikkin' home regardless of who pays or works on it.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Technology has been shared with other countries. The tech that we have now would far exceed our imaginations. Just because they dont tell us, doesn't mean that they dont share amongst each other.

Just think of the TSA, even the tech that Facebook uses to capture photos is amazing. Not to mention the computers that monitor everything that we do.

Governments would have to fear the people, before they have to worry about another country.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
People are not being told what technologies exist.

www.wired.com/wiredscience/2007/12/tiny-country-of/

A PRIVATE corporation created a satellite to do what the Nazi's dreamed of. Put a magnifying glass in space and beam energy to Earth...in simple terms. Palau offered to allow this PRIVATE corporation to beam the energy to one of their islands.

The People of Palau are not very smart. If they knew a satellite can be bumped by rocks in space....and that energy beam would cook them in their homes as it went over the other islands......

Shows how stupid people are and not understanding technology.

That weapon is in space and owned by some private person/company. Imagine someone like George Soros using it to eliminate who he doesn't like. There are private people possessing things in America that can kill you....or even entire cities.

And nobody would know they did it.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
What tech?

Most tech developed isnt broadcast to the mainstream because most of the population wouldn't care. If you work in a field and tech is being developed that would help your line of work then you will most likely hear about it.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
It would be pointless, for the most part. I would say that most people wouldn't understand the technology being revealed. People have a hard time understanding current technology as it is.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

Your missing the point. One would not need to develop dangerous technologies if everyone knew what was being developed. Indeed, development of such technologies should be illegal, period. Why would someone want to buold a nuke for example, if they had no reason to?

Technologies should be completely shared and those found to be a threat to the planet should be made totally illegal and should be removed.

Theres no need to develop bombs when everyone shares.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Thats a poor excuse, totally. There would indeed be many that would understand and whats more the people would be happy in the fact that they know there are no secrets.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

I care, and I am just one of millions who do.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

No. I'm a private individual. If I'm developing a new technology, with my own money, on my own property, the people have no right whatsoever to know what I'm doing. Nor do the people have a right to know what kind of technology the government is developing if it would compromise the national security. Do you really think the world would be a better place if all our critical nuclear weapon design information were placed in the public domain? I don't.

Your missing the point. One would not need to develop dangerous technologies if everyone knew what was being developed.

The Americans and Soviets always knew what the other was working on. Neither side felt there was no need to continue the arms race.

Technologies should be completely shared and those found to be a threat to the planet should be made totally illegal and should be removed.

How do you propose to do that? How do you handle dual-use technology? What if the only way to remove one dangerous technology is to blow it up with another dangerous technology; wouldn't you be breaking your own law to enforce it?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Whos talking about other countries? I am talking about everyone knowing, not just leaders. What gives leaders the right to know what others are not allowed to?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
reply to post by iunlimited491

Your missing the point. One would not need to develop dangerous technologies if everyone knew what was being developed. Indeed, development of such technologies should be illegal, period. Why would someone want to buold a nuke for example, if they had no reason to?

Theres no need to develop bombs when everyone shares.

It seems to me, like now your not even taking into consideration, the principle of human nature. "One would not need to develop dangerous technologies if everyone knew what was being developed?" How does that even make any sense? Are you suggesting these technologies "wouldn't" exist? It's not going to matter who knows about them, or what the "law" says. Be real, "Why would someone build a nuke for example, if they had know reason to?" I don't know, use your brain and look around you. I'm confused to what your implying now. Are you preaching global peace and sharing? "Theres no need to develop bombs when everyone shares?" Ok, sounds right... but this is reality. and even if everyone shared. (laughoutloud) There will always be some reason for Govt. to develop bombs and advanced weaponry. Ah, whatever... I guess I'll take the logical route on this one, and go ahead and "miss the point." Because now I'm actually not so sure you really have one.

Take it easy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join