It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killing a child: 'I did what I had to do'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 01:37 AM
link   
www.smh.com.au...

Killing a child: 'I did what I had to do'
April 8 2003, 12:49 PM

When a young Iraqi boy stooped to pick up a rocket propelled grenade off the body of a dead paramilitary, US Army Private Nick Boggs made his decision.

He unloaded machinegun fire and the boy, whom he puts at about 10 years old, fell dead on a garbage-strewn stretch of waste land at Karbala.

Boggs, a softly spoken 21-year-old former hunting guide from Alaska, says he knew when he joined the army 18 months ago he might someday have to make a decision like that.

He hoped it would never come and, although he has no regrets about opening fire, it is clear he'd rather it wasn't a child he killed.

"I did what I had to do. I don't have a big problem with it but anyone who shoots a little kid has to feel something," he said after fierce weekend fighting in this Shi'ite Muslim holy city that left dozens of Iraqis and one American soldier dead.

As US troops take the Iraq war out of the desert and into the main cities, they are increasingly seeing children in their line of fire.

Many are innocent civilians in the wrong place at the wrong time and military officers concede that some may have been killed in artillery or mortar fire, or shot down by soldiers whose judgment is impaired in the "fog of war".

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I'm seriously not trying to be mean-but the only thing you ever ever add to the board is LINKS! Are you a real person who has you OWN words? We obviously all have a computer in front of us here, so I think we see the news and then try to post our thoughts and opinions, not just a link and that's it?? Atleast if you are going to waste space here..post all of your "links" in one thread, then we can comment on them..
Just a thought..
Magestica

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I deleted my last post

It's good to have at least an information source, heh...opinions all the time is a drag, but I think this source is pushing it a little too far.

It seems almost to say that the soldier's judgement was wrong.

But better the kid who picked up the RPG than the soldier.

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Nice name and avatar you have there.

I understand where your coming from but sometimes posting links is my style..It's hard for me to explain but the reason I chose my screen-name and avatar is that I suffer from Bi-Polar illness and addiction..I'm a recovering alcoholic with nearly 3 years of sobriety and there are times when I cant sleep because I have a million little VCR's running in my head at the same time especially when i'm in a serious hypomanic episode.

I'm an ex Navy Desert Storm Vet whose seen alot and done alot in my life but often times I have a hard time describing how I feel on a certain subject because of the many under-lying issues that I constantly deal with on a daily basis.

On this subject I feel that the soldier did what he had to do to stay alive..Children in Iraq will kill you as quick as any adult will..Unfortunately it's their up-bringing and of course the ever present indoctrination of Saddams regime.

I hope that clears things up for you a little but in the future i'll try to engage a little more on the board as not to give the impression that i'm some kind of devious troll because i'm not..I'm just a person who has problems like everyone else and yes, i'm a little paranoid as well..LOL

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Thank you for that..
I'm just glad to know that you are real. And I like your avatar too! Your name definately fits me "insomniac" lol!
Someone very close to me suffers "bi-polar" and so I can relate to what you must deal with on a daily basis.
It's a very difficult disorder and needs extra care and support.
Take care,
Magestica

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 11:47 AM
link   
NO NO NO, we want "never sleeps" to keep doing it! where else would we find all the interesting stuff?

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Never sleeps, I certainly admire you for posting such personal info.. I applaud the fact that you are 3 years recovered.. I know each day must be a struggle. Being a former military member as well, I thank you for what you did.

Now the posting, I am glad of your viewpoint. At first I thought you were another bleeding liberal crying for the children of Iraq that are so unjustly shot and killed when one of them points a brand spankin new Chinese AK-47 at an american, brit or anyone else for that matter. So, to make a long winded agreeance even longer... I agree.. and further more... hang in there, do not give up and feel free to U2U me anytime you need to chat..

p.s. Majestic is OK, I am sure she didn't mean to be as vile as she was towards you.

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 02:11 PM
link   
No I wasn't meaning to be "vile" LOL! Not at all!! I just notice all links all the time and was wondering if he had a voice-so to speak? I like his links-since I can't ever find anything online besides ATS. But I like to know what a person thinks too..
So now that I know..keep up the good links NeverSleeps~ and you can u2u me as well with any thoughts or just to talk or type.
Sincerely Magestica

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The american armed forces have distinctive characteristics of mercenary forces. That is why it is difficult for them to uphold righteousness and good habits of combat.

In my opinion they shouldnt be allowed to cross american border for that fact alone ...

top topics

join