It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portuguese military says "if people riot, it will side with them, not the government"!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Glorious news, and I hope their act of humanitarian allegiance is contagious and goes pandemic. I have every confidence that our own government would behave in a similar manner, though my main concern lies with the hearts of those in groups like Xe Services, whose persuasions are more... monetary and less patriotic.

Properly starred and flagged.

~FugitiveSoul

edit on 16-10-2011 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by rainychica

Glad to see their example of what a peace officer should be, IMHO.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
""" the U.S. percentage of Portugal's exports and imports has somehow declined"""

en.wikipedia.org...–_United_States_relations

"""""The government is seeking to meet fiscal goals under an EU/IMF bailout as it tries to restore investor confidence in the heavily indebted country."""""

www.irishtimes.com...

The IMF won't let the Portugal Military side with its citizens. As ours.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
What other reason for the existence of a national army than to protect its citizens?
A true warrior lays down his or hers life for their countrymen,regardless of the idiot politics of the day.
Good thread.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
You can bet that America's police and military will have no qualms about firing upon Americans citizens. The military will just make sure they use a unit known for being modern Christian zealots. Insane cultist like that will think they are doing God's work and will kill other and child alike without a wince.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I wonder if this OWS movement is indirectly pushing us into the next big war?

The alleged Iranian plot to kill the Saudi ambassador had a timely broadcast, if the protests are only just getting started, I would wonder where the loyalty of the US military that are not posted abroad in a large future war would reside?

Perhaps we should look back at the Vietnam era....

Regards, Skellon.
edit on 16-10-2011 by Skellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
OK.... I might come across here as a little dumb BUT following on from my earlier comment I have a question to ask........

WHO is the Problem here ?? With ALL these protests ???

It sounds like a simple question and probably will get a simple answer BUT when you REALLY think about it......it's actually not that straight forward???? is it ??

Regards
PDUK

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I fully expect other nation's military to follow suit with this declaration.

Did anyone see the Occupy Madrid video on youtube?

Hundreds of Thousands.

My message to the NWO, the time for honoring yourselves will soon be at an end.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
That, friends and neighbors, sounds like an invitation to start a revolution. And when the armed forces gives you an invitation, you know it's a trap 99 times out of 100.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Wow. Just the amount of protests everywhere.. my god. I do think it's happening finally. The shift in consciousness. Pardon me for dragging metaphysical aspects into something that seems merely political.. but, take a look.. the protests have been increasing RAPIDLY in the past year and a half. It's amazing!! People ARE waking up. I know it seems a bit fanatical to say something like 'the world is alive and we are going through a phase that occurs once in millions of years'.. but let's wait a year before making any judgment on such fanatical sayings.. I think things like this are just going to increase and increase in frequency, until there's a tipping point when SOMETHING will give, and the world as we know it will change forever.

The rest of this year and 2012 will certainly be very, very, very interesting!

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
For those who are wondering if this will happen here, and wondering if the PTB will keep armed professionals paid until everyone else is put down I submit:
1. I fear revolution and don't want it (that's my disclaimer)
2. During the Wisconsin stand off regarding unions last year the POLICE union was exempt from the changes.
3. During the first budget crisis (before the debt ceiling, before all the crazy of the last six months) it was determined to make arrangments to pay the military through the end of the year. No other budget was taken so seriousely and paid up front.
4. The corporations have long been indicated in para military incidents. They have been building thier own forces for a while now. Wonder if any of the missing defense budget trillions (admitted as missing on Sept 10. 2001 no less) went toward this project.

I am not in favor of overthrowing the current powers (reigning them in yes) and I am not convinced we could....
edit on 16-10-2011 by watcher3339 because: to add "not" to "and I am NOT convinced we could" I am not sure if that typo was freudian slip....

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by free_form
Wow. Just the amount of protests everywhere.. my god. I do think it's happening finally. The shift in consciousness. Pardon me for dragging metaphysical aspects into something that seems merely political.. but, take a look.. the protests have been increasing RAPIDLY in the past year and a half. It's amazing!! People ARE waking up. I know it seems a bit fanatical to say something like 'the world is alive and we are going through a phase that occurs once in millions of years'.. but let's wait a year before making any judgment on such fanatical sayings.. I think things like this are just going to increase and increase in frequency, until there's a tipping point when SOMETHING will give, and the world as we know it will change forever.

The rest of this year and 2012 will certainly be very, very, very interesting!

As discomfited as I am by the current state of affairs, both the problems and the protests against them, I am overwhelmed that so much change should be happening so quickly, at a time when countless people's traditions teach that things shall change so quickly...
It makes it hard to count it out.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
That, friends and neighbors, sounds like an invitation to start a revolution. And when the armed forces gives you an invitation, you know it's a trap 99 times out of 100.

Not all military's in the world are out to experiment on their own soldiers and people.
I don't believe the U.S. military would either if the Military Industrial complex wasn't
the dominant driving force. The President is the highest military officer "Commander in Chief"

President Dwight Eisenhower's Farewell Address to the nation January 17, 1961
www.youtube.com...

He warned us along time ago, we (including the military) should all listen, understand and
act in anyway we can to support his\our cause and ideals or we will ALL end up losing everything
we have.

Thomas Jefferson

we Americans will wake up homeless on the very land our forefathers conquered. ...

Portugal understands this all to well.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Interesting... Good to see that in at least one western country the military remembers its job is to protect the people NOT to oppress the people...
Good Show Portugal having a military that has a sense of honour..
S&F
edit on 16/10/11 by Expat888 because: hungover tengu

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Portugal had two huge Occupy protests yesterday. 20,000 people marched on Lisbon.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

This a a radical change. People always has been more important than goverments and institutions. But now we are realizing that simple fact. Outstanding!!

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
37 years ago the Portuguese Military started a revolution that ended the fascist regime, they know how to do it once again, they know where the real power is, its in the hands of the people not the politicians or the big corporations..
edit on 17-10-2011 by Substracto because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I am a little concerned about this announcement. Although I whole heartedly agree this world situation cannot continue, as soon as I read this I remembered Egypt. Wasn't the military there supporting the people? But look what's happened now...it appears to me the military are running the country as Egypts elections which were promised for September I last heard/read have still not happened.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I`m a portuguese that have always lived in the country. We had the 25th of April revolution back in 1974. This was named "revolução dos cravos" (carnation flour revolution) as regime change was made without a single gun shot.

I Don`t believe there will be a "carnation revolution" this time. Not so peaceful this time, I think

This country has been assaulted by very corrupt people (politicians and their corporative "friends"), very incompetent as well. Injustice is everywhere, Now we have a new governmet saying the country future is at stake thus we all have to pay the debt they made through out these years BUT NO ONE of the responsibles for the situation is arrested, politicians "aristocracy" is still getting huge previleges and huge retire money amounts for doind nothing during a couple years, CEO`s and directors of public companies are still receiving huge amounts of money for terrible administration - losses after losses, year after year......

Sorry for my poor english, hope you understand what I`m saying....

edit on 16-10-2011 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-10-2011 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rainychica
Got this from a portuguese-speaking friend's husband's facebook update

"This is really interesting. Basically, the Portuguese military has come out and announced that if the people riot, they are on the side of the people, not the government. Also, when journalists asked the military if they planned to revolt, their only response was "Revolutions are not announced ahead of time."

The original Portuguese news article: economico.sapo.pt...

The Google Translation in English of the same:
translate.google.com... avisam-governo-que-estao-com-a-populacao-contra-a-austeridade_129069.html

A relevant snippet from horrible English translation:

The military thus ensure that "serve the Portuguese people and not private institutions," and warns, "Let no one dare to think that the armed forces can be used in the repression of social upheaval that these measures may cause."

wow. how can you not love it (and the Portuguese)

erhem....that's what the Egyption military said too. Now look what's a happening...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join