It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Wall Street has how many protesters?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
There seems to be a shortage of information in the number of participants in these protests.

So if even 1% of the population protested. . . 1% of America is 3 million. How many protesters are there?

Why is this, Occupy Wall Street, gaining attention? Just the other day there was a sort of protest that didn't hear a peep from any news source.

www.catholic.org...

If you do the math, it's easily 250,000 protesters.

Like in another case, not a sound was heard from 400,000:

en.wikipedia.org...

But who cares about some old ladies praying? We need some juicy stuff! People like rioting, even if they don't participate themselves. Most people like to hear about rioting and chaos! Scale it up, bigger than it is.

People get arrested:

www.foxnews.com...

online.wsj.com...

Maybe the powers that be , are sitting around watching how far this will go, laughing. It's just a fun time for the elites, knowing a couple hundred kids walking around with their new smart-phones and facebook. Yeah, how rebellious. lol

The top 1% do not HAVE a country they live in. They can happily leave America and let it fall:

www.guardian.co.uk...

I hear Ecuador is nice, and so is Costa Rica, and many of the elites of China & Saudi Arabia are buying up lands in Africa...

This world is going to get VERY internationally connected in the next generation anyway:

www.guardian.co.uk...

The United Nations is not something anyone high-above takes seriously. They have a charter; everyone breaks the rules, but why did they choose the 6 languages of:

English, Spanish, French, Russian, Arabic, Chinese

My guess is, that within another generation, almost everyone in the world will know at least one of them. The world is getting much, MUCH smaller.

Stop protesting with Occupy Wall Street if you do. You are just a pawn. At the very least, this is just a Public Relations attempt by the CIA to show the world Americans riot too; just to be "cool" like Egypt. At the very worst, American will turn into Egypt, just like the protesters want...

By the way, how's Egypt doing a year or so later?

www.npr.org...

Do you want America to be like that?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
The movement has gone global, They have nowhere to hide.
Another fearmongering post, geez. Doing something is better than doing nothing. You cant be a pawn when you are fighting for something you believe in.

Just saying.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
i agree, solely on the confusion about numbers.
for the rest of your post though....

...just to be cool?
i'm sorry, but that just totally shattered the illusion for me.
i advise you read
maybe even a single post about what's going on.
get informed, you're the only one you're not helping with ignorance.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by bettermakings

Do you know why they are buying up that land in other countries? Well bush bought his land for the water that is on it and the fact the cities main water aquifer is on it as well as have most of the others with money have done so. They are buying resources so they can get richer while manipulating the poor it has to stop. you can sit there and say oh don't do it guys but if you realised why you might be there as well.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
How many protesters are there? I think this it's VERY small, but prove me wrong.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by vkturbo

I'd do the same thing if I had the money.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I would be suprised if it was more than 10,000 at the actual OWS event.

It is definitely less than 50,000

To put in perspective, you get way more people attending the New Years Eve celebration in NYC.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

i skimmed through this and you said something about them not being on the news.. im guessing you also forgot to add the 500k in madrid, the 300k in italy? the 200k in rome? the thousands in u.s. cities still? so right there the 3 big ones are more then your 250,000

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by monkeyfartbreath

there was 50 thousand there a few days ago.
look it up

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

Americans don't riot like those crazy Europeans.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

who said anything about riots? the only people who got to a riot is rome and that wasnt much of a big deal...

just some people lighting a couple cars on fire

edit on 16-10-2011 by Bonkrh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

To a typical old person watching the news, yes, people walking around holding signs is a riot.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

the typical person to you or the actual typical person? i dont think theres many or any at all that would call this a riot.

Madrid

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

The media has been oddly obsessed with the movement considering how small it actually is. While it has spread to some 1,500 cities, the number in attendance is very, very small to be considered a major protest.

I think people just like looking at the circus of the whole thing..

The OWS protest here in Portland has an official government in it's camps now, and the biggest complaint from people living near by is the constant smell of pot.
I think perhaps people take the message seriously but not the actual protesters.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
The mainstream media broadcasting the OWS has actually caused the protests to spread globally as it inspired people from other countries to do the same thing.
Things like this always makes me very suspicious. What are tptb up to?

Edit: just been watching a live stream of ows and the news banner on wallstreet where all the protesters are, is flashing "Occupy Wallstreet Movement Goes Worldwide" and theres a huge cheer from the crowd.
hmmm...
edit on 16-10-2011 by SpaceMonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Well...don't ask OWSers how many there are. I've heard people claim that there are EASILY over a million people in the country protesting. I asked for a source for that...they said they could tell by looking at the crowds

These links have some estimates. The OWS in NYC last night at around 15-20k. This estimates about 2000 in Chicago and Pitt. 1500 in Orlando. 1000 in Denver. 150 in Minnesota. "Several dozen" in Jackson Miss.

nythroughthelens.com...
www.washingtonpost.com... SoL_story_1.html

I really doubt they even topped 50k nationwide. Generously, let's say there were 100k protestors nationwide.

It is actually a really small movement...they are getting media coverage by acting like idiots to get arrested. I have even heard they are doing that on purpose to get media attention.

So people...please...stop with ridiculous estimates....1 million people

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

At the very least, this is just a Public Relations attempt by the CIA to show the world Americans riot too; just to be "cool" like Egypt. At the very worst, American will turn into Egypt, just like the protesters want...

Seriously? This is a bit weak...

Though I agree that there is a big confusion on the number of protesters...

This is not about New-York, this is about the world. Occupy The World is what's going on right now. Hell, I live in Montreal and we have our Occupy Montreal right now. How fast is that building

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
wait until it gets cold outside, this
nonsense will be over and done with.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

online.wsj.com...

Heres a map showing the locations all over the US.

www.dailykos.com... ail=hide

top topics

join