It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK's NHS Doctors Issuing 'Do Not Resuscitate' Orders On Elderly Without Patient Or Family Consent

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by zbeliever
reply to post by Bullcookies

I'm sorry but "no".....this is letting nature take its course and when you can no longer reason,walk,talk,eat with out a tube,breath without a tube,but you family wants to keep you going because you make 5,000 a month and the VA hospital only takes 2,000 and your kids come every month for the balance......Don't think there is only a few people in this situation....because there is more then you probably think....
Maybe you misunderstood, or I did not articulate myself well.These are only observations and questions. I'm not disagreeing or agreeing. I believe that every case is situational. I do believe there is a time to throw in the towel. I'm just trying to figure out who should make that decision and on what bases that should be done and what the criteria should be, and should it be different for each of us or the same.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
You people who have private health care, what happens when your insurance money runs out? does the 'state' take care of you? or does the hospital just let you die? let those without sin cast the first stone.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
This has nothing to do with 'the nanny state' or 'socialized health care' and everything to do with failure to follow procedure, apathy and even arrogance.
It also leads onto the questions of voluntary euthanasia and the quality of life of the terminally ill etc, subjects that need to be openly and honestly discussed and debated - current policies are determined by the morals and ethics of yesteryear.

Yes, there are failings with the NHS and it really annoys me that most of these could be resolved quite easily, but give me the NHS over most other countries medical care systems - especially the US's.

Unfortunately only negative stories about the NHS seem to be reported and of course these get seized upon by those who then seek to use them to justify and support their pre-conceived political dogma.
Perhaps if these people did some serious and open minded research into the workings of the NHS and it's many benefits they may be able to offer a more balanced and reasoned opinion.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
There are situation were someone needs to step in....I am not talking about people that can even enjoy the radio being played...I am NOT by any means suggesting euphanasia.I just feel in some cases a DNR ordered by a doctor would be much kinder then to leave it up to some greed family members or children with unresolved issues with there parent.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by monkeyfartbreath

My Nan is 97yrs old. She was a land girl in during the second world war. She worked until she was in her 70's and payed her due's. Until 2 yrs ago she was a voluntary worker, helping the elderly, many of whom were 10 yrs her junior.
She has more than earned her recent hip replacement, and treatment for pleurisy.

I find your post generalised and offensive

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by monkeyfartbreath
reply to post by AllUrChips

I doubt that is the problem. It has more to do with the government cannot afford hospice or long term care for the sick or elderly. Maybe they are right to let them die. What does it matter if they live a few more years when they cannot contribute anything to society or work to create tax revenue to offset their expense to the state.

Did you join just to throw out that garbage? The people you deem worthless are the ones who worked their asses off to give you the way of life you now enjoy. When it's your own mom, dad or grandparents laying there, will you treat their lives with such a caviler attitude? They are old, useless, can't work to pay their way, let'em die. Grow up and see the elderly for what they are, a store house of memories and knowledge. They may not be able to do the job anymore, but they built their country and deserve respect.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Sounds like those Brits need to buy more health lottery tickets.

Play the lottery or people will die. Play the hell out of it. Please buy a lottery ticket or they'll kill my gammy.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Of course the patient and the family should be consulted before a DNR is issued.

There is nothing in this report sayinging when and why the majority of these DNR orders are issued, if it is on and elderly person with terminal cancer, who perhapes has at the most a month to live in terrible pain I can see justification, if it has been issued just because the patient is over a certain age then it is abominable.

Questions need answering!

Health tourism is a huge drain on the NHS, imo anyone outside the EU should have to show proof of medical insurance before being treated.
A survey of 106 hospitals showed that over £10m was unpaid by people not eligable for free medical care.
This money should be spent on the people who pay into the system.

Would I an English woman be treated in the US without proof of cover?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

Yes. Go to an emergency room in the U.S. and you will be treated, whether you have insurance or not. How do you think the illegal immigrants get their medical treatment?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
reply to post by dizzylizzy

Yes. Go to an emergency room in the U.S. and you will be treated, whether you have insurance or not. How do you think the illegal immigrants get their medical treatment?

Being in the US, I have to add to this. Yes, you can go to any hospital and you will be given care enough to stabilize you. The law is very strict on that matter. You may well not be in a state that you can effectively say get back home. But then that's not their problem. You are stable enough to release. And if you are unlucky to have been taken to a "private" hospital, you can guaranty they will do as little as possible before booting you out the door. Been there, done that.
Now for the shady side of the story. They have to help you, then they sell the debt off to a collection agency. They did at least get paid something for it. Now you get the harassment from the leach. But you're still not in a state to do much about it.

To end it all, if they had of just taken care of the problem, I would have not been in and out of the hospitals so much. One simple medication would have fixed it. I suffered for 5 years until an intern spotted the symptoms and posed the problem to the attending doctor.

thay

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Since they're not euthanizing the elderly patients, they are technically living to the end of their natural life. They're just not resuscitating them to prolong their lifespan.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DickGozinya
reply to post by aboutface

Since they're not euthanizing the elderly patients, they are technically living to the end of their natural life. They're just not resuscitating them to prolong their lifespan.

I have a feeling it's not the practice of DNR requests in this case, but who is making the decision to enact a DNR request. By law it is supposed to be the patient and/or immediate family, not a doctor.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join