It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 years living in the shadow of death.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
A California man who once tested positve for the virus that causes AIDS has learned that the dignosis made 8 years ago was mistaken.

www.cnn.com.../30/false.hivtest.ap/Index.html

This poor guy spent 8 years thinking he was going to die and it turns out his Dr. screwed up- the Doctor appologized in a letter, but the damage was done, can you imagine living with the feeling of death everyday, it probably effected every aspect of his life, including relationships, jobs friendships, everything he did or said. I am sure he is relieved but there is still those 8 years he can't get back.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
i couldn't get the story to come up, but i wonder what punishment the doctor recieved? he needs his liceance pulled so he would have wasted his 8 years at med school. being a doctor isn't one of those jobs where you have room for err.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Here is a link to a Google News search on the topic: HIV Diagnosis Mistaken

an excerpt from one article..

False diagnosis of HIV discovered after 8 years
Officials at the Oakland Department of Veterans Affairs' outpatient clinic where he was treated admit the mistake and have launched an investigation into what went wrong and how the error was perpetuated year after year. VA officials were taken by surprise by the Aug. 4 letter in which the doctor accepted blame and admitted the error. Malone's physician, Dr. Richard Karp, was not available for comment as the case is under investigation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strigoi
i couldn't get the story to come up, but i wonder what punishment the doctor recieved? he needs his liceance pulled so he would have wasted his 8 years at med school. being a doctor isn't one of those jobs where you have room for err.

Exactly, he should be stripped of his license. Have they checked and seen if the rest of his patients were correctly diagnosed? How did this even happen?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:23 AM
link   
That's crazy. I'd personally go and make sure the doctor got aids

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by k33l
That's crazy. I'd personally go and make sure the doctor got aids

No one would gain with that, make sure all people, patients, friends, neighbours, know who he is and what he has done. He was stupid, but if we killed all stupid people who are responsible for other peoples miseries, the only thing we get is that the World population would be much smaller.

Stupid people should never be responsible for anyone's lives, but then what we should do to all politicians?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
The doctor could have never said a word. The original tests were positive, and the guy was just never informed of the negative results. It wasn't a misdiagnosis, it was an oversite, and a horrible error that the doctor owned up to immediately knowing he would likely face severe punishment.

As for the guy - it's amazing how gaunt and sick he actually looked. He LOOKED like an AIDS patient! I wonder if it was the drugs, or just pure belief that made him appear that way. It's incredible what power the mind has to make you sick or well.

I also found it interesting that this guy found no joy in NOT having HIV or AIDS. He didn't seem at all happy with the news that he was not going to die. Yes, I know he was upset over being told he had it, and rightly so, but no joy at all? No happiness that he wasn't going to die? I would be THRILLED! I wouldn't consider my life over and essentially end my life with a diagnosis, either.

What was tryly scary is that this guy may have slept with HIV positive people thinking it wouldn't matter as he already had it. However, I remember something about how even if you have AIDS you protect yourself because someone elses virus could be different from yours and you could be sicker.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I smell a huge lawsuit in the future in this case. I think it is justified at least the rest of his life may make up for the 8 years spent so unfalrly

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
WTF!? what kind of a doctgor is that!? The guy need to have his license taken away!

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
This case is a very good one to check to see if he's had any symptoms commonly known as AIDS symptoms. And if so, then they have to see if the medication causes them, or the mindset of the indivual.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Do not forget that the mind is very powerful, I believe that 8 years thinking that today may be the last day he sees could have done great damage.

Also, I know a case of a man who died with all symptoms of being frozen in a freezing truck, only the freezing was not turned on, but the thought it was and so he just convinced himself that he was going to die and so he did.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
What worries me if, he's been taking all these meds for 8 years and he didn't need them,What kind of damage did they do to the body as they all have side effect.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeeze louise
but the damage was done, can you imagine living with the feeling of death everyday, it probably effected every aspect of his life, including relationships, jobs friendships, everything he did or said.

Imagine how his new life will be, I mean if that had happened to me right now i would be partying like crazy, having fun. I mean I would be more happy that I am alive now rather than getting angry at the doctor, come one everyone makes a mistake for godsake. (I am going to doctor, so I am a little sympathetic to them.)

new topics

top topics

join