It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Bill Would Criminalize Satire of TSA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

On September 22, 2011, H.R. 3011 was introduced in the House. It is entitled the “Transportation Security Administration Authorization Act of 2011” and it contains some curious language.

Whoever, except with the written permission of the Assistant Secretary for Transportation Security (or the Director of the Federal Air Marshal Service for issues involving the Federal Air Marshal Service), knowingly uses the words ‘Transportation Security Administration’, ‘United States Transportation Security Administration’, ‘Federal Air Marshal Service’, ‘United States Federal Air Marshal Service’, ‘Federal Air Marshals’, the initials ‘T.S.A.’, ‘F.A.M.S.’, ‘F.A.M.’, or any colorable imitation of such words or initials, or the likeness of a Transportation Security Administration or Federal Air Marshal Service badge, logo, or insignia on any item of apparel, in connection with any advertisement, circular, book, pamphlet, software, or other publication, or with any play, motion picture, broadcast, telecast, or other production, in a matter that is reasonably calculated to convey the impression that the wearer of the item of apparel is acting pursuant to the legal authority of the Transportation Security Administration or Federal Air Marshal Service, or to convey the impression that such advertisement, circular, book, pamphlet, software, or other publication, or such play, motion picture, broadcast, telecast, or other production, is approved, endorsed, or authorized by the Transportation Security Administration or Federal Air Marshal Service .(Emphasis added.)

Sorry for that wall of text. I take that to mean that if anyone in any way depicts the logo, they can be prosecuted. I thought that satire was protected under free speech. Looks like soon it may not be where the TSA is concerned. Any other members want to chime in and tell me your interpretation?

(For those that don't get the picture google pedobear.)

I'm not a huge fan of the source, interesting nonetheless.

Link

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
My interpretation? The last 6 - 7 lines say that if the use of the symbol is designed to fool someone into thinking its official TSA material, then its a problem. Satire is still OK. They have identical laws for the FBI, CIA, and a bunch of other agencies. No problem.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I don't actually read that in this text. What I read is someone using the logo etc as if to assume the TSA s legal authority.

"in a matter that is reasonably calculated to convey the impression that the wearer of the item of apparel is acting pursuant to the legal authority of the Transportation Security Administration

One may not use police, nor any other public logo from states or feds to convey the impression they have any authority that comes with it and to do so is illegal.

If you post a funny with a logo you are not assuming the authority of the TSA, you are mocking it. At least that is how I read it.

I don't believe they are trying to quell free speech here, I believe they don't want anyone using their logos, uniforms etc to make any money or any thing else by making it appear as if they are TSA by using said logos.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Actually you guys above me appear to be correct. I suppose I should have read the article a little better. So for a bad comparison it's still OK for strippers to dress up like a cop, just not OK for people to actually pretend to be official.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Dear Domo1,

I think you've got it exactly right. (Do strippers still dress up as cops? I saw it on television once, but I travel in dull circles.)

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I agree that toward the end of what you posted made it sound like the problem lay with those who would create something with TSA on it, where it could be construed as being endorsed by the TSA. But, I will say that I am no lawyer, and there could be more to this, as you though initially, than meets the eye. Any lawyers in the house? Maybe there is more in the link.

new topics

top topics

join