It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carl Lewis criticises political use of Olympic Games

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Carl Lewis apears as one more athlete who dislikes the link of politics with the Olympic Games.

www.guardian.co.uk
Criticising Bush for linking his foreign policy with the two countries being allowed to compete here, Lewis said: 'I felt that was disingenuous. It is funny that we boycotted the 1980 Games [in Moscow] in support of Afghanistan, and now we're bombing Afghanistan,' he told the Athens News yesterday.

'Of course, we've invaded Iraq and are in there and are using it for political gain. It bewilders me, and I understand why the Iraqi players are offended.

'To support the players or the community is fine, but for political gain I disagree.'

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think that this shows that the real athletes do not want sports mixed with politics.

The athletes give the best years of their lives to the sport, some times making great sacrifices so they can continue their careers, so they deserve to be treated with respect and not but used in political affairs.

Regrettably, this still happens, even after the end of the cold war.

[edit on 8-30-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Words of a wise man I'd say. Someone who actualy sees whats going on around him and someone who can see it from their perspective.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I agree with you athletes merits come from hard work, dedication and the long hours of training, politicians should stop from using them in the political game.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Actually, right here is where the phrase "words of a wise man" become inapplicable:

Lewis said: 'I felt that was disingenuous. It is funny that we boycotted the 1980 Games [in Moscow] in support of Afghanistan, and now we're bombing Afghanistan,' he told the Athens News yesterday.

That's such a clueless statement I don't know where to begin with it.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Actually, right here is where the phrase "words of a wise man" become inapplicable:

Lewis said: 'I felt that was disingenuous. It is funny that we boycotted the 1980 Games [in Moscow] in support of Afghanistan, and now we're bombing Afghanistan,' he told the Athens News yesterday.

That's such a clueless statement I don't know where to begin with it.

Ahh, I thought it was just because he critisizes Bush that this got removed from the news threads.

My mistake.
(or Carl Levis' mistake, one of the greatest sports monuments in US history's)

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, but Carl Lewis is an idiot. If he'd stayed in his history class he would know that the Modern Olympics have been a political stage show since day one.

I bet he doesn't even know who Jesse Owens is.

top topics

join