It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the Guy Who Snitched on Occupy Wall Street to the FBI and NYPD

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

The Occupy Wall Street protests have been going on for a month. And it seems the FBI and NYPD have had help tracking protesters' moves thanks to a conservative computer security expert who gained access to one of the group's internal mailing lists, and then handed over information on the group's plans to the authorities as well as corporations targeted by protesters. Since the Occupy Wall Street protest began on September 17, New York security consultant Thomas Ryan has been waging a campaign to infiltrate and discredit the movement. Ryan says he's done contract work for the U.S. Army and he brags on his blog that he leads "a team called Black Cell, a team of the most-highly trained and capable physical, threat and cyber security professionals in the world." But over the past few weeks, he and his computer security buddies have been spending time covertly attending Occupy Wall Street meetings, monitoring organizers' social media accounts, and hanging out with protesters in Lower Manhattan.

So at this point it's somewhat unclear how valuable the information passed a long actually was. I have a feeling this guy and his buddies probably leaked much more valuable information than he is claiming to have. I've got mixed feelings on this guy. I am not a huge fan of the protesters, but I don't think anyone needs to be tattling unless there are real threats, threats of violence or planned destruction of property. This also made me wonder just how many people are actually being monitored (actively) for involvement with the protests. What do you guys think, concerned American or punk?

Link

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Interfering with a person’s right to protest, and doing so through deception?

Punk in my book. Never cared for deceptive people in general. A lesson taught to me by both my parents at a very, very young age.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by OccupyPlanet

Keep in mind that I am unwilling to throw my full support behind the protests until I feel there is a clear set of goals. If anything I've been very anti protester in the past but am starting to come around a bit.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
If there is nothing nefarious going on or they arent going to be breaking any laws........

then whats to be worried about?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
His website

A 20-year security veteran, Thomas Ryan is the co-founder and Managing Partner of Cyber Operations and Threat Intelligence for Provide Security. The company was formed with the concept of the convergence of both physical and cyber techniques for Executive Protection, Advanced Red Teaming, Crisis Management, Threat Profiling, Threat Assessments and Penetration Testing. In his role, Mr. Ryan leads a team called Black Cell, a team of the most-highly trained and capable physical, threat and cyber security professionals in the world. Prior to founding Provide Security, Mr. Ryan had functioned as a security instructor for US Army INSCOM, USNORTHCOM, USSOUTHCOM and several other military and government agencies.

Black cell seems like armchair commando name or something out of a really bad novel.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

Ah thank you for posting those as well.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Thank you for sharing this info, its funny what these people look like
all gung ho and filled with confidence.

i enjoy your posts, humor is powerful medicine

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

He's on G+ as well and in the last hour about 20 people in my circles have called him out publicly, posting his profile, and his 24-style "security updates" for the world to see. Hilarious.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
what he is doing is illegal.
they have and are doing nothing illegal.
But they will discredit them.
he is letting people know he's doing this so he can get them to be paranoid.
all of you need to know all them at the top!
are doing everything illegal they can get away with.
it starts with fiddling with your taxes.
the people need to take back the government.
the government needs to be total transparent.
Everything they do. and their families and friends.
and 24h video monitoring.
you join the government you belong to the people.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

He is pretty confident looking. Too bad he's outed now. Thanks for understanding the humor, I fear too often it's a bit dry for most people.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

computer security expert who gained access to one of the group's internal mailing lists,

Did they arrest him for hacking? It seems as he hacked the database. This guy claims he has done work for the government before? hmmmmm something smells fishy.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
sounds like judas from biblical times was more decent human than this fan boy of the feds.
wanna be. We all know the type thay are atculy worse then the cops.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
what he did is not illegal...

there are also groups in the tea party posting movements on a few forums for media/opposition/trolls to show up and harass them as well.

there's a local group starting and their meeting spots were sent to local news channel and police which had the areas cordoned off so when the protesters showed up they were shocked their spot they chose were already blocked off.

and thankfully so, cause we didn't want them blocking traffic which they planned to do. And thanks to some insiders getting the info out before they got situated we were able to keep the nutters from blocking traffic.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Interfering with a citizens legal right to drive into downtown and conduct business. Next week, someone might be posting "Meet the guy who drove over top of protesters, at Occupy [Insert City], because he had to get his wife to her consulate.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I Love/Hate you domo!

Nice to see you coming around.
edit on 15-10-2011 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Keep in mind that I am unwilling to throw my full support behind the protests until I feel there is a clear set of goals. If anything I've been very anti protester in the past but am starting to come around a bit.

What if the goal is to protest their basic disenchantment with, and moderate erosion of, the quality of life and the state of corporate rule? You have to admit there is plenty to be unhappy with in North America. The system seems so dishonest and self serving, how would anyone honestly know where to start with a clear list of goals. Point is they are protesting and for the most part peacefully.

1) Liberty vrs.Government control
2) Economic accountability
3) Corporate ethics / power structure.

......seems like a good start.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Have you tried offering your ideas for goals that we could accomplish?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join