It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When did Stellarium become the know all see all of star gazing?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Isn't that kind of like relying on Google Earth to be completely reliable and forthcoming with all information about our terrain (expect for all those areas that are "blacked out" or scrambled)? If you aren't even allowed to see everything that is on our planets surface why do people believe they would be allowed to see everything that is outside of our atmosphere?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Its a map for star gazers to look at, they check out a star on stellaruim and then point their telescope to it...

"OMG I just checked a star and then when I looked though my telescope and it was there!"

oooo the conspiracy...

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by busterbunni

Stellarium is easily editable. As long as you know the orbital elements for an object you can add it to the program. It doesn't claim to have every visible star in its database, but it also doesn't prevent you from adding every visible star if you want to go ahead and take the time to do it.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I wasn't aware of this "know all, see all" attribute, but it is an easy reference to use.

jra

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Stellarium isn't the know all see all of star gazing. It's just a good, easy to use program and it's free. So it tends to be highly recommended. There are dozens of other programs and websites out there for star gazers if you're not satisfied with this one.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Ooooo, let's see; 'I see a light in the sky and it's really freaking me out because when i look at it I haves bad feelings'.

Enter Sollarium: oh, it's Jupiter.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Such software has been around since 80s. Even the old stellarium like software i have on my ancient amiga 500 still matches up with stellarium and position of real world planets/stars/sun/moon today.

This should be enough to debunk the bull# theory that something in the sky has changed, since this old software and computer isnt even hooked up to the internet.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

That would have nothing to do with the fact that our new programs are based on the old ones just adapted to newer technology?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
It's an intuitive and easy to use tool for common objects in the sky and I use it personally to plan observations out with my scope. Good job grasping at straws of paranoia to a laughable degree.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
I wasn't aware of this "know all, see all" attribute, but it is an easy reference to use.

Try asking anyone on here a question about the stars and see how many times people respond with check Stellarium...

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix

Ooooo, let's see; 'I see a light in the sky and it's really freaking me out because when i look at it I haves bad feelings'.

Enter Sollarium: oh, it's Jupiter.

Of course it's not Jupiter, it's the THR-18-IA (Interstellar Arc) on the way to the Andromeda Taco Bell.

Of course, Stellarium is good at hiding this because it will always replaces the names of the alien interstellar ships with fake names of planets etc. (This, of course, is what i think the OP thinks since he implies that Stellarium is hiding something)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
was having a freak out about this EXTREMELY bright object in the sky to the right of the moon the other night..... well a quick download of stellarium... and a plug in of my latitude and longitude... lo and behold.... JUPITER!!!!!! I've been having a hissy fit about this thing for so long and it was JUPITER the whole time....

Stellarium is a cool program but a the same time I'll keep my eyes to the skies cause all that is seen with the eyes can't be reproduce in this star map program... therefore i'll accept the verdict of Jupiter for now, but to be honest in ALL my years of life on this planet i've NEVER seen Jupiter THAT bright in the sky before... it was a bit frightening.....

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LaughingatHumanity
It's an intuitive and easy to use tool for common objects in the sky and I use it personally to plan observations out with my scope. Good job grasping at straws of paranoia to a laughable degree.

I'm not sure what you mean other than maybe you do think Google Earth is completely honest, nothing ever changes in the universe outside of our limited and dated knowledge (there are no other planets, no new meteors or asteroids, everything is predictable), and maybe even you think that contemplating something you don't agree with is blasphemy.
edit on 15-10-2011 by busterbunni because: If you believe that you must also believe the speed of light hasn't been broken?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

What does Jupiter have to do with this question?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAnnunakiReturn

Jupiter is in opposition, it is currently the closest it will be to us till 2022. Jupiter has also lost one of it's cloud bands for the last several years which has made it even brighter.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

What im saying is the reason it's such a common tool these days is it's intuitive function and ease of use, practically any object in the night sky that freaks out the paranoid folks who congregate here can be pulled up on it as it's almost always going to be a natural object and if it's bright enough to make you paranoid it's probably there.

There might be security reasons to hide something from satellite images and with good reason, to envision that a amateur sky watchers piece of software has any hidden agenda when it never advertised itself as something as foolish as containing all the objects in the night sky is absurd.

If this concept is hard for you I will simplify it even further and ask that you try to apply critical thinking skills and common sense before associating something so ambiguous with conspiracy.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Do you have any reason to believe that stellarium "is" hiding something? If you do, please share as I would like to hear a reason.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NoNameBrand

The same reasons that things on Earth are hidden from view, I don't completely understand why but apparently some of our Earth's terrain is need to know. That couldn't be true for the sky then right, only for Earth?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LaughingatHumanity

What im saying is the reason it's such a common tool these days is it's intuitive function and ease of use, practically any object in the night sky that freaks out the paranoid folks who congregate here can be pulled up on it as it's almost always going to be a natural object and if it's bright enough to make you paranoid it's probably there.

There might be security reasons to hide something from satellite images and with good reason, to envision that a amateur sky watchers piece of software has any hidden agenda when it never advertised itself as something as foolish as containing all the objects in the night sky is absurd.

If this concept is hard for you I will simplify it even further and ask that you try to apply critical thinking skills and common sense before associating something so ambiguous with conspiracy.

Common knowledge is ever changing, the world is not flat.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

What exactly does that concept have to do with an amateur sky watchers piece of software? You keep grasping at straws. The known objects in the sky change daily, amateur and professional astronomers alike make new discoveries daily.

How relevant are such discoveries or objects no amateur would ever see to such a piece of free software. How realistic would it be to incorporate such a mass into a piece of free amateur software.

You are convincing me you are devoid of simple reason and should be left to ponder the inane without attempts at clarity.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join