It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I had been deceived - My visit to an OWS protest

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Which ones are the people that count their money in millions, when compared to the person counting loose change for food each week?

Many buildings and centers are named "Carnegie" this or "Rockefeller" that. These two men were filthy rich, yet they were also philanthropists. Carnegie believed that anyone that died rich was immoral, and he gave most of his money away. Yet these people would today be targets by OWS just for existing. They would be "part of the problem" and "not paying their fair share". The would be called enemies of the poor, unAmerican, unpatriotic.

Not everyone that is rich is greedy, but nobody that is rich owes anyone anything. The federal government should be the target, as they have specifically crafted legislation to benefit the rich. The rich are just the scorpion from "The Scorpion and the Frog". Not evil, just rich and not sharing. And they're not required to, because their riches belong to them.

/TOA
edit on 16-10-2011 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

When your tax rate is only 10% simply put that amount in a shelter and that reclassifies that as a tax free charitable donation which means you've effectively made $90M scott free!

Organization is fast becoming a political powerhouse. It is still on it's rise.
edit on 16-10-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

No...like I said before...that is not how it works. If that was the case...why doesn't everyone do that???

If you put 10M in a "tax shelter", it means it is non-taxable. So your taxes are no longer calculated based off 100M...it is based off of 90M.

You don't get to just not pay taxes, lol, you are very confused on how taxes work.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by usgovhater

"Protest at a Citi bank where 25 Citi bank customers walked into the bank to close their accounts, the bank refused and were all arrested. People need to act now and move your money to credit unions or take out cash as an emergency fund. I see this turning really bad way before the November 5th protest of "Bank Transfer Day". "

Similar thing happened in Santa Cruz Ca.. several folks went into BofA to close their accounts, they were told to leave. They could not do business as "protesters".. they should came back later as "customers" .

Banks put out a memo or something.. worried about a run by protesters perhaps.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Everyone does do that Outkast. Anything you donate, is directly removed from your taxes. That's why thrift stores are so popular, especially near wealthy communities. I've seen them refuse to take the keys to a jag, because they would have no hope of selling it to someone that's not wealthy. When they give something to charity, they avoid taxation.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

Not from your TAXES OWED...from your TAXABLE INCOME.

You can't just donate the amount of taxes that you owe and then not pay any taxes...that is not how it works. If you are doing that...it is illegal and hope you never get audited.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

The American people are not required to support the elderly, they made their money, the elderly should've planned ahead. The American people are not responsible to support the disabled. They made their money and those that are less fortunate can't make their own, their family should take care of them, not me. It's my money, I don't even have enough for me, and I don't wanna give it to you!

See, two can play at that game.
The difference between me and them is, I only have a matter of a few thousand per year that I can't eat without, and those that you protect could eat off of 1/100th of what they have. Most of what they have, came from ME, and people like me.

It's also pretty common for greedy people to give things away near death, to try and buy their way into heaven. The whole idea stems from being greedy one's whole life, but being very giving when you know that you're not gonna need it. Which is kind of worse than just dying rich.

edit on 16-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I don't do that. I've got a friend that's a manager of a thrift store, and that's the kind of crap that she has to deal with.

It doesn't really matter where it gets taken off, it's not a donation made because no one ever buys anything that's less fortunate. Just another rich person, buying a richer person's junk.

edit on 16-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I have a question of the Mods,
How many new posters have signed on to ATS, to post about OWS?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I blame the greedy. The greedy are the ones that have allowed the problem to exist. Now, many people think that death is the only way to fix it. I hope we can find a way, but somehow I suspect that if these wealthy people are strung up and their possessions taken, the ones feeling scared will be the ones that are also greedy, and are hording more than anyone would ever need.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I don't know about you OP, but the OWS in Philadelphia had all the hippy activities you described early in your post, except the orgies. I guess it's based entirely on the area...

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Perhaps these are some of the reasons Occupy Wall Street commenced;

Some people have very little or nothing while others have more than anyone could ever need.

The people who have very little or nothing have very little or nothing to lose.

At some point in our time on this planet - people have to sit down and try to work out why we live the way we do. Starting at Wall Street seems like a very logical place to start - money is a necessary evil & it would appear more necessary for some than others.

Money is the root of all evil - anyone care to disagree with me on that one?!

Much Peace...

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Wait...stop the press

So, your saying the anti-corporatist movement is being spun by corporate media negatively?

Wow...this is mindblowing. I need a nap

/captain obvious

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Which ones are the people that count their money in millions, when compared to the person counting loose change for food each week?

Many buildings and centers are named "Carnegie" this or "Rockefeller" that. These two men were filthy rich, yet they were also philanthropists. Carnegie believed that anyone that died rich was immoral, and he gave most of his money away. Yet these people would today be targets by OWS just for existing. They would be "part of the problem" and "not paying their fair share". The would be called enemies of the poor, unAmerican, unpatriotic.

Not everyone that is rich is greedy, but nobody that is rich owes anyone anything. The federal government should be the target, as they have specifically crafted legislation to benefit the rich. The rich are just the scorpion from "The Scorpion and the Frog". Not evil, just rich and not sharing. And they're not required to, because their riches belong to them.

/TOA
edit on 16-10-2011 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

Do you see the OWS movement going after people like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet do you?

No?

Well then why do you assume that if Rockefeller and Carnegie were alive today they would be going after them?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
My response to the naysayers, get off the couch and get down to an event. The revolution is now.

Very few, if any, who have attended, are negative towards the protests. And actually, the vast majority of the negative comments come from people, who have never attended. They still believe what they see on television.

We got a chance to shake up this world for the better, so back away from your keyboards, and get out into the real world.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB
I've attended Tea Parties and want to attend a OWS even here locally. What most people fail to understand is both of us have a similar objective. Of course the tables are turned politically when its realize most Tea Partiers are conservative and most OWSers are liberal.

From my experience, it seems there are a lot of extremists on both sides. I got treated like crap by a OWSer simply because he saw I was a republican and listed Christianity as my religion (i dont practice). Same goes for some tea partiers that are a bit on the extreme when it comes to force feeding their relegion and values on them.

Point im getting at, is that unless we find a way to become united, both efforts which seek basically the same ideals will be blips on the radar. The OWSers are focusing more on Wall Street being the problem and the Tea Partiers are talking as if the government is the problem. Truth be told, both are the issue.

The majority of both sides seek the same goals, yet once you start to relate political affiliation to them the name calling begins.

Sounds cliche, but why cant we all just get along? The irony in the media slamming both and supporting one over the other is pathetic.

What better way to keep people confused and out of focus than to continue with a two party system of ever bickering and blaming each other, instead of being accountable and responsible to the people you work for.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Just came across this cartoon and though I'd share it. I think it's rather accurate to be honest.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Deceived or deceptive?

Do you really expect anyone to believe that you would get the same kind of crowd in New York City and Ponte Vedra, Florida or ever Jacksonville?

Do you really expect the people that organized the "Occupy..." protests around the country would not be smart enough to make an effort to make them look respectable, especially after the bad press they got in New York?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Everyone does do that Outkast. Anything you donate, is directly removed from your taxes. That's why thrift stores are so popular, especially near wealthy communities. I've seen them refuse to take the keys to a jag, because they would have no hope of selling it to someone that's not wealthy. When they give something to charity, they avoid taxation.

Actually, donations, only reduce your taxable income, not the same amount of your income tax. Example, assuming you have enough deductions to itemize, a $100 donation will only reduce your taxes, by about $10 / $25 / $28 / $35 depending on your tax bracket. So, donations cost you far more than you get from them, if that is your motivation.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
OWS is doing just as much (if not more) deceiving as the MSM. Both sides are being dishonest! Even the OWS videos are dishonest! I don’t know why there are not a whole lot of threads about the dishonesty OWS is portraying. I can only assume it is because most people here on ATS are pro-OWS…..

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join