It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I had been deceived - My visit to an OWS protest

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
kudos for having an open mind, and posting your experience. What's sad is even here, you see people trying to discredit the protesters as lazy hipsters, and it's sad to see

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Redistribution of wealth and collectivism is against my notions of freedom. And when they have far left groups who advocate for these things bankrolling them..Well...

There you go.
edit on 16-10-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

Maybe you should move your self to jungle start living alone , you know hunt for food build shelter ,
becuase right your life as you know it depends of 100% of other people.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
In The rest of the world there is a growing sympathy movement growing.
I also believed it, after watching CNN for months because of Knox case,The Arabian spring and the gazillions of nature disasters.

You get a relation to the anchors and believe what they say because it seems logical that they are telling you the facts nomatter what.

EVERYTHING oive read and seend in documentaries and views about this part of the history is that this is the path that the doomsdayers and the pessimistic said would come.
Though to be honest ive been waiting since Bush got elected and though at first that the Tea Party was that movement. That was until i learned that this group was very conservative.

Link to facts on the US military workforce after 9/11

But answer me on this for once.

What will you do with jobs when all these goverment institutions are taken away in a country where so many people have jobs in these goverment branches. Ive heard that there are so many working in the military it would be insane to consider getting anywhere in this fight.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Good to hear. I think everyone saw the pictures, awful stuff.
Don't mean to go off topic, but just curious and not to bring up bad memories, but were you in town and in the tornado? If you want to reply at all you can post here or send it to me pm if you don't want to go off topic. I just haven't talked to anyone from there so you piqued my interest.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I was moved to log in to reply to this protest.

I had a very similar experience at Occupy DC. I went 2 saturday's ago around 3 in the afternoon and it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. It was like a little community of believers located in a park in a big city where everyone did something different.(food, media team, first aid station, etc). It was very inspiring to say the least.

Like, you, my Dad is suuuuuper conservative and thinks all the protesters are just college kids who dont want to pay their loans back. He wouldn't listen when I tried to explain that they are people of all ages and backgrounds and that the news he watches is fabricated and twisted. (fox)

I'm happy you saw this in a new light.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Like, you, my Dad is suuuuuper conservative
reply to post by Gwampo

It makes me wonder how old people on ATS are when they talk about what their Dad thinks about stuff. It's not just you....it's thread after thread. I can't count how many times I've read about someone's Dad's opinions in the last couple of weeks. I guess the ATS crowd is young and still living with their parents?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
For weeks the Occupy Wall Street movement has been growing, now it is not only in New York City but all across America and spreading across the world. Can you believe that Americans started protesting then people around the world took notice?

edit on 10/15/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

sorry to burst your bubble but this movement started in spain on MAY 15th.it's referred to as real democracy now! (democracia real YA! or DRY!), 15M or most popular "los indignados" (the outraged).
it started with a demonstration held prior to elections in spain asking for real democracy on the 15 of may, when it was over a few stayed and camp out in plaza del sol in madrid because they felt they couldnt just go back home after all the response they received. the police kicked them out a few nights in a row but every night they would come back and even more numbers joined in. 3 days after 15M there were already 10000 people in plaza del sol and quite a few more camps in other cities (50 cities easily). this camp in madrid alone lasted for 78 days. other spaniards throughout the world did the same in the cities they lived. see www.ikimap.com...
in the begining they were unorganised much like the one u went to probably, but the started holding assemblies to decide on how to act from there (yes, everyone on the outside were asking the same questions you are: what do they want? what do they propose? etc..), then they had commities with different issues to deal each: education, health, industry etc, there was a nursery, a kitchen, cleaning. every night they came together and held an assembly. after some weeks they had quite narrowed the principles they stand for and their reivindications. each city obviously had it's own assembly so they are not exactly the same reivindications but quite similar nonetheless.
i was really excited to see this spread to USA this last september because i knew it would then have the repercussion it needed. you see... change isn't possible unless we go global, and we have done!! we are halfway there. now it's been heard we need to show the world that a change is possible if everyone stands together! what we all agree on is that something has to change. you cant have democracy when there are parties involved in the decision making that afect us all who havent undergone an election process (IMF, banks, corporations and the likes).
here are a few links
www.youtube.com...
m.theatlantic.com...
www.youtube.com...

edit on 16-10-2011 by martauk because: i made a mistake. quoted the whole article, send the reply and i hadn't made my point. sorry my first time posting here

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

I actually met a LOT of people at the protests in Louisville who said that they didn't think it was right they had to pay their student loans back. They kept asking everyone..."why should we have to pay it back"?

Um....because YOU BORROWED MONEY THAT WASN'T YOURS!!!

Between that and the many cries for the executions of the top 1% I lost my stomach for the OWS "movement" pretty quickly.

Not that I had expected anything more though.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
There's no such thing as liberal or conservative within the OWS movement.

The media has been lying to you, just like they always have been.

~Keeper

So at this point in time the simplest, most tangible thing I could see the movement doing is to support Ron Paul. It's the 800 lb gorilla in the room everybody wants to ignore.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Irony, the banking system is no longer in Wall Street.

Our new bankers are the Chinese.

Second...
New York Stock Exchange

On February 15, 2011 NYSE and Deutsche Börse announced their merger to form a new company, as yet unnamed, wherein Deutsche Börse shareholders will have 60% ownership of the new entity, and NYSE-Euronext shareholders will have 40%.

New York Stock Exchange is owned by European entities.

United States no longer owns anything on Wall Street.

Deutsche Börse

Deutsche Börse AG (German pronunciation: [ˈdɔʏtʃə ˈbœʁzə]) is a marketplace organizer for the trading of shares and other securities. It also is a transaction services provider. It gives companies and investors access to global capital markets. It is a joint stock company and was founded in 1993. The headquarters are in Frankfurt, Germany. As of December 2010, the over 765 companies listed had a combined market capitalization of EUR 1.4 trillion.

Good luck fighting against the Germans.

edit on 10/16/2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by lost artistic
What will you do with jobs when all these goverment institutions are taken away in a country where so many people have jobs in these goverment branches. Ive heard that there are so many working in the military it would be insane to consider getting anywhere in this fight.

As long as there are reciprocal changes to offset the shifts in the workforce the system will right itself naturally and the jobs will come. When corporatism is ended and there is a level playing field and the gates are open to alternative fuel sources, new kinds of energy production, new engines, etc, there will be plenty of jobs in the transition and restructuring. Ron Paul has the only clue how this would work, any other candidate including the incumbent has clue zero.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by RainbeauBleu

So just because a member brings up their fathers (or mothers) point of view they automatically live with them? I'm over 30 and know my parents well, communicate with them all the time. There's a huge difference when we share our perspective concering the world we live in and I for one think it's great to share these amongst others. It shows that with each new generation we become more aware, I know my children are far more awake than I ever was at their age.

On topic... great OP. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, most members here know not to trust the msm. I myself very much appreciate reading about real life encounters such as you shared.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

Um....because YOU BORROWED MONEY THAT WASN'T YOURS!!!

You forgot that they were lended money that wasn't bank's to begin with ( fractional reserve ) .

Hahahaha you sheepe.
edit on 16-10-2011 by shogu666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
... They have been int hes streets for 30 days to try to fix a problem in our country

they might as well go home and support Ron Paul if they want anything tangible to come out of this. He supports everything they are asking for and knows how to accomplish it. The Progressive Lefts of the movement have to swallow their pride and vote for a Republican in order for them to get a fair chance of realizing their demands. It will be interesting to watch them ignore him

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Awaycan

Fair enough.
At 46, it wouldn't occur to me to share my parents' point of view with anyone or reference it unless it's part of my own story and relevant. I don't share what my significant other thinks either. Maybe it's just a personality trend. Have you ever met a woman who constantly tells others what her husband thinks?

I'm not judging by age, just asking. I like younger people and most sites are dominated by them.
I've been online since 1988. Many people my age don't even know how to set up a FB account.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

reply to post by Gwampo

I actually met a LOT of people at the protests in Louisville who said that they didn't think it was right they had to pay their student loans back. They kept asking everyone..."why should we have to pay it back"?

Right, people walked around asking "why should we have to pay it back"?

That's believable

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by Sunlionspirit

Now, let's walk it back to why businesses leave America in the first place. Govt intervention, regulations and taxation, labor unions, etc.

No, they leave because they can get 10 laborers for the price of 1.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
What does it matter what sort of clothes the protestors are wearing? What does it matter if all the guitar player at the protest are wearing shoes, and the face painters didn't bother to come? How does this legitimize pouty petulance?

I cannot say this often enough: Protest is really just a limp wristed way of admitting helplessness. The most annoying thing about this protest is the large number of people (claiming to represent 99% of the population) insisting they are really mad as hell with the 1% and then expecting...nay, demanding, the 1% do something about it. Pffffffft. What childishness is this?

"Oh the powers that be (not us damn it) are really evil meanies! You evil meanies need to stop being evil meanies and do something good for us, damn it! Where are my milk and cookies, damn it? Where is my free "health care", damn it? Where is my free stuff? I want free stuff, damn it! Where's my job? Job's, job's job's! That's our mantra, jobs! You evil meanie powers that be need to understand that you need us and that labor is the means of production, so get off yer arses and give us jobs, damn it!"

"What? Start my own business? Pfffffft! And become another one of the evil meanie powers that be? I don't think so. I don't want to be rich, just middle class, so let's get rid of the rich so we can get rid of the poor, and only have a middle class!"

"What? What do you mean eliminating the rich and poor will also eliminate the middle class? What are you, a fascist pig?"

Why act in meaningful ways when you can just protest, right? Why act responsibly and do what is necessary to reign in out of control government when you can just protest, right? Why do anything when all we have to do is demand the 1% do it for us?

Yes so what we're doing now, the change we are effecting with our votes, is working so brilliantly why bother standing up to them.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Section31
Irony, the banking system is no longer in Wall Street.

Our new bankers are the Chinese.

Second...
New York Stock Exchange

On February 15, 2011 NYSE and Deutsche Börse announced their merger to form a new company, as yet unnamed, wherein Deutsche Börse shareholders will have 60% ownership of the new entity, and NYSE-Euronext shareholders will have 40%.

New York Stock Exchange is owned by European entities.

United States no longer owns anything on Wall Street.

Deutsche Börse

Deutsche Börse AG (German pronunciation: [ˈdɔʏtʃə ˈbœʁzə]) is a marketplace organizer for the trading of shares and other securities. It also is a transaction services provider. It gives companies and investors access to global capital markets. It is a joint stock company and was founded in 1993. The headquarters are in Frankfurt, Germany. As of December 2010, the over 765 companies listed had a combined market capitalization of EUR 1.4 trillion.

Good luck fighting against the Germans.

edit on 10/16/2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

All the more reason to be outraged, don't cha think?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mastahunta

reply to post by Gwampo

Right, people walked around asking "why should we have to pay it back"?

That's believable

I already answered why not.

They were lended money that wasn't bank's to begin with ( fractional reserve ) .
edit on 16-10-2011 by shogu666 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join