It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

23 People Arrested at CitiBank (NYC)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78

Originally posted by Dilligaf28
reply to post by DerekJR321

As a business owner I will tell you that should you come to my place of business and engage in disruptive, loud, or otherwise inappropriate behavior I will tell you, and if need be force you, to leave. My business is my property and you will conduct yourself in a civilized manner and not interfere with the operations of my business or its out the door with you.

Thank you. This was exactly the point of my last post. NO ONE has a right to go into a business and stir up trouble. And if you do,depending on the situation,you should expect to either be asked to leave or have the police called on you for actin like an idiot.
edit on 15-10-2011 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

Actually depending on the state, the business owner can get physical. In Missouri if you are aked / told to leave and you refuse, you have every right to use whatever force, exlcuding death, to get that person from your property. Some of the calls I have taken at the hospital have been along these lines. People are told to leave by security, they refuse, security does there thing, we arrive and ttransport them to jail. They are completely clueless and pissed they cant press assault charges.

Besides, these people protesting im prestty sure wouldnt take kindly to people coming to her place of employment or house and acting like a moron.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

It's all very Life of Brian.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Several days ago, customers tried to close accounts in St. Louis, MO.

I understand that more will be closing their BofA/Citibank/WF/USBank accounts online now, but if customers want to show up at their bank, it would be prudent to have a well-placed camera capturing the exchange from beginning to end for the record.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Now this is a type of protest that can influence change.

Withdrawing money, specifically cash, closing accounts at the mega banks and most importantly, STOP PAYING TAXES.

The single biggest thing we can do as a form of civil disobedience is to not pay income tax. This is the act that the establishment is most scared of. The whole purpose of the IRS is to instill fear in citizens. How dare you not want to give your hard earned money to this corrupt, debt ridden, war mongering, spend happy government.

They will seize your assets, garnish your wages, attack future income and if all else fails, they will IMPRISON you. Thats right. In America, you can be stripped of your civil liberties if you dont pay income tax...

edit on 16-10-2011 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
This is just another example of big business pressing their thumbs down and making people squirm...

ZERO economic responsibility and they only hold the interest of their share holders... Banks are at the top of the ladder of the elite so this should be big surprise.

Next time it will not be made mainstream and more unjustified behavior by johnny...

Fight back...

I put a justin.tv app on my phone that will stream a live feed so in the case I see something I can capture it live to the masses. Beats uploading to youtube...

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Where is the proof that says these people were disruptive? Granted, a group of people who plan to withdraw their money from banks at the same time will cause long lines and disruption of service, but does that give the bank the right to arrest them? If they were all planning to make a deposit, I'm sure the bank would have gladly accommodated them.

I never see anyone arrested on Black Friday at retail stores. There are definitely long lines there and the crowds cause bottle necks in the stores!

CitiBank created trumped up charges to avoid a run on their bank, it's as simple as that.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

and yet the IRS can't point it out just where in a law book it states it's mandatory to pay taxes...

because it doesn't...

But you know people might want to pay them if they were used for what they are supposed to be for... and that doesn't mean war... it means roads and education... things that benefit the economy NOT the government.

Shrink government and install economic responsibility

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SmArTbEaTz

I might agree, but how much of our money should go to a central government which has ruined every program its ever touched from social security to education to the value of our dollar?

Most, if not all, of these responsibilities can and should be handled on the state level.

Currently, less than half of the government's revenue comes from income taxes. If the government could make do with a paltry $1.4 Trillion a year (which was the total budget in 1995), we could completely eliminate the IRS and the income tax.

No more tax slavery.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

About 175 arrested overnight in Chicago protest

Chicago police said on Sunday they arrested about 175 protesters in a downtown plaza where some had set up tents and sleeping bags in a protest inspired by the Occupy Wall Street movement in New York.

The protests attracted more than 2,000 people to a march from the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago to Grant Park, which had been the site of anti-war protests during the 1968 Democratic convention.

Details on the charges against the Chicago protesters were not immediately available.

www.reuters.com...

But it was unclear whether the movement, which has been driven using social media, would sustain momentum beyond Saturday. Critics have accused the group of not having a clear message.

You see, people, you are being accused of not having a CLEAR MESSAGE

The protesters say they are upset that the billions of dollars in bank bailouts doled out during the recession allowed banks to resume earning huge profits while average Americans have had no relief from high unemployment and job insecurity.

This is not a CLEAR message. I repeat: THIS is NOT a clear message

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
AS for banksters KNOWING what they are doing...

www.youtube.com...

If someone could just embed this ...

Preparing for the eventual...

www.youtube.com...

Three pairs of nylon stockings...

edit on 16-10-2011 by DangerDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I understand that there's a set of regulations that banks can use to prevent a bank run; i'm not sure if there's a law, or if is punishable by it. But a Bank Run in my opinion, in a massive scale will do no good for them nor for us. too big too fail. In the Great Depression, for example, bank runs were one of the things that accelerate it, and make it worse.

I know is wikipedia, but you can follow the references:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
This is what they want

www.bbc.co.uk...

Home Secretary Theresa May wants Human Rights Act axed

The home secretary has called for the Human Rights Act to be scrapped, less than a fortnight after Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg said it was "here to stay".

Speaking as the Conservative Party conference got under way in Manchester, Ms May said: "I'd personally like to see the Human Rights Act go because I think we have had some problems with it.

"I see it, here in the Home Office, particularly, the sort of problems we have in being unable to deport people who perhaps are terrorist suspects.

Laughable or terrifying?

Patriot Act was invented by the British...

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by Kali74

I live in Seattle....and it has been on the local news...that many, many people in the Northwest are withdrawing their money from the various banks...and depositing it into Credit Unions....not one of these people was arrested.

I just don't understand why the people in NYC at Citibank were arrested.....what is it that we are not being told about this story?

Well, Seattle-ites are generally a bit more mellow and melancholy in demeanor. New Yorkers tend to be brash and boisterous even when doing such things as eating breakfast, commuting to work, and performing financial transactions

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Now we have a statement. ( sort of ) from the citibank

Citibank statement

TextCitibank Public Affairs issued the following statement regarding today's incident: "A large amount of protesters entered our branch at 555 La Guardia Place around 2:00 PM today. They were very disruptive and refused to leave after being repeatedly asked, causing our staff to call 911. The Police asked the branch staff to close the branch until the protesters could be removed. Only one person asked to close an account and was accommodated." To be clear: no one was arrested for closing an account; we didn't lock people in our branch - the police decided to close the branch; and we didn't ask for anyone to be arrested - that is a police decision.

If you follow the link , you can post comments there...

edit on 16-10-2011 by svetlana84 because: Typos

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I do not know if I agree with OWS it is really hard to tell what they really stand for. That being said I definitely have no love for the big banks. I have recently changed my banking to a local credit union and so far have been very happy. I notice several people have talked about making sure that they only invest in local banks. I did not consider this only that I was tired of all their new "inventive" fees. I believe even if they still end up with the money in their vaults from the credit unions they still will not be making all that fat cash from the fees they charge. If a majority of the people or even if just a major defection happens they will definitely rethink their greedy ways.
Though I do believe this would just be a temporary move to stop the bleeding until the people have forgotten their old ways and we all know in today’s world that would not be very long. After a short period of time they would dangle a few shiny objects in from of the masses to bring them back.

I need a new toaster so I hope this happens quickly.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Well I found this from an online article:

"Two dozen people were arrested at a Citibank branch when they refused a manager's request to leave. Most were detained for trespassing. Five others were arrested for wearing masks"

I mean, wearing masks? At a bank? What do they expect?

I think the problem with protests of any sort is that even if the majority are peaceful etc., there will always be people who go too far and cause problems. Granted, the security and police are just waiting for them too sometimes, but if you want to remove your money from a bank, just go in and get it without making a big scene. Make a big scene OUTSIDE the bank.

The man in the video above who wanted to take his money out of the Bank of America made a "tactical maneuver" physically, like in football? And he expects things to go smoothly? The fact is, there are protests happening, people everywhere, and ALWAYS the threat that things could get out of hand. The bank is not going to NOT let you take your money out, but maybe that was a bad day to do it? Just like the bank might be closed on a day it was robbed - you'd have to wait a day or two to take your money out. But to start claiming the banks are preventing you from taking your money out is just losing sight of what's happening.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Wrong People Arrested On Wall Street

TextAt banking giant Goldman Sachs, chairman Lloyd Blankfein admitted that when he heard police sirens outside his building, “I was sure they were finally coming for us.” The Goldman chief said he started running up and down the halls “screaming at people to feed the document shredder like Chris Christie at a pie-eating contest.” Mr. Blankfein said that he felt “palpable relief” when he realized that the police had come to arrest the protesters and were leaving the bankers at large. “That was a close one,” he said, chuckling. “We’re all going to have a good laugh about this over the weekend in the Caymans.”

Thought you might get a kick out of this. I did.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by svetlana84

Now we have a statement. ( sort of ) from the citibank

Citibank statement

TextCitibank Public Affairs issued the following statement regarding today's incident: "A large amount of protesters entered our branch at 555 La Guardia Place around 2:00 PM today. They were very disruptive and refused to leave after being repeatedly asked, causing our staff to call 911. The Police asked the branch staff to close the branch until the protesters could be removed. Only one person asked to close an account and was accommodated." To be clear: no one was arrested for closing an account; we didn't lock people in our branch - the police decided to close the branch; and we didn't ask for anyone to be arrested - that is a police decision.

If you follow the link , you can post comments there...

edit on 16-10-2011 by svetlana84 because: Typos

You don't expect these OWSers to believe this do you?

Clearly these 25 people were single handedly going to bring down the bank by closing their accounts...so they had to be arrested

It's starting to be clear that OWSers don't like facts...they are behaving just like the Tea Party.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I apologize. I should of stated at the state level as well. As those are my beliefs too. Washington has it's hands into things they shouldn't and no one is slapping the hand. Parents know that if you let your kid get away with things then they will walk all over you. Same applies here I believe. It reminds me of parents that let their kids run all over the store with no control. Parents (US civilians) turn their heads to their children (government) while other parents (nations outside US) acknowledge their disobedience, or lack thereof...

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by Kali74

You are free to close your account at any time.

You aren't free to go in as a mob and disrupt the bank's service.

This is what these people wanted to happen...they organized it to be disruptive...they didn't want to just close their accounts.

Let's not act surprised by manufactured controversy.

I believe this person is the most accurate in this discussion. If you organize 50 people to come in and close their accounts, this is definitely disrupting the normal flow of business. Yes, you have a right to close your account, but come on, common sense tells you an organized group of people doing the same thing is going to cause a manufactured controversy.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join