It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Citizens' Testing Finds 20 Hot Spots Around Tokyo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Citizens' Testing Finds 20 Hot Spots Around Tokyo

www.nytimes.com

It has been clear since the early days of the nuclear accident, the world’s second worst after Chernobyl, that that the vagaries of wind and rain had scattered worrisome amounts of radioactive materials in unexpected patterns far outside the evacuation zone 12 miles around the stricken plant. But reports that substantial amounts of cesium had accumulated as far away as Tokyo have raised new concerns about how far the contamination had spread, possibly settling in areas where the government has not even considered looking.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I put this article in "Breaking Alternative News" rather than the "Japan" forum because part of what makes Fukushima so dangerous is that nobody wants to think about it let alone have a frank dialogue about the ongoing disaster.

It is great to see citizens groups in Japan taking responsibility for their own health and welfare and not taking government/industry word that the crisis is over. For the industry the crisis was "over" the day it began. There never was anything to be concerned about. 3 exploding nuclear reactors are not a danger.

I shudder to think of the amount of radioactivity dumped into the ocean!

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 15-10-2011 by Leo Strauss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
MELT THROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO HUMAN TECHNOLOGY CAN FIX IT, RADIOACTIVE LAVA IN THE GROUND WITH THE GROUND WATER

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
A nightmare for the poor Janese people.I shudder when I think of the fate of the pregnant women and their fetuses.All for corporate greed and government corruption.Damn them.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Damn...I hope people over there are alright.

This goes to show that, you should believe everything your government says with a grain of salt (I probably messed up that saying lol).

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09
A nightmare for the poor Janese people.

This is in a way a ignorant Statement, a kind of self denial
or underestimation of this Catastrophe!

We can't see this as a "Japanese Problem" only,
some Parts in China, Korea, Russia, Alaska, Canada or the US
are more Radiated than West Japan for example!

People in this Countries will be good advised to check the current Levels
with a Geiger Counter but also with Laboratory Check Ups!

@ Agent: one more time sorry, i don't want to blame you,
i just needed to mention this!

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
ABC Australia

It is feared more radiation could now enter the food chain.

Researchers from Tokyo University collected plankton from the sea south of the Fukushima nuclear plant, discovering nearly 700 becquerels per kilogram of caesium in plankton close to the shore.

Research leader professor Takashi Ishimaru told Japan's NHK network sea currents had carried contaminated water south from the nuclear plant, heavily contaminating the plankton.

A wide range of fish and other marine species feed on the plankton, leading to fears it could have a serious impact on the food chain.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Anyone who is not aware of the "big" thread in the "Japan" forum please check it out. It is filled with a tremendous amount of information regarding Fukushima.

Here is the link...

Japan Declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Citizens’ Testing Finds 20 Hot Spots Around Tokyo

Takeo Hayashida signed on with a citizens’ group to test for radiation near his son’s baseball field in Tokyo after government officials told him they had no plans to check for fallout from the devastated Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. Like Japan’s central government, local officials said there was nothing to fear in the capital, 160 miles from the disaster zone.

Then came the test result: the level of radioactive cesium in a patch of dirt just yards from where his 11-year-old son, Koshiro, played baseball was equal to those in some contaminated areas around Chernobyl.

“Radioactive substances are entering people’s bodies from the air, from the food. It’s everywhere,” said Kiyoshi Toda, a radiation expert at Nagasaki University’s faculty of environmental studies and a medical doctor. “But the government doesn’t even try to inform the public how much radiation they’re exposed to.”

Kaoru Noguchi, head of Tokyo’s health and safety section, however, argues that the testing already done is sufficient. Because Tokyo is so developed, she says, radioactive material was much more likely to have fallen on concrete, then washed away. She also said exposure was likely to be limited.

“Nobody stands in one spot all day,” she said. “And nobody eats dirt.”

Nobody eats dirt uh? KIDS DO... not to mention, that radioactive dust is pushed by the wind... and you can breath it in.

That guy should be in jail for all his lying.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Nobody eats dirt(except kids).
But everyone eats food which is grown in "dirt."
And radiation does not discriminate between the dirt and what grows in it.

If Japan had evacuated the same kind of area as Chernobyl-would there be anyone left living in Tokyo today I wonder?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

If Japan had evacuated the same kind of area as Chernobyl-would there be anyone left living in Tokyo today I wonder?

Have a look: Check the Distance from F'Shima and Tokyo (160 Miles)
Vs. Tschernobyl and Kiev (67,1Miles)!

It is impossible to evacuate Tokyo without a 100% Crash of the World Finance,
Tokyo produce a GDP like France!
edit on 18-10-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815

Have a look: Check the Distance from F'Shima and Tokyo (160 Miles)
Vs. Tschernobyl and Kiev (67,1Miles)!

It is impossible to evacuate Tokyo without a 100% Crash of the World Finance,
Tokyo produce a GDP like France!

Ok Tokyo would have been outside the exclusion zone,my mistake.
Sad but true about Tokyo evac would crash the global economies.
Just shows how much more valuable money is to our leaders,when compared to human life and quality thereof..

top topics

join