It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin closest to Earth tomorrow on 16th October 2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The Comet Elenin buzz has been pretty much dead for a while so don't mind if I do!

The moment long feared by conspiracy theorists is nearly upon us: The "doomsday comet" Elenin will make its closest approach to Earth Sunday (Oct. 16). Or what's left of it will, anyway.
Comet Elenin started breaking up in August after being blasted by a huge solar storm, and a close pass by the sun on Sept. 10 apparently finished it off, astronomers say. So what will cruise within 22 million miles (35.4 million kilometers) of our planet Sunday is likely to be a stream of debris rather than a completely intact comet.

And the leftovers of Elenin won't return for 12,000 years, astronomers say.

Source - CBS

So yeah, it wasn't a doomsday comet after all.

But you gotta admit, the timing of it being closest to Earth is quiet a coincidence especially when we have Worldwide Protests going on!

Occupy Protests go World Wide - BBC

Theres still some unanswered questions about this whole Comet Elenin hysteria, but IMHO the most important question is probably:

Who started this Comet Elenin hysteria in the first place?

The usual answer is conspiracy theorists, but the question is, why this comet particularly? It always starts with a thread on a forum which unexpectedly goes viral - so it'll be interesting to trace this Comet Elenin hysteria to where it all began.

If anyone is interested in finding out more about Comet Elenin's esoteric significance to world events, this website has an interesting perspective to it. Comet Elenin - The Esoteric significance

So could anything interesting/terrible happen tomorrow or the next few days? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

edit on 15-10-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
isnt it on nov 16th?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
*bump*

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

So what will cruise within 22 million miles (35.4 million kilometers) of our planet Sunday is likely to be a stream of debris rather than a completely intact comet.

And the leftovers of Elenin won't return for 12,000 years, astronomers say.

I'm surprised they think the "leftovers" are going to keep going and return

Maybe they'll join themselves back together again?
Heads up in 12,000 years

Also, I thought this thing was such a recent discovery, I didn't realize they had figured out it has a 12,000 year orbit. I guess with all the doom people wanted/expected, I must have missed this fact(?).

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
But won't this provide a 'fresh' supply of meteors to observe every November like all the other debris left behind by other comets that we pass through regularly at certain times of the year? The Elenoids?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Shoemaker-Levy 9 comes to mind...

Hope Elenin just zooms on by lol...

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Elenin is gone, right?
Along with those big quakes.

And, I also thought the closest approach was in November?
Or was that an alignment?

Who knows.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

We don't pass through it at all. Its orbit takes it millions of kilometers above Earth's orbit. Even when its was at its longest it wasn't long enough to reach us.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
i thought the earth moves up and down on the ecliptic plane, does it not? So if not this year maybe in the future?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

The Earth is always on the ecliptic plane. What the plane of the ecliptic is is the plane of the Earth's orbit around the Sun. So, while the Earth may move up in down in its orbit it is always on the ecliptic.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
So now that this thing is broken up and passed safely and on its way away from us now, will all the stupid elenin doom/planet x/alienship/blahblah threads finally stop??? Hope so but people here don't like to let go of their little fantasies. I bet even the ones that do will never man up and admit they were wrong and foolish for believing in stories based on youtube videos and claims with no evidence. Instead they'll just move on to the next silly youtube fueled doom fad that excites them and fits in with their desire for doom.
edit on 17-10-2011 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by CasiusIgnoranze
*bump*

What just bumping and not replying?

What a BS poster, go spread your BS somewhere else

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntoast
isnt it on nov 16th?
No, that's when the yearly Leonid meteor showers peak. What you are thinking is the unnecessary confusion created by others who tried to claim some time back that Elenin came from the Leonid's ,because, for no other reason than that the person who discovered Elenin was named ' Leonid Elenin '.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

ID rather enjoy my life than to worry about doomsday

edit on 17-10-2011 by futuredude because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-10-2011 by futuredude because: (no reason given)

top topics

join