It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its not your role to convince me of your ideas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
HI All,

I am not sure this is in the right place but I am not sure where else to put it. I wanted to introduce a concept that we embrace in the USA, while realizing we are an international community. Here we are free to think what ever we want, and express ourselves in any way we want as long as we aren't infringing on our neighbors.

So when we are discussing a topic, it is perfectly OK for us to have different opinions. It is OK for us to disagree on a topic and we can remain cordial. It is not our/your job to convince others to agree with us. I feel like lately the threads I have been involved in require you to think 1 way or the other in order to participate or you are not welcome. Just because someones opinion differs does not mean they are a paid government shill. Just because your ludicrous idea is not embraced whole heartedly does not mean they are here with an agenda to destroy you.

I just wanted to remind people this is a place for discussion not lecturing. If everyone thought the exact same thing on here it would be really boring. I am sure I am guilty of doing what I am describing somewhere in my past 4 years here so it would be pointless to point it out to me. I think everyone should relax a little bit though and not take this so seriously all the time.

**Ok so I am even more nervous about the section this is in after posting. Again mods I am very sorry if this should go somewhere else I just don't know where that would be.**
edit on 10/15/2011 by sputniksteve because: disclaimer

edit on 10/15/2011 by sputniksteve because: kind of bad engrish

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Sorry, but I have an issue with your thread title.

Surely the point of debate is to make a convincing case, and have an open mind.

If I make a convincing case, I don't expect a poster to dismiss it just because it doesn't agree with that way of thinking.

The point of debate is to learn.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

edit on 15-10-2011 by Saucerwench because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I'll give you a flag and a star ... for whatever that's worth in this virtual realm.

We're not here to agree wholeheartedly and backslap each other into oblivion.

We're here to discuss, debate and concern ourselves over the near myriad of issues present and prevalent in the world around us...

My white may be another's black

My right may be another's wrong

My square may be another's round

My opinion may be another's scorn

Yet we should All be able to come together, voice such and consider the same, in a civil, supportive and meaningful/productive manner.

If your mind and views are closed to change then perhaps ATS just isn't the right venue for said type individual.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I think everyone should relax a little bit though and not take this so seriously all the time.

Tough to relax and not take things seriously for those who are "on the job", if you know what I mean.

I recall one anal retentive character on this site correcting someone for using a shortened version of his fake user name. Talk about having a cucumber up your [SNIP].
edit on 16-10-2011 by Gemwolf because: Removed naughty word.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I totally agree with the OP. The best we can do is provide evidence for our arguments. After that each must make up their own mind on what to believe. When an argument is supported by factual evidence, I am more inclined to believe it.

The problem a lot of the times is that people don't know what constitutes factual evidence. Often times they provide anecdotal evidence which really doesn't prove anything, and when you point that out they get angry and start calling you names. So, really you must choose to take the high road and accept the fact that some people will not be convinced no matter what peer-reviewed scientific study you show them that they are wrong.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I think what he is referring to is this line that gets tossed around oh so often:

“If you do not believe in my theory why are you reading my thread? Go away you (insert slur here)!”

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
yeah i can see the point made by the op, on my end if you dont believe in big brother then why on earth have you raced to purchase a smart phone, why have you raced to create a twitter account, why have you raced to create a facebook page, why have you raced to purchase a gps nav system, why have you approved the use of credit card usage instead of cold hard cash,

The answer to why is....

You and almost everyone living or coming into existence has been

processed

cataloged

and

shelved.

What are you able to do, simply go against the grain, use what is being used, learn from it, adapt to it, utilize it and when the time comes, simply disappear from it.

Have a nice day

edit on 16-10-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
Sorry, but I have an issue with your thread title.

Surely the point of debate is to make a convincing case, and have an open mind.

If I make a convincing case, I don't expect a poster to dismiss it just because it doesn't agree with that way of thinking.

The point of debate is to learn.

Thats cool man, I have no problem with you having a problem with my thread title. But you should rethink what you wrote, the point of debate for you might be to learn but not for everyone. In fact I think the point of debate is to convince the other side you are right not assume they might convince you that you are wrong. I am speaking from my experience in debate class. But my point is that even though you might give me a well thought out, balanced and correct argument, I still reserve the right to disagree with it. Now that might be very frustrating for you and you might lash out and tell me I am in idiot or work for an Alphabet agency. We all have different experiences to draw from and there is too many different people here from different back grounds to expect us all to agree on everything.

It is not your duty to correct me and tell me why my thread is incorrect and should be how you want it. If you disagree thats fine, disagree. Tell me you disagree and why, but don't expect me to have to conform to your vision of what things should be.

And believe me, I am coming from the angle of the person usually telling someone they are wrong. I don't start threads here where people come and attack me for my beliefs. If I think someone is incorrect I will tell them that, but I am not going to actually expect them to change their mind and admit they were wrong. I am starting to confuse myself now, I think we all get the point.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

Actually , to be fair to the idea of debate, it IS a tool of learning. But it is not a tool which can educate the debating parties so much as a fantastic forum by which persons on the edges, or outside a discussion might learn something.

When debating a point it is very easy to get lost in your angle to the point where the opposing veiw looses all clarity and value (assuming it started out from a position which included some kind of merit). But when sat outside a debate, it is very easy to learn an awful lot about a subject, from both sides of any divides which may exist within that subject range (for instance, UFO aliens, politics, the mysteries of science).

When debate amongst peers was first developed, it was as a method by which political, scientific, and philosophical issues might be resolved. It is an idea which has continued to find favour amongst intellectuals in every walk of life, purely because it has some very benificial effects on the capacity of all participants to understand the subject matter they are discussing.

Theres nothing wrong with debate at all. What IS wrong, is getting into a debate with someone who refuses to learn anything from the discussion, or going into a discussion arrogantly refusing to learn yourself.

If either of those things is happening, then of course you are going to get no where with your debate, and you wont enjoy it, because what happens there is a slanging match with no logical conclusion nor value.

I dig debate. I bury arguments.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by byeluvolk
I think what he is referring to is this line that gets tossed around oh so often:

“If you do not believe in my theory why are you reading my thread? Go away you (insert slur here)!”

Bingo

top topics

join