It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mouldi's Garden Picture Diary

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I thought it might be cool to start a thread following the progress of a creating a garden right from scratch. Pictures are below. We'll start at the beginning, since the garden was only acquired 4 days ago, but firstly a little background information.

My Mum and I recently went halves on the rental of an allotment from the local town council. Our goal being to create a fruit and veg garden to help save some money and become more self sufficient.

It is a 5 'rod' allotment, I'm not certain how that translates to other measurements but its a good size. (I'll check for measurements and edit)

ETA: a rod is, apperently, 16.5 metres. So I think I am right in saying our plot is 82.5 square metres.

We both have various ailments and disabilities so we are hoping to create raised beds for ease of access, while having flattened, paved walkways between them. Any suggestions to further techniques that may make life easier are fully welcomed!

Initially our plan is to have 4 main beds, which we will rotate on a yearly basis. We will have borders for companion plants and herbs, a small shed for tool storage with a lean-to greenhouse built off it with some corrugated Perspex we salvaged, composting areas and a - hopefully - walk in fruit cage. We also plan to fence off our plot so we can take our dogs with us without fear off them wandering onto others' plots.

So, the plot itself...well, I'll admit I was a little overwhelmed when I saw it. The dried out dandelions were up to 7 feet tall and the bases were VERY prickly! All along the far side, and self-rooted right into the middle of the plot is a big bramble bush. The grass stand at around 2 1/2 foot and the ground was uneven.

To try to give some perspective, that little lady in the distance is Mum, who stands at 5 Feet and 1/2 an inch tall - DO NOT ever forget the all important extra 1/2 inch, she'll give you hell if you do

Its slow progress but so far, with a little help from my brother who borrowed a petrol strimmer and hedge trimmer, we have got to this point.

The next step, we think, is investing in a weed wand to clear everything back to soil except the bramble which we are cutting right back but keeping (Mmmm, blackberry jam
). Maybe source some Cow Poo meanwhile too. But our focus through the rest of this autumn, into winter is to get the structural side as sorted as possible before spring planting.

As previously said, any hints, tips and advice are welcomed.

I'll endeavour to keep this thread regularly updated with pictures to show the progress as it develops.

Thanks for visiting my thread

edit on 15-10-2011 by Mouldilocks because: spells, clariteeeee

edit on 15-10-2011 by Mouldilocks because: clariteeee

edit on 15-10-2011 by Mouldilocks because: clariteeee

edit on 15-10-2011 by Mouldilocks because: spells

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Wonderful! We just bought a plot of
land next to the house a few months
ago. We have everything cleared and
mowed and will start our garden in
the spring. Should be able to pick
up some good pointers from you
as this will be our first large garden.
Thanks so much for sharing, please
continue to do so.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Thanks for popping in, crazydaisy

This will be our 3rd larger garden, but the first one we are creating to cater to reduced mobility and capability! So it's a learning curve for us too, and I'll be grateful to you for any nuggets of wisdom you may be able to offer either now or in the future.

What I hope to do, as the thread progresses, is to go into more detail about why we will be planting in certain ways and reasoning for companion planting etc as well as sharing pictures of the garden as it develops. Feel free to add pictures of your own garden, it will be good to 'share notes'.

Should be a fun project.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I am especially interested in the
raised plots and walkways as
we too have disabilities. Will
try to get some pics soon of our
field.
edit on 15-10-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Rent a tiller. Save y'all some backache-work.

Oh, and get a ph test done on the soil as well. Since you rented it from the city, that same dept should knwo who you'd have to go to.
edit on 15-10-2011 by CynicalDrivel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Hi Mouldilocks.
I'm a keen gardener myself so I think i'll subscribe and see how your plot turns out. I'm forever planting, digging up and changing things in my garden!

My knowledge is limited but I would like to help where I can.
If you have any questions that some may not be able to answer I work for a big garden and the people I work for are very experienced and usually know about most things.

Have you ever tried green manure?
Any plots that aren't being used are perfect candidates for GM. Just sow straight onto the bed and when they're ready you simply dig them in. As they break down they add nutrients to the soil.
(Going over the plants with a mower first makes it much easier to dig into the soil)

Anyways, looking forward to seeing what you decide to do.

S&F
edit on 15-10-2011 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
If you are going to do raised beds I would not disturb this layer of soil at all. I would simply begin to build the surrounds or walls of the bed and then begin to line the entire thing with layers of newspaper (non-colored ink) and bits of natural paper product junk mail. Layer it with paper, then leaves and debris (natural stuff) and soil amendments (manures). Do not put real soil in there until you get to the top 4 to 6 inches of the bed, then add the soil and soil amendments (compost) to finish it off. No need to "turn" your newly formed beds at all as the layers will still have to mulch apart and turn into the soil that will get "turned out" come spring. The plants you plant now will only utilize a small amount of root-space and by the time those roots do reach the "layered" portion that portion would have begun to compost.

My guess that you have a few months of cold-weather crops that you can grow now, but then by January everything will be under winter's sleep. Are you considering doing cold-frames or tents across the bed-tops? Smaller "hoop" rows would be easy enough to accomplish.

Your plot certainly looks quite fertile and level! It also looks big enough to support a seating area to sit and enjoy the work and break between seasons. Is this "plot" a far distance from your home and is there fencing to prevent intruders? It looks very nice!
edit on 10/15/2011 by Greensage because: spelling error

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel
Rent a tiller. Save y'all some backache-work.

We do have a push along hand tiller thing (I'm not good with the terminology!) which we will no doubt use in the areas we're not putting in raised beds.

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel

Oh, and get a ph test done on the soil as well.

Noted

Originally posted by SilentE
Have you ever tried green manure?
Any plots that aren't being used are perfect candidates for GM. Just sow straight onto the bed and when they're ready you simply dig them in. As they break down they add nutrients to the soil.
(Going over the plants with a mower first makes it much easier to dig into the soil)

We haven't tried green manures yet, but it's something we're keen to try. Any hints on those you would recommend?

Originally posted by Greensage
If you are going to do raised beds I would not disturb this layer of soil at all. I would simply begin to build the surrounds or walls of the bed and then begin to line the entire thing with layers of newspaper (non-colored ink) and bits of natural paper product junk mail. Layer it with paper, then leaves and debris (natural stuff) and soil amendments (manures). Do not put real soil in there until you get to the top 4 to 6 inches of the bed, then add the soil and soil amendments (compost) to finish it off. No need to "turn" your newly formed beds at all as the layers will still have to mulch apart and turn into the soil that will get "turned out" come spring. The plants you plant now will only utilize a small amount of root-space and by the time those roots do reach the "layered" portion that portion would have begun to compost.

That right there is some priceless advice, so thankyou. I'll be sure to try and incorprate this in our design.

My guess that you have a few months of cold-weather crops that you can grow now, but then by January everything will be under winter's sleep. Are you considering doing cold-frames or tents across the bed-tops? Smaller "hoop" rows would be easy enough to accomplish.

I'm not sure if we will this winter, as I said our focus is on getting the hard structure put down so we have the easy access we need. But certainly, this is something we will do in the future. We did have hoop rows under gardening fleece on our other plots.

You plot certainly looks quite fertile and level! It also looks big enough to support a seating area to sit and enjoy the work and break between seasons. Is this "plot" a far distance from your home and is there fencing to prevent intruders? It looks very nice!

The house you can see in the background is literally across the road from my Mum's house, so its less than a five minute walk from there. I only live about 10 minutes away from my Mum so it's close enough!

There is a 6 foot fence on the back of the plot, a railway embankment/hedgerow along one side and we will be fencing off the whole thing eventually,

And yes, we will undoubtedly incorporate some kind of seating area. If not to rest and recuperate from a hard day's graft, then at least to have a cup or two of 'Allotment Tea' in the colder months to fortify us!
edit on 15-10-2011 by Mouldilocks because: clariteeee, to add quote

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I have fun gardening, I think you will have a great time with your space!

I went looking and saw this site with a fine example of good planning to get the most out of growing, a tent/hoop support system. Take a look!

GrowGardenTomatoes.com

Here is the picture

Shapes and designs are important to think about at this stage! I saw one picture that looked like coffins laying about and it spooked me! LOL They did! They looked like coffins, here look

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I would go with Caliente Mustard. It suppresses a range of soil bourne disease and adds nutrients.
It's highly likely there are many more varieties on offer by now though.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I went looking and saw this site with a fine example of good planning to get the most out of growing, a tent/hoop support system. Take a look!

Thankyou so much, I've bookmarked the link. Some nice looking beds there, and food for thought, pun intended

Shapes and designs are important to think about at this stage! I saw one picture that looked like coffins laying about and it spooked me! LOL They did! They looked like coffins

They do! Quite tempted to go a little imaginitive with my designs for ours, but I must keep in mind accessability, so will see how I can factor in form and function.

Thankyou for the contributions

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I would go with Caliente Mustard. It suppresses a range of soil bourne disease and adds nutrients.
It's highly likely there are many more varieties on offer by now though.

I have read about mustards for green fertiliser,and thought that was probably what we would go for, will give this one a look.

Thank you for the info

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Mouldilocks

The girlfriend and I are working on this idea. We working to have a small one here at home, and have set up some land from a friend to plant this coming spring as well.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by oldshooter1979

We working to have a small one here at home

Just a couple of weeks ago we began converting an unused part of Mum's back garden into a plot. I think we'll probably grow just a few things there now, as we only have to go over the road to our allotment!

I've been 'window-shopping', getting way ahead of myself, but I really, really want to grow some of these. Drool...

edit on 15-10-2011 by Mouldilocks because: add picture

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
All I can say is, mulch, mulch and more mulch! As it decomposes it fertilizes your soil, and my favorite part is that it really helps with weed prevention. My gardening hero is Ruth Stout. Though mulching is by no means a brand new method, she really did popularize it. Here is a video that will no doubt inspire you. It has two parts to it:

Part 1: www.youtube.com...

Part 2: www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeramie
All I can say is, mulch, mulch and more mulch! As it decomposes it fertilizes your soil, and my favorite part is that it really helps with weed prevention.

Good advice, thanks

Thanks too for the links, I can't view video with sound from the PC I am currently on, but will certainly watch them later when I have the access.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

I find tomatoes really easy to grow. I've tried different techniques but this year they seem to be doing the best. I lined up some canes in a row, with space in the middle I left to plant a pot of Mint. (mint will spread all over the shop if you plant directly into the ground)
I planted a variety of Tomatoes I got from my grandad next to each cane and tied only the main stem to the cane. Then I just let them 'flop' over, lay flat and let them do their own thing. Seems to have done the trick!

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

I planted a variety of Tomatoes I got from my grandad next to each cane and tied only the main stem to the cane. Then I just let them 'flop' over, lay flat and let them do their own thing. Seems to have done the trick!

I love growing tomatoes because they just seem to go crazy and produce plenty. Quite a quick turnaround too, but for me theres a danger - especially with cherry toms - of the crop getting eaten as it's picked!

It made me smile to read about you planting varieties you got from your grandad. Neither of mine are with us any more, but both were gardeners and I am almost certain that I would be doing the same as you if they were still here

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Looks good I will be following your thread .....

I heard that if you spread old strips of carpet down on the land through out the autumn and winter months the weeds will die off and so when lifted in the spring time the ground is ready for planting.

has anyone tried this ?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Looks good I will be following your thread .....

I heard that if you spread old strips of carpet down on the land through out the autumn and winter months the weeds will die off and so when lifted in the spring time the ground is ready for planting.

has anyone tried this ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join