It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Buys Flights on Virgin Galactic's Private Spaceship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
If you would like to take a flight on Virgin Galactic into space it will cost 200,000 per seat..www.virgingalactic.com...

This animation shows what it will be like to takeoff, drop from WhiteKNightTwo, blast in to space aboard SpaceShipTwo, feel what it is like in microgravity for 4 to 5 minutes and then land again safely on the ground.

The space tourism company Virgin Galactic has struck a deal with NASA worth up to $4.5 million for research flights on the company's new private spaceliner SpaceShipTwo, Virgin Galactic officials announced Oct. 13.

Under the deal, NASA will charter up to three flights on Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo, an air-launched spacecraft designed to carry eight people on trips to suborbital space.

"We are excited to be working with NASA to provide the research community with this opportunity to carry out experiments in space, said George Whitesides, president and CEO of Virgin Galactic, in a statement.

Each suborbital spaceflight for NASA could carry up to 1,300 pounds (590 kilograms) of scientific experiments, allowing up to 600 different payloads per mission, Virgin Galactic officials said.

In the deal, NASA committed to chartering one flight with Virgin Galactic, with options for two more. If the space agency exercises those options and charters all three flights, the contract will be worth $4.5 million, officials said.

Virgin Galactic just announced Tuesday (Oct. 11) that it was hiring Mike Moses, NASA's former space shuttle launch integration manager, to become its vice president of operations.

In this role, Moses will oversee all operations at Spaceport America in New Mexico, the site of Virgin's commercial suborbital spaceflight program. The company is slated to dedicate its headquarters at the spaceport this coming Monday (Oct. 17).

Moses has considerable experience overseeing human spaceflight operations, most recently serving as NASA's deputy space shuttle program chief. He provided ultimate launch decision authority for the final 12 missions of the now-retired shuttle program, which lofted 75 astronauts to orbit.

Moses had worked as a space shuttle flight controller for 10 years before being selected as a flight director in 2005. He said he was happy to be making the leap to the private sector.

"I am extremely excited to be joining Virgin Galactic at this time, helping to forge the foundations that will enable routine commercial suborbital spaceflights," he said in a statement. "Virgin Galactic will expand the legacy of human spaceflight beyond traditional government programs into the world’s first privately funded commercial spaceline."
www.foxnews.com...

edit on 15-10-2011 by kwell because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I'm surprised that NASA has so many experiments to make... LOL

They had to find a way to go up there, and it is something I would not have thought to see them do. I guess that like many, I only thought of Russian rockets.

Plus, it is a sign of change of times. Imagine, we are the witnesses of the beginning of the era of commercial and public space trips. If all goes well, in 15, 20 years, we will be able to go in one of those space hotels for a fair price...

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Hi thanks for sharing mate

Well what the!! A great private enterprise and NASA sticks their dirty nose in, anything to do with space or what goes up in or near to it NASA is there.

Every dam time.

Each suborbital spaceflight for NASA could carry up to 1,300 pounds (590 kilograms) of scientific experiments, allowing up to 600 different payloads per mission, Virgin Galactic officials said.

what you guys don't have enough junk and experiments going on already the virgin shuttles do not have cargo bays or do they?
the SS2 will have a crew of two and room for only six passengers

well the plot thickens a Memorandum of understanding that was signed by both parties in 2007 sheds new light.
I understood that the above is a said gentleman's agreement.

read on

but in law if you follow the meaning

A specific type of memorandum is the policy briefing note (alternatively referred to in various jurisdictions and governing traditions as policy issues paper, policy memoranda, or cabinet submission amongst other terms), a document for transmitting policy analysis into the political decision making sphere. Typically, a briefing note may be denoted as either “for information” or “for decision”.

and dig deeper with the word briefing:

The origins of the term “briefing” lie in legal “briefs” and the derivative “military briefings”

That said in laymen terms what is seen or discovered will be accountable to us as a government agency that operates by the code of the military to serve the best interests of our governments.

Mmmm

FINE PRINT on the ticket
thanks for flying Virgin Galactic. Cameras, video equipment and mobile phones will be collected before departure, and flying times will be determined by NASA as not to coincide with sensitive secret ongoing operations.
enjoy your Virgin Galactic flight

en.wikipedia.org...

cheers

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ocker
FINE PRINT on the ticket
thanks for flying Virgin Galactic. Cameras, video equipment and mobile phones will be collected before departure, and flying times will be determined by NASA as not to coincide with sensitive secret ongoing operations.
enjoy your Virgin Galactic flight

Ah... The dream was nice while it lasted... LOL

Good post. I just hope they let people bring cameras if they are to make sure no one were to see sensitive operations.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ocker

Interesting. That never crossed my mind.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
So, if NASA charters a private spaceship (never thought I'd see the day), does that mean they can operate with greater secrecy in regards to their missions? It's good to be Branson right about now. Makes you wonder about our plans to scuttle the shuttle without having a new program to immediately replace it. Wow!

Thanks for posting

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
NASA going to private business funneling them money to perform.....

Even worse....there's a private company now in America with military fighter jets.....a private Air Force:

www.tads-usa.com/

Federal Government won't let you have a shotgun with a barrel less than 18"......but that private company has F-16's and the SkyHawks from New Zealand with avionics and weapon systems installed.

Why are Americans letting private "corporations" get so much power?

There are private corporations with assets in space now capable of killing people.

www.wired.com/wiredscience/2007/12/tiny-country-of/

The "private" company tested that space asset in 2009 and directed the suns energy at Earth. Anything within a 250 mile circle would have been cooked.

"Private Corporations" in America now have more power than most Governments of the world.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by kwell

If someone wants to sponcor me ill have ago at this.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by wlasikiewicz
reply to post by kwell

If someone wants to sponcor me ill have ago at this.

Go you it would be a wonderful experience.
wish I had a lazy $200.000 for a trip.

cheers

top topics

join