It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you have something huge to say, stop doing it, or create a thread

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by spw184

: I think she was trying to make a joke. Star for her for having a sense of humor (Uncommon on this site ._.)

Thank you for getting it dude LOL
and just so you know Im also a dude, I think the kitty cat makes people think Im a chick but am defo a bloke.

P.s to the OP does the 5 line quotta count if some of the lines are quotes of previous replies?

P.s first on page 2 YAY for me

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrunkNinja

Originally posted by mthgs602
You're all catching the grumpier side of me. Im in the military and im on watch right now so im freakin tired.

Um, last time I checked, sergeants don't allow laptops or internet connections while on watch. What military are you in exactly, the Youtube Army ?
edit on 15-10-2011 by DrunkNinja because: (no reason given)

Just walk into any Staff Duty or Charge of Quarters at Bragg. They have XBoxs, Playstations and Laptops, oh and pizza boxes all over.

The old days of staring at the door are over. There are a few exceptions where some one has ruined it for others though.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

You're all catching the grumpier side of me. Im in the military and im on watch right now so im freakin tired.

Um, last time I checked, sergeants don't allow laptops or internet connections while on watch. What military are you in exactly, the Youtube Army ?

Just walk into any Staff Duty or Charge of Quarters at Bragg. They have XBoxs, Playstations and Laptops, oh and pizza boxes all over.

The old days of staring at the door are over. There are a few exceptions where some one has ruined it for others though.

Thank you. Too many old schoolers stuck in in thier ways.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Thank you. Too many old schoolers stuck in in thier ways.

*cough cough* religon fourms *cough cough*

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I bypass large comments regularly. I prefer smart, pithy posts from intelligent members who can make their point succinctly. If it's larger than 4 average paragraphs, it's probably poorly written.

IRM

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by spw184

Thank you too. I find that people are having trouble interpreting what the word "joke
' means. You cant go and do something someone does not like (intentionally) and then say im joking.

Uggghh

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
I bypass large comments regularly. I prefer smart, pithy posts from intelligent members who can make their point succinctly. If it's larger than 4 average paragraphs, it's probably poorly written.

IRM
'

Agreed

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by spw184

IRM
'

Agreed

I second that

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Sorry but this is just irresistible.

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
awesome ability...this particular talent... feel free to show your appreciation...

Haha then you call someone else an arrogant prick.

Then you somehow try to twist your post into being a critique of the human condition and selfishness. Talk about flimsy! Also you have no idea how many people's hands are featured in that painting, or what the purpose of it was. I actually happen to think its an aesthetically pleasing image so perhaps the arrogant prick was right about people wanting to look at it. I think I might like it more than pictures of buffalo - seen loads of those.

To summarise.... sorry if I offended

thats not a summary, its a completely separate and unrelated point.

P.p.s I enjoy creative writing and if anyone is looking for a new author I would be happy to take the job

Good luck! Like most people in advertising and marketing (and I have known dozens if not hundreds) you are nowhere near as good as you think you are!

Seriously I don't mean to offend or attack you, just responding to your very bolshy post in a fittingly robust manner.

Back on topic - OP I know you clarified that it was just your personal viewpoint - I'm just offering a different point of view here. Some of us don't mind the longer posts, and while there are some people who love the sound of their own fingers tapping on the keyboard, sometimes posts end up long just because the writer is trying hard not to miss out any important details. Being concise is great but not always easy.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I guess i could summarize it as, i hate smoke and mirrors. Especially when its verbal.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by morkington

Yes, But a lot of long posts have filler, as IkNow demonstrated.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by morkington
Sorry but this is just irresistible.

awesome ability...this particular talent... feel free to show your appreciation...

Haha then you call someone else an arrogant prick.

Then you somehow try to twist your post into being a critique of the human condition and selfishness. Talk about flimsy! Also you have no idea how many people's hands are featured in that painting, or what the purpose of it was. I actually happen to think its an aesthetically pleasing image so perhaps the arrogant prick was right about people wanting to look at it. I think I might like it more than pictures of buffalo - seen loads of those.

To summarise.... sorry if I offended

thats not a summary, its a completely separate and unrelated point.

P.p.s I enjoy creative writing and if anyone is looking for a new author I would be happy to take the job

Good luck! Like most people in advertising and marketing (and I have known dozens if not hundreds) you are nowhere near as good as you think you are!

Seriously I don't mean to offend or attack you, just responding to your very bolshy post in a fittingly robust manner.

Back on topic - OP I know you clarified that it was just your personal viewpoint - I'm just offering a different point of view here. Some of us don't mind the longer posts, and while there are some people who love the sound of their own fingers tapping on the keyboard, sometimes posts end up long just because the writer is trying hard not to miss out any important details. Being concise is great but not always easy.

No i know i know. I do agree with you. I myself have done it many times in the past. Please all members do bear in mind, i do not mind writing long amounts of information. Its when a paragraph turns into an essay of large exquisite words and unnecisarily expanded explanations.

Im not bashing long posts. Im bashing long posts that dont need to be long. That could have good information, but overly drawn out, which i find can cause confusion amongst many. Maybe even sometimes intentional.

Thats all im really getting at

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by spw184

People chill I was just having some fun

Now can we pls stop picking on me and go back to attacking the OP

Cheers

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

reply to post by spw184

People chill I was just having some fun

Now can we pls stop picking on me and go back to attacking the OP

Cheers

A real eye opener

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

IRM

Me too. It speeds things up and i find that there is less confusion amongst the members. I think large responses are the reason for threads that are popular to plummet into a dark unkown off topic discussion.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by spw184

Sure I thought my post made it clear I already realised that, the posts with filler would be from the people who love the sound of their fingers tapping on the keyboard, and I did say *sometimes* posts get long because of not wanting to miss out detail.

Perhaps I wasn't literal enough but I certainly didn't mean to imply all long posts are good.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by davethebear
Obviously you are of the era/generation where you want everything summed up in a millisecond and also believe that you know everything there is to know anyway....

Well some of us actually come from a place where we actually like to have a bit of debate and intelligence and have an interest with what other people's point of view is. Obviously you are bored reading this post now because I have gone on longer than two lines of writing.

Just remember that there are other people other than yourself here on ATS and also upon the earth......

If you don't like to read too long into a thread, then go buy yourself a comic or join the nonsense they call Facebook.....

This is such a huge assumption. And insulting. You come froma place with a bit of intelligence.

First off, your response was great. I got past the fifth line because i could actually see the bottom of your post.

Secondly, just rude....just freakin rude.

These threads i make serve a double a purpose. First the response to the issue

Secondly, im taking in attitude and behaviour. Thus far lots of members assume that i have a problem. They assume they know exactly whats wrong and how to fix it.

this is not a problem for me. I dont mind debate. But when was the last time you debated with someone, NOT ONLINE (yes out of the house in the REAL WORLD), and you in your debate, to get your point across you would spit out a small freakin essay?

Never. That never happens in an actual debate. Putting out too much information is almost a form of cheating really. Overload someones thought process, and you can usually divert them from making an actual good point. Distract the mind. You HAVE heard of smoke and mirrors...correct?

I must say that was quite a long posting for you, I thought you liked to be succinct and to the point?

When you talk about debating in real life and not via the internet, I do happen to have discussions on quite a regular basis about a numerous range of topics with people with varying intellect.

You stated above about getting your point across and not spitting out a feakin essay when doing so. The difference between being on-line in a forum thread like this and being outside in the real world is interaction, communication and time. When you are talking to people in the real world(outside) there are gaps in conversation to allow the other person to reply with their answers and time to respond appropriately to whatever the discussion is about. This is called conversation. So basically everything said over time will amount to whatever you would have written within a posting(s) here on a forum, and in some instances a damn sight more.

The big difference between being on an internet forum and out in the real world is the concept of time. If an OP starts a thread and I want to reply to it in the manner I see fit, then I will do so, whether it be a small or large amount of written post, depending on what time of day it is.

I am sure that you are also aware that everybody who has access to ATS all live in different parts of the world because there are many countries out there in the big world. Now if somebody in a country lives in a time zone that is 11 hours in front of me, or indeed 11 hours behind me, then there are only a few sections of the day when people on a certain thread can all correspond appropriately at the same moment in time.Therefore people write what they feel appropriate because they may not be able to join in a thread debate in real time because they may either be going to bed or the person in the other country may be going to bed, depending on the time zone that they live in. Plus the fact that people have not got the time to stick to one particular thread when there are numerous others they can have an involvement in, plus other websites and maybe feeding kids and putting them to bed and various other chores that people have to do..

Now due to the quickness of how threads come and go here on ATS and the way that they disappear in no time at all, sometimes tomorrow may not be the appropriate time in which to leave any thoughts or feelings concerning the thread that has been started for debate or criticism. So therefore, that moment in time would be the most adequate time to do so...

Now I don't know how much of this post you have read in response to your earlier questioning of my earlier post, but without actually using sentences and paragraphs it would be very difficult to actually respond to your response in an appropriate manner to get across my thoughts within just two lines of writing. Does that make sense?

Oh, he's gone...................

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Yes, In a IRL debate, you have instant transfer of information, however if we had the same little comebacks that we do in debate, a 10 page thread would have to be 100 to get the point across.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
No long wall of text to read here. Wishing you the best OP!

Namaste!

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErgoTheConfusion
No long wall of text to read here. Wishing you the best OP!

Namaste!

Completely unrelated?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join