It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian Troops Enter Wadi Anjar, Set up Base on Lebanese Soil / Daher calls for expelling Syrian envo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
**MODS - A search did not locate this article / story so if already posted please lock / delete**

Syrian Troops Enter Wadi Anjar, Set up Base on Lebanese Soil

A Syrian army unit entered Lebanon on Wednesday and headed towards the Wadi Anjar region in the Bekaa where it set up base past the sand barrier which the Lebanese army had set up years ago to mark the borders, reported Voice of Lebanon radio.

The coordination and cooperation office between the two armies began their contacts to tackle the matter, with the army command demanding that the Syrian troops withdraw from Lebanon.

VDL also reported that Internal Security Forces Intelligence Bureau Bekaa branch managed to arrest two individuals, a Lebanese and a Syrian, accusing them of purchasing light and medium arms and smuggling them to Syria.

The Syrian national confessed that he came to the Bekaa to purchase weapons from Lebanese arms dealers, adding that he was seeking to buy RPGs and machineguns to transport them to Syria.

Investigations are underway with them.

Gengenian: Syrian envoy should be summoned

Lebanese Forces bloc MP Shant Gengenian said in an interview with Kuwaiti newspaper Al-Anbaa published on Saturday that the Syrian “violation” of Lebanese sovereignty calls for summoning Syrian Ambassador to Lebanon Ali Abdel Karim Ali to “convey a message objecting to the violation.”

“How will Syria react if the Lebanese army [enters] its territory?” the MP asked.

He also voiced surprise regarding the Lebanese cabinet’s “silence” on the incident, and called on Prime Minister Najib Mikati to take the “required measures” so the incident does not occur again.

Gengenian also called for taking action on the file concerning Lebanon’s border demarcation.

On Tuesday, Syrian army tanks crossed the Lebanese border near the town of Aarsal and fired several gunshots within Lebanese territory, while on Thursday Syrian troops shot and killed a farmer near Aarsal.

To read more: www.nowlebanon.com...
Only 25% of a given NOW Lebanon article can be republished. For information on republishing rights from NOW Lebanon: www.nowlebanon.com...

The latest -
Daher calls for expelling Syrian envoy

Future bloc MP Khaled Daher said in an interview published on Saturday that the Syrian Embassy in Lebanon has become a "spy-nest,” and called for expelling Syrian Ambassador to Lebanon Ali Abdel Karim Ali.

“It has been proven more than once that the Syrian embassy’s vehicles were used to kidnap Syrian dissidents in Lebanon,” Daher told As-Sharq al-Awsat newspaper.

Daher also called for expelling Syrian Ambassador to Lebanon Ali Abdel Karim Ali “because he unfoundedly accused Lebanese nationals of committing [wrongful acts], surpassed diplomatic norms between Lebanon and Syria, and is acting like the ‘head of a gang’ that assaults Syrian dissidents in Lebanon.”

The MP also said that “the Syrian embassy is working hard to collect information and arrest Syrian dissenters and Lebanese nationals who sympathize with the Syrian people.”

To read more: www.nowlebanon.com...
Only 25% of a given NOW Lebanon article can be republished. For information on republishing rights from NOW Lebanon: www.nowlebanon.com...

Click link for remainder of the story.

Turkey cannot block Israel's oil supply
Turkey blocks Israeli bid for opening NATO office - Sept 18th 2011
Turkey, Israel, Greece and Russia mobilising over Cyprus gas

There seems to be a lot of airspce violations occuring as well, from Greece, Turkey, Iran, Syria, Cyrpus Lebanon and Israel over the last year.

** If anyone has Arab news sources touching on these topics please include the links / info in your posts. It looks like the game of chess is heating up some.
edit on 15-10-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Some interesting information coming out of the region. Syrian forces entered Lebanon and set up a base on the Lebanese side of the border. Syria justifies its actions by saying that is where weapons are being smuggeled in. They apparently crossed the border and fired on a battery factory as well.

The interesting part to me, yet not surprising, was the response from the Lebanese Government. Turns out that most of the Cabinet didnt seem all that concerned about the Syrian incursion.

After a brief exchange between both military commands, the Syrians eventually withdrew form Lebanese territory.

Fair disclosure -
** - The Lebanese border in that area with Syria is not completely settled or marked.
** - Lebanese forces arrested a Lebanese and Syrian citizen who have confessed to smuggeling weapons into Syria, and regardless of the protest (even if there were no protests) occuring the actions are valid in my opinion.

The question -
Is this a sign of a possible shift in Syrian - Lebanese relations back to the days of Syrian military units in Lebanon? The silence from the cabinet looks to be confirmation that it might be a possibility.

If arms continue to cross do we think Syria might force the issue by occupying on a permanent basis if Lebanon doesnt stop the flow on their own?

What are the possibilities of a conflict breaking out between Syrian and Lebanese forces?

As close as the Syrians and Lebanese have been and still are, I found it surprising the incident occured without Syrian notifying their Lebanese counterparts.

A few other notable incidents that have occured the last 2 weeks.

* - Turkey is stopping the flow of oil to Israel, stating they wiull no longer allow that resource to go through their country.
* - Turkey has blocked a move by Israel to open a NATO office in Israel.

The NATO office really set some red flags off, and does lend to the possibility that something major might be coming down the road in the region. I ahve never heard of ISrael attempting to open a NATO office until this week.

Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Some interesting information coming out of the region. Syrian forces entered Lebanon and set up a base on the Lebanese side of the border. Syria justifies its actions by saying that is where weapons are being smuggeled in. They apparently crossed the border and fired on a battery factory as well.

The interesting part to me, yet not surprising, was the response from the Lebanese Government. Turns out that most of the Cabinet didnt seem all that concerned about the Syrian incursion.

After a brief exchange between both military commands, the Syrians eventually withdrew form Lebanese territory.

Fair disclosure -
** - The Lebanese border in that area with Syria is not completely settled or marked.
** - Lebanese forces arrested a Lebanese and Syrian citizen who have confessed to smuggeling weapons into Syria, and regardless of the protest (even if there were no protests) occuring the actions are valid in my opinion.

The question -
Is this a sign of a possible shift in Syrian - Lebanese relations back to the days of Syrian military units in Lebanon? The silence from the cabinet looks to be confirmation that it might be a possibility.

If arms continue to cross do we think Syria might force the issue by occupying on a permanent basis if Lebanon doesnt stop the flow on their own?

What are the possibilities of a conflict breaking out between Syrian and Lebanese forces?

As close as the Syrians and Lebanese have been and still are, I found it surprising the incident occured without Syrian notifying their Lebanese counterparts.

A few other notable incidents that have occured the last 2 weeks.

* - Turkey is stopping the flow of oil to Israel, stating they wiull no longer allow that resource to go through their country.
* - Turkey has blocked a move by Israel to open a NATO office in Israel.

The NATO office really set some red flags off, and does lend to the possibility that something major might be coming down the road in the region. I ahve never heard of ISrael attempting to open a NATO office until this week.

Thoughts?

As always your threads are always informative i want to add some points and wonder if i can since if been wondering.

What if the Sryian oppostion or Sryian rebels now who are protesting are actually NATO,American, John McCain backed terrorists black OP fighters hired by the west to stir up a fighting like they have in libya, now what if these seem Sryian terrorists smuggled the arms from an old army post in Lebanon seeing how the Lebanese officials didnt respond by attacking at the Syrian forces? maybe the Lebanese officials.

They knew that the Sryian terrorists smuggled the arms from Lebanon in the first place.

Turkey has blocked a move by Israel to open a NATO office in Israel.

For once i am glad Turkey blocked them,Israel isnt a member of the EU Union, if NATO does open a office which i think they will still do despite the blocking, if NATO actually does this, then it would mean the serbs were right about everything about NATO been evil or about the fact of been puppets of america and britian.

edit on 15-10-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
As always your threads are always informative i want to add some points and wonder if i can since if been wondering.

Absolutely... I tried to use non traditional sources for the info. If you have other sources touching on this topi that have more info or paints the other side of the picture please include the info and links. Things are starting to pick up speed in the ME and im going to assume that news reporting is going to lag a bit because of all the issues that are popping up.

As a side note protests are starting up again in Egypt because of the military rule.

What if the Sryian oppostion or Sryian rebels now who are protesting are actually NATO,American, John McCain backed terrorists black OP fighters hired by the west to stir up a fighting like they have in libya, now what if these seem Sryian terrorists smuggled the arms from an old army post in Lebanon seeing how the Lebanese officials didnt respond by attacking at the Syrian forces? maybe the Lebanese officials.

They knew that the Sryian terrorists smuggled the arms from Lebanon in the first place.

A valid question, however I dont know the answer to it. Its one thing for arab countries to blame the US for supporting the opposition. I would imagine that if Syria had specific information directly linking the West / NATO to the arms coming in, that they would announce it to the world along with how they arrived at that conclusion.

To be honest thats one of the issues that annoys me in this region. Anyone can announce this country did this and should be held accountible. Thats where the story seems to stop imo. They highlight the issue, make the accusations, but fail to provide the info to support the claim. By info I mean the A to Z explanation, links, dates etc (which is whats being asked of the US for the assasination accusation, and rightfully so).,

We seem to be moving from a 3 month news cycle to a more weekly and now daily news cycle.

I think multiple hands are now in the pot stirring however the problem is pin pointing / identifying those hands and what strings they are tugging on. Turkey is a perfect example, going from close ally to the West, to a more distanced relationship, to close ties with Iran only to be scaled back, to Syrias issue and Turkey responding to it, to the increasing confrontatiional rheotirc that Turkey and Israel are tossing back and forth to each other.

Im starting to think that all its going to take to put the match to the powder keg is one very minor incident that gets interpreted in the wrong manner, leading to a faulty conclusion.

For once i am glad Turkey blocked them,Israel isnt a member of the EU Union, if NATO does open a office which i think they will still do despite the blocking, if NATO actually does this, then it would mean the serbs were right about everything about NATO been evil or about the fact of been puppets of america and britian.

edit on 15-10-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

The NATO office confused me some, however im thinking that by office they were talking about the type of setup that NATO and Russia have. Turkeys objections revolved around ISreali access to Turkish radar stations and air defense info (Turkey feels Israel will possibly use their airspce for an attack on Iran).

There would be no basis for Isreal formally joining NATO since the charter only applies to European events / North American events. Ive always assumed Israel had access to that info regardless because oif the close military ties to the US and Western European countries.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Yeah, I found another source..

BEIRUT: Lebanese authorities denied Thursday reports that the Syrian Army had entered the Bekaa town of Anjar a day earlier.

www.dailystar.com.lb...

Supposedly it was only 15 soldiers anyway...

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Army foils arms smuggling attempt - Daily Star

Updated article October 15th.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

The update doesn't change what I posted..

Officials deny the report and locals say it was only 15 troops..

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

The update doesn't change what I posted..

Officials deny the report and locals say it was only 15 troops..

Quit playing the stupid word games and read the first post before opening your mouth please.

Any Syrian military unti that crosses into Lebanon is a military incursion. A base can be anything from a massive tract of land with buildings, barracks etc and can be as small as a campfire and 3 soldiers.

If you have something positive to contribute please do so. We dont need the thread derailed with another game of "can you tell me what the definition of is is?".

Thank you

** EDIT to ADD -
Lebanese, Syrian officials stress on joint border cooperation - PressTV

The Lebanese March 14 movement has accused the Syrian embassy in Beirut of standing behind the alleged disappearance of Syrian opposition figures in Lebanon. It has also called on the Lebanese government to take action against what it says violations of Lebanese territories by the Syrian army.

These accusations are related to the disappearance of a Syrian opposition figure in eastern Lebanon several months ago, and the Syrian army entering a border area with Lebanon to hunt down a Syrian national it accused of smuggling weapons to some anti regime protesters in Syria.

But the Syrian ambassador to Lebanon described the talk of Syrian involvement in kidnapping people as unfounded, accusing some Lebanese of seeking to undermine the ties between Lebanon and Syria.

Meanwhile Lebanese political and military officials say that the Syrian army entered a border area which is not demarcated and that it was hence not clear if it was Lebanese or Syrian territory. These officials also said a joint Syrian Lebanese investigation was being launched into the matter. Some analysts say that the March 14 rhetoric is part of a coordination plan with western powers that have called on Lebanon to protect Syrian opposition elements in its territories.

Click link for remainder of article.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Quit playing the stupid word games and read the first post before opening your mouth please.

Any Syrian military unti that crosses into Lebanon is a military incursion. A base can be anything from a massive tract of land with buildings, barracks etc and can be as small as a campfire and 3 soldiers.

If you have something positive to contribute please do so. We dont need the thread derailed with another game of "can you tell me what the definition of is is?".

Stupid word games??
I think that's your realm mate..

I simply pointed out that it wasn't exactly a HUGE force and that Lebanese officials deny it even happened..

How is that derailing your thread..????

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

If you took the time to read the post you would know.

As far as word games go, dont even go there Mr. Laser, not laser, guided, not guided, rocket not a rocket but missile but not a missile but piddely little bottle rockets launched by hamas but not hamas because hamas is part of mossad but not part of mossad because Israel is evil and builds illegal homes yet forget the fact arabs attacked Israel and lost the land in those attacks, im taking my jacks and going home.

Thats all you seem to do in threads is latch onto something trivial and off topic to derail the thread, as you did in this one. Had you read the op and the questions asked, youd be on topic.

Im jsut going to make it easier on myself and just go back to ignoring your posts. When you decide you have something to add to the thread thats on topic, feel free to come back.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Im jsut going to make it easier on myself and just go back to ignoring your posts. When you decide you have something to add to the thread thats on topic, feel free to come back.

You do that mate, but don't worry..
I'll keep posting just to point out how YOU twist words to suit your agenda.
You can't ignore facts by ignoring me.

Stay cool.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Yet you fail to provide any info to support that goal... Typical.

i wonder what possible reason the PM of Lebanon would have for not speaking out against Syiran troops entering their territory.

Syrian troops entered lebanon, not in dispute.
Syrian troops killed a farmer, not in dispute.

It doesnt matter if its 1500, or 15 troops, they entered lebanses territory.

The government in lebanon is downplaying it occured, and the PM corrected himself in the follow up post I made by saying it was referred to the joint cmilitary committee they have.

You are ignoring it for obvious reasons.

Anything else to add to the thread thats factual?

top topics

join