It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What type of animal did i see deep in the woods?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I have lived on this huge property for many years and have seen a lot of different animals such as deer, squirrel, fox, armadillos, buzzards, crows, very poisonous water moccasins and rattlesnakes, small birds, rats, wild cats and many more animals. Today i was walking through the woods to put out corn for deer to feed on as i usually do this time of year and i went back a little farther then usual. After i got to the spot i poured the corn out and then started to leave. As i was walking back through the woods i heard something that sounded sort of like a dog growling and so i stopped and looked around but i did not see anything at all. I had my gun with me so i was not scared at all. I sat down by a tree for about 10 minutes and as i was sitting by the tree i heard leaves and pine straw crunching just like something big was walking through the woods. It sounded like it was coming towards me and my heart started punding. I thought it might be a deer at first walking to the corn i put out but i was very wrong. The animal came up about 10 yards away from me. It looked strait at me and i was about to shoot it but i guess it got frightened and decided to run away. The animal was very dark brown, almost black. The teeth on it were all the way down the bottom of its mouth. It had a very long nose like a dog but it was much bigger then a dog. If i stood up the animal would probably come to the top of my navel and i am about 6'4. It had white looking eyes. The fur on its back was in like a v shape and its side was mashed in like the animal had been run over by a car or truck I tried to take a quick picture with my phone when it was running but the pic turned out to not be so good. I do not think the animal was a wolf or a coyote because it was huge, even to me. Does anyone have a clue to what this animal could possibly be?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
It sounds like it was probably some kind of larger grey wolf. There are some of them that come in black. From the sound of it, it's been mixing with a bigger dog breed, possibly a husky.
edit on 15-10-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

I have never seen a wolf out here where i live. I know there are plenty of coyotes but i have nevr seen a wolf. If it was a wolf it probably is not supposed to be here. Most of this land is flat but full of many different types of trees. It is very thick and dark woods.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
What about a Great Dane mix ?
That would definately be a strange animal ...especialy living in the wild

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by granpabobby

It was a bit bigger then a great dane. Maybe a mix of 2 huge animals. One of the huge animals being a great dane. I wish i could have got a good pic of it then i would have put it up for peopl to see but the pic i got was dark and the animal could not even be seen and it was also blurry so the pic i took while it was running was horrible.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
i live in ne texas and we have coyotes almost the size of deer.me and my redbone hound tried to cut one off in a pasture.coming at him at two angles like a v
with him as the point.im very fast for 43.6ft tall .the coyote out run both of us by 100ft.and we had a good start on him.ours are the color of red foxes.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by demonologist842012

Well,well,well, from your description it appears to be one of these.

Link en.wikipedia.org...

I have only dealt with one or two in my lifetime. Out in North Western Colorado.

The locals, back then, insisted that these were far more dangerous animals to encounter

than the bears. Stories were passed that a legendary one ripped its way out of a 50 Gallon Drum.(The 90
Degree Molar).

These were tough people I dealt with, and they wouldn't bull about something like that.

Then again, it might be an inorganic being. In which case, not only am I wrong, but you are in for

an unusual experience beyond measure. Hold on Tight, and Cheers

edit on 15-10-2011 by Wildmanimal because: Add in Content/Grammar

edit on 15-10-2011 by Wildmanimal because: Accuracy

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by robomont

Dude if you're 43.6 ft tall nothing could outrun you!! Your stride would be HUGE!!!

Sorry I had to go there.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Perhaps it's a long shot....but what about a Wild Boar? They can get HUGE...especially if they've mated with an escaped domestic pig bred for size (Google pics of Hogzilla)

Like I said....it's a long shot, but the way you described the teeth reminded me a bit of the tusks of a Wild Boar.

I had one run me and my girlfriend of the time into our tent and then proceeded to eat our food!

It was a nasty thing! Not afraid of us at all, and I had no weapon so I wasn't about to approach it. It was dark and I thought it might be a dog at first...but it ran funny, and had a kind of 'hunched over' stance....once it got in the light of the campfire I could tell it was a boar.

Anyway....I'm not suggesting it's what you saw for sure......just a possibility to ponder.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

That is hilarious! Nothing like a camping trip with a girlfriend for drama

At any rate, she'll never forget an experience like that.

Thanks for making me laugh, I needed it.

Back to The Topic.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mus8472

android phones are not a pleasure to type on xtdvgvbgn,m

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mus8472

android phones are not a pleasure to type on xtdvgvbgn,m

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by robomont

Yea i was thinking about the huge height you typed. I was like wow i would look like a midget to him haha. I am a little over 6'4 and 260 pounds. I am usually the biggest thing in our woods but not since i seen the animal. I think differently now.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
to the op, without sounding weird, but i think you simply described bob's sister, i know she's into the hairy side of thing's but we did make her wear a neck bell so as we know when she's about. Once we even tried to do the brazilian was job, you know what i mean....but sadly the cost of the was far exceeded the actual cost of the brazilian. It was estimated that bob's sister required something like 1 metric ton of wax for each leg and we handn't approched the back hair yet.

In any case, nice story, sad about not being able to get a better snap shot.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   

It could've been some kinda of a malamute(giant domestic wolf with light eyes) mixed breed dog. They can yield some pretty creepy black "wolves".

"Giant" Malamute

www.alaskanmalamutepups.com...

Isn't he a pretty boy? They get bigger than even him. Also, because they're more wolf than dog, they come in black/brown. When I was younger there was a lovely malamute in my town that explored the woods often, he scared the heck out of some people, because he looked like a wolf, but he was as friendly as any other dog. They really tend to scare people because they have a coat again, more like a wild wolf than a dog. Along the back it's common for it to be coarse and show odd shape.

Also, if a wild animal had been brave enough to get 10 feet from you, it would've attacked. It sounds like you ran into a big malamute. Boston, the dog I knew was about the size of your friend.

Malamutes can be a very menacing looking dog if encountered in the woods, alone. The first time I saw Boston, my heart sank. Then I realized that the big bad wolf was sitting quietly waiting for me to pet him.

edit on 15-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

A friend of mine had a Malamut,they are gorgeous dogs,although hers wasn't a giant.Their eyes are piercing to say the least and are very loving they make good family,working dogs.

As far as the beast the op saw,well all I can say is that there seems to be a pattern of strange animals being spotted lately..I would love to know what they are

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

I think there's a good chance that it was a malamute. Left to their own, outdoors, they can't be fenced, and they love to roam far from home. They'll also feed themselves. That "beast" was probably a malamute that's been eating the corn.
I can't think of anything else that would be, big, black/brown, have white/blue eyes, sound "like a dog", and be cautious of danger. Black and brown is a rare color for a malamute, but they do exist.

They also tend to get into a lot of trouble while roaming (like cars), and can sneak up on you very easily. When I met Boston he got about 5 feet away, I turned around, and BAM! Omg wolf! No, wait, he has a tag and it says Boston.....is he from Boston, or is he Boston? I deduced after having him follow around me for a while that his name was Boston. I also remember the first time I actually heard him bark/growl. It sounded very different from a regular dog. Much deeper. If I was the op I would not fire anything at the animal until I was sure that it wasn't someone's dog.

Here's a clip of a malamute growling. They have a wide range of vocal tones.

Here's a video of Malamute/German Shepard mixed dogs.

It could also be a Newfoundland/Malamute mixed breed.

purebreed newfoundland
edit on 15-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join