It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing the Home Patrol One. Don't stay home without it.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Idiot proof for idiots like me.

the Home Patrol One APCO-25 capable radio scanner that quickly and easily scans your local emergency broadcast networks automatically and with the touch of a button. All you do is enter your zip code.

Now I am not sure if it will receive ham radio or all the other bands but for 79 bucks you can get a portable scanner like the BC72LXT and toss it into the bug out bag.

The Home Patrol One, also has a GPS add on you can get so that if you are on the road, as it approaches stations it tunes them in because it knows where the stations are located and where you are by GPS.

What do you think of that little marvel?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
pretty cool

They have android apps that do the same, but when the shtf and you loose cell service well, you know.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Like how you can punch in your zip code and it will scan for agency frequencies. However in a SHTF scenario you might not have power so how are you gonna get this to work without a crap load of batteries??
And does this allow trunked frequencies?? if not its probably useless, because in a SHTF time, most agencies are using trunked systems so people cant listen in.
And also, I typed in my zip code and it found frequencies that I already have on my hand held scanner for half the price.
I would use your handheld and and use this to find the freq www.cityfreq.com...

good luck my friend..sorry no star for you

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LrBc1275
Like how you can punch in your zip code and it will scan for agency frequencies. However in a SHTF scenario you might not have power so how are you gonna get this to work without a crap load of batteries??
And does this allow trunked frequencies?? if not its probably useless, because in a SHTF time, most agencies are using trunked systems so people cant listen in.
And also, I typed in my zip code and it found frequencies that I already have on my hand held scanner for half the price.
I would use your handheld and and use this to find the freq www.cityfreq.com...

good luck my friend..sorry no star for you

Ow, you got me right in the eye.

Well it carries the entire database in it. You just update it on-line. It already has the entire database.

I know its a bit pricey but you can disconnect the GPS so 'THEY' won't be able to find you when TSHTF.

If 'they' are not after you, then as you flee as long as GPS is up and running, it automatically tunes in while you drive. Major road block ahead, people on fire, it will tell you while you drive. It automatically tunes in to the disaster channels in that area where you are at that moment.

You would need to download your entire frequency list from that website you mentioned. And then what? Have a cheat sheet? This carries it on a chip ready at any moment.

It is pricey though. With all the extras almost 800 bucks at one place.

At Amazon with the GPS and no extra antenna etc it is $568.40 That might be worthwhile.

But I found out it does receive Ham radio, so you don't need the hand held as well.

Somewhere they talk about a handset for it, and a two way handset for it. Maybe you can use it as a scanner and also use it as a two way radio?
(I want that star
)

Check this out, from the link you provided just forSeattle

Imagine if you had to program that yourself into your hand held scanner.

And yes it does all the trunking stuff too as well as APCO. The only problem is, in some situations everyone on APCO goes to encryption. Well they try to in some instances. But studies on it done by some university showed that the people don't know how to use their radios so they often just think they are using encryption and talk about top secret stuff. Take a look at APCO-25 in wiki.

edit on 14-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Def a good find...just not for me. Ill use a reg scanner and a HAM / am radio would probably be CRUCIAL in a long term situation (although thats in a "hunker-down" staying at home). When it comes to this, gear is all about the person. If you do get this make sure you post your comments, pros, cons, etc.

I assume if your looking at this you have plenty of food and water !!!!!!!!!!!!! HA!

PS YOU GOT IT !!!!!!!!!!
edit on 14-10-2011 by LrBc1275 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LrBc1275
Def a good find...just not for me. Ill use a reg scanner and a HAM / am radio would probably be CRUCIAL in a long term situation (although thats in a "hunker-down" staying at home). When it comes to this, gear is all about the person. If you do get this make sure you post your comments, pros, cons, etc.

I assume if your looking at this you have plenty of food and water !!!!!!!!!!!!! HA!

PS YOU GOT IT !!!!!!!!!!
edit on 14-10-2011 by LrBc1275 because: (no reason given)

Well its portable so you can take it with you.

Its just that if you are hunkered down, you might want to know if the buildings are on fire.

Does your scanner have instant replay? Or record option? This baby does.

edit on 14-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: bad link to video

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I'm going to buy one next week from Amazon for $568 with the GPS plug in.

And I am going to get a better antenna for it, since someone suggested that. And since its only 22 bucks. I will raid my penny jar for that extra cost. In fact if I roll up all my change I might get a leather carrying case.

Here is a high gain antenna for it, the Diamond RH77CA
You can get BNC or SMA.

Well thats not everything I need yet but thats a darn good start towards radio equipment for the apocalypse.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7

Yeah, but can it brew its own beer and bottle it in 6.3 minutes flat ?

Because in a real SHTF scenario, I just want to get drunk and watch the poop fly in all directions before I bend over to kiss my derriere goodbye.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Home Patrol One is not worth it, you could get the same frequencies with a ipod ap or find them online for free.
Ham radio is better for scanning because you can tx and rx in a shtf. An actual scanner would be 2nd best, but before you buy a scanner check to see if your location has gone digital. A digital scanner will be high priced too.

Anyway the Home Patrol One is a big rip off.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Ok well I should add a caveat, if you are in fact a Canadian such as myself, then it could take you up to two weeks to get the buttons figured out as you can see here

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge

Yeah, but can it brew its own beer and bottle it in 6.3 minutes flat ?

Because in a real SHTF scenario, I just want to get drunk and watch the poop fly in all directions before I bend over to kiss my derriere goodbye.

I would be willing to wager you could crush grapes with it, and stir root beer with it. Thats about it.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by imitator
Home Patrol One is not worth it, you could get the same frequencies with a ipod ap or find them online for free.
Ham radio is better for scanning because you can tx and rx in a shtf. An actual scanner would be 2nd best, but before you buy a scanner check to see if your location has gone digital. A digital scanner will be high priced too.

Anyway the Home Patrol One is a big rip off.

Well thats not what everyone else says, and will your ham radio record things on the fly? Like you will be there in your bunker saying "what did he just say??? Did he just say the cannibal hordes are at the gate??? " but it will be too late for you because they will have got him and you will not know.

Me, I will be there, and with a press of a button, press instant replay, and then I will know.

And he will have said "can you take some boarders before its too late" or "can you fill those orders before its too late" or "the orders you gave us are too late"

And you won't know what he said.

edit on 14-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: typo

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Well I guess I shouldn't jump to conclusions until get mine shipped to me. It will probably sound like this...

I will be driving in the middle of the night in my bread truck doing deliveries with the thing on the seat...

"One Adam 12 One Adam 12 we have a 2120 heading east bound in your direction over. The suspect is armed and dangerous."

And I will be what direction???

And then the reply will come "roger that we have an unintelligible in our way and we are going to unintelligible as soon as we can unintelligible over"

Then I will hear the sirens behind me.

edit on 15-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Rocketman, let us know when you get your fancy radio and when cannibal hordes invade your bunker too...Oops you can't do that because your fancy radio has no transmit.... To bad you don't have a CHEAP ham radio with tx to call in the troops, maybe the cannibals will be entertained by the noises that your pretty radio puts out.

edit on 15-10-2011 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Rocketman, let us know when you get your fancy radio and when cannibal hordes invade your bunker too...Oops you can't do that because your fancy radio has no transmit.... To bad you don't have a CHEAP ham radio with tx to call in the troops, maybe the cannibals will be entertained by the noises that your pretty radio puts out.

edit on 15-10-2011 by imitator because: (no reason given)

I broke down and bought a ham radio portable too. A Wouxun for 100 bucks because I was thinking, you know how frustrating that might be, to hear someone you know, like a family member you lost or something in the apocalypse and you can hear them telling people they are looking for you and you are there pulling your hair out because you can't answer.
Yeah I got one.

A Chinese one. And it looks pretty cool for 100 bucks

I bought antennas for both of them. The Home Patrol and that to extend their range.

I should get it by next Thursday if they are not on back order. They have 28 home patrol 1s in Amazon, but I couldn't get the right antennas there and I wanted to get everything from the one store.

MTC could not ship to my location, I kept getting the error they cannot get a quote for my area.
Too bad for them they won't get my business so I went to Universal

I have the bug now. All my paychecks will be going to accessories, and new radios, and more stuff like a radio modem

But that Home Patrol -1, that should be lots of fun.

As for the hand held ham radio well Those are the buttons you have to press in order to talk I think.
edit on 15-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: well

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocketman7
A Chinese one. And it looks pretty cool for [url=http://www.maintradingcompany.com/cart/Wouxun-KG-UVD1P-

The Wouxun is cool looking, does that come with stereo, I noticed this range FM: 76-108 MHz (RX).

The Chinese do make some nice radios, I have noticed them on ebay with great prices. but of course most hams curse them on performance and regulations etc. I have been planning to buy a freq counter that is Chinese made, it works no different than any American made one, only difference is price.

What you need next is a HF transceiver, I have the Yaesu FT-747GX it's old but affordable... and a DX-394 rx too, they work great together... also have the FT-7800 and a few scanners that work great together as well. I need a digital next!

Don't forget CB radios lol, not that you will need them because a HF tx will cover those bands. They will be useful when the cell towers go down and are rugged with more tx range when moving around. If you get a CB, get the export radios they cover more freqs and much more powerful. I have the Superstar SS-158 EDX 10 Meter Radio in my truck, it has internal factory options for expanded frequency coverage in which I modified myself, way to easy heh....24.265-29.655 Mhz

All my stuff is old, I admit I'm a little jealous about the Home Patrol -1, but I dunno... I think my ipod can do the same thing. Maybe I'll eventually pick one up 10 years from now lol.
But that all depends when the bug hits me again.

edit on 16-10-2011 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

The Wouxun is cool looking, does that come with stereo, I noticed this range FM: 76-108 MHz (RX).

The Chinese do make some nice radios, I have noticed them on ebay with great prices. but of course most hams curse them on performance and regulations etc. I have been planning to buy a freq counter that is Chinese made, it works no different than any American made one, only difference is price.

What you need next is a HF transceiver, I have the Yaesu FT-747GX it's old but affordable... and a DX-394 rx too, they work great together... also have the FT-7800 and a few scanners that work great together as well. I need a digital next!

Don't forget CB radios lol, not that you will need them because a HF tx will cover those bands. They will be useful when the cell towers go down and are rugged with more tx range when moving around. If you get a CB, get the export radios they cover more freqs and much more powerful. I have the Superstar SS-158 EDX 10 Meter Radio in my truck, it has internal factory options for expanded frequency coverage in which I modified myself, way to easy heh....24.265-29.655 Mhz

All my stuff is old, I admit I'm a little jealous about the Home Patrol -1, but I dunno... I think my ipod can do the same thing. Maybe I'll eventually pick one up 10 years from now lol.
But that all depends when the bug hits me again.

There are some nice looking HF transceivers out there thats for sure. I have seen price tags like 2 grand. It might be awhile before I am that addicted.

You know I bought a hand held cb once from radio shack, thinking that would be good enough for the bug out bag. And it had a telescopic antenna. I listened and listened and listened and never once heard so much as a murmur on the thing. Nothing. Not a peep. I ended up just throwing it away. But now that I have looked into radio stuff, I think maybe I understand more about it. You know I figured even if I went camping and broke my leg, then I could call for help. Or, if the car broke down and needed a boost, but whats the point when there isn't anyone there at all. My area is not a cb area, there are no major highways for truckers or long haul tourists.

I sure like that Wouxun price. I was looking around to see if anyone knew of an equivalent to the FT-817ND made by Wouxun but I think they just sell handhelds.

I have heard lots of people say they are excellent value for the money. Of course if the repeater goes down they will be only good for 3 miles. Thats like having one walkie talkie. I don't know what good one walkie talkie is.
Maybe some time I should by another one so I at least have two walkie talkies.

One of the reasons I bought it is because it can be used without a license on some bands.
Part 90 certified

edit on 16-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: typo

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

There are some nice looking HF transceivers out there thats for sure. I have seen price tags like 2 grand. It might be awhile before I am that addicted.

When the zombie apocalypse comes or a major CME heads towards Earth I'm sure CB will come back in style. lol.. But yeah there are some really nice HF tx that can monitor several bands in one sweep, some have a built in spectrum analyzer. Just having one in a SHTF is a major plus. A spectrum analyzer is on my to get list.

The thing about the export CB's is they can reach some parts of 10 meter band that are being used by military which could be a good thing depending on the scenario. It would also be great for setting up comunication for several miles apart. Another plus, exports can avoid skip conditions because it's more broadbanded compared to cheap American cb's who are stuck on 40 channels.

They make export handheld cb's too, those little telescope antenna's are only good for about a mile or two. If you get a handheld you would want it to be able to connect to a big 1/2 or 5/8 wavelength vertical antenna. You could create one out of coax using a simple math formula. Same with 2 meter and 70 cm, you could make a beam antenna out of clothes hangers for your VHF handheld.

I like the Wouxun you picked out, I might buy one of those, having the FM: 76-108 MHz is cool because most 2 meter radios omit them. Being Part 90 certified is good, I guess you could talk on the FRS/GMRS freqs. However if you live in a remote area it's just as good to have a CB in your collection, because If there is no CB action in your area then there's probably no FRS . But I'm sure if you connected your cb to a big antenna you might catch something.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

When the zombie apocalypse comes or a major CME heads towards Earth I'm sure CB will come back in style. lol.. But yeah there are some really nice HF tx that can monitor several bands in one sweep, some have a built in spectrum analyzer. Just having one in a SHTF is a major plus. A spectrum analyzer is on my to get list.

The thing about the export CB's is they can reach some parts of 10 meter band that are being used by military which could be a good thing depending on the scenario. It would also be great for setting up comunication for several miles apart. Another plus, exports can avoid skip conditions because it's more broadbanded compared to cheap American cb's who are stuck on 40 channels.

They make export handheld cb's too, those little telescope antenna's are only good for about a mile or two. If you get a handheld you would want it to be able to connect to a big 1/2 or 5/8 wavelength vertical antenna. You could create one out of coax using a simple math formula. Same with 2 meter and 70 cm, you could make a beam antenna out of clothes hangers for your VHF handheld.

I like the Wouxun you picked out, I might buy one of those, having the FM: 76-108 MHz is cool because most 2 meter radios omit them. Being Part 90 certified is good, I guess you could talk on the FRS/GMRS freqs. However if you live in a remote area it's just as good to have a CB in your collection, because If there is no CB action in your area then there's probably no FRS . But I'm sure if you connected your cb to a big antenna you might catch something.

Well I wonder if that Home Patrol picks up CB? I should see if I can find out...
Amateur, Marine, CB and FRS services and all the public and emergency and pretty much everything I guess.

So then I wonder if my Wouxun can reply on the CB band? UK and Australia it can, but they use a UHF band for CB. You know I might still have that hand held its just that I can't find it. I was questioning why I would throw it away recently when it was still like new, but I just can't remember what I did with it. I got rid of tons of stuff when I moved. You know you collect all this old stuff like old harddrives, and cable modems, and pc hardware, and boxes of adapters, and it all ends up looking the same after a while and you don't want to throw it out, but its worthless. No one will buy it, even if the equipment looks good because its outdated. So at a point I decided to just close my eyes and throw boxes of the stuff into the dumpster. It was painful, but at the same time how many years are you going to just store stuff and never even look at it.

So maybe it went out with some of that or its still buried in some of the stuff I kept. It was cheap anyway and you cannot compare it to the Wouxun. Maybe at one time, that portable radio shack cb was the wouxun of its day.

Now the Wouxun is a marvel by comparison. It was the size of the original mobile phones practically. Weighs 4 pounds. Telescopic antenna was about 7 foot.
The Wouxun is a tiny thing by comparison and does a million more things. You know it might be worthwhile though to put a cb in the van. Its just that in the back of my mind, I am thinking maybe I would rather have one of these. Wouxun is coming out with a mobile unit.

Maybe it will be a hundred bucks too. Its too bad that my Wouxun hand held can't get the American and Canadian cb band. 27 Mhz 11 m

89 bucks for a Uniden CB for the van
At least on the van the antenna would be less of an issue.

You would know this better than me, if I get that wouxun mobile, I will be able to use it as a repeater with my handheld if I want to, to boost my hand held signal from 5 watts to the 50 watts of the mobile correct?

Thats 10 times the signal strength if needed. I don't know but I assume if I drive up a mountain, I could reach China with that.

edit on 16-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: added question

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
This is what I use in my B.O.B.
www.greamerica.com...
GRE PSR-500. You can get a little better than this,
and that is the PSR-800.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join