It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mount Rainier Rumbling?? Let's watch her.....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
better keep an eye on the entire west coast USGS eq map. if its solar related as i suspect there could be trouble brewing on the fault lines as well.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Good observation. The whole planet is showing a concerning increase in magma movement to the earths crust all over the place.

see anything post it, thank you. We all have to be watching.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Found them, thank you. Isn't that number of earthquakes in WA extremely unusual?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by poeticentropy
Check this out... something to look into!

www.youtube.com...

what. nothing to do with this thread...................:-(

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I always though the volcano under arizona and new mexico where bigger but long long dead. But any volcano is deadly and could kill. I just hope its just some rumbles in WA how long did helan shake before it popped its dome I was a lil young when it happend but it burnt the image in my head of how powerful a volcano can be. Stay safe and keep the SHTF bag ready

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
Wouldnt the super volcano under yellowstone be largest threat to the continental US?
edit on 15-10-2011 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

I edited your post down to stop the "quote within quote within quote" syndrome.

Westcoast is referring to matters of threats in terms of reasonable time scales. Yes, if Yellowstone ever erupts big-time again, it would be catastrophic for a huge region. On the other hand, it's only had three major eruptions in the last couple of million years or so. The next one could theoretically be some time in the near future (say within decades, perhaps), but could just as well be some thousands or even tens of thousands of years from now.

The active volcanoes in the PNW are another matter entirely. It is possible for one of them to enter an eruptive state at literally any time. Several of them have had eruptions within relatively recent history, with Mt St Helens being the most recent, major event. Mt Rainier had eruptions during the second half of the 19th century but prior to then had some pretty major ones that caused huge lahars.

So, it's a matter of how we want to consider things. If you study what's known about Yellowstone (as for example from the YVO), you'll see that while YS is a threat, it is not considered as an immediate one. The PNW volcanoes are a current threat. People in the USA will not need to wait thousands of years beofre one of them erupts in a major way: it's a given that one will. Rainier is the biggest threat because of the huge amount of glacial ice on its slopes and around the peak. If a large amount of that ice melts the lahars will be huge -- just as they have been in the past.

Mike

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by busterbunni

No, the number of quakes in WA lately is not extremely unusual. While they're not as common as down in California they are by no means rare. That's not really what we're concerned about. It's the locations of the quakes.

Even though Rainier gets the odd quake every now and then, and even small quake swarms every few years, whenever they happen it's worth taking note of them because sometimes, such quakes in the vicinity of a volcano can indicate significant magma movement, pressure changes or other volcanic activity. Please note I said "sometimes". But it can also be that it doesn't seem to mean much at all. There are quakes, then nothing else happens. Not right away, anyway. Other times, the quakes are an indicator.

Westcoast is not sounding major alarms here, just letting us know what's going on. If there is a significant increase in quakes around Rainier then we will be looking at it even more closely -- and lots of people on the professional side of things will be doing the same.

So, no panic yet, just studied concern. That's all.
[EDIT: I'm not suggesting that you are panicking, by the way.
Not at all. You asked a fair question in a calm and reasoned way. Just want people to know that right now, there's no need or point in panicking.]

Best regards,

Mike

edit on 15/10/11 by JustMike because: I added an edit, you see.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I can see Mount Rainier from B.C so if she blows, it would be quite a site from here.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
How big is Mt. Rainier, here's a photo of it from Seattle which is more than 50 miles away:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker

Originally posted by collietta
Does any one know if Mt. Rainier is creating a lava dome (I think that's what it's called)? I seem to remember from geology courses, that Mt. St. Helens created a pressure lump on the north side.

On google maps you can see the center of the cone has melted out into a mile or two wide lake. Its been like that for about a year now.

Just zoom in tight with the sat map on.

You're delusional. The top is completely covered in snow. There is no lake. The cone has NOT melted.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
How big is Mt. Rainier, here's a photo of it from Seattle which is more than 50 miles away:

Mount Rainier is about 54 miles SE of Seattle and is just over 14,000 feet tall. It's huge.

I want to emphasise what JustMike said. This about just paying attention for any potential signs....a couple of quakes do NOT mean there is going to be an eruption. If I thought that there was any chance of that, I would be ringing the bells and blowing the whistle in a BIG way. Trust me.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Magnitude 2.9 is quite a thump at = 337kg of TNT below the cone center, usually they are low mag 1's (most volcanos).
Might just be a one off.
Your area, when was the last one or series of them there?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by busterbunni

No, the number of quakes in WA lately is not extremely unusual. While they're not as common as down in California they are by no means rare. That's not really what we're concerned about. It's the locations of the quakes.

Even though Rainier gets the odd quake every now and then, and even small quake swarms every few years, whenever they happen it's worth taking note of them because sometimes, such quakes in the vicinity of a volcano can indicate significant magma movement, pressure changes or other volcanic activity. Please note I said "sometimes". But it can also be that it doesn't seem to mean much at all. There are quakes, then nothing else happens. Not right away, anyway. Other times, the quakes are an indicator.

Westcoast is not sounding major alarms here, just letting us know what's going on. If there is a significant increase in quakes around Rainier then we will be looking at it even more closely -- and lots of people on the professional side of things will be doing the same.

So, no panic yet, just studied concern. That's all.
[EDIT: I'm not suggesting that you are panicking, by the way.
Not at all. You asked a fair question in a calm and reasoned way. Just want people to know that right now, there's no need or point in panicking.]

Best regards,

Mike

edit on 15/10/11 by JustMike because: I added an edit, you see.

So level headed! I am suprised to find such calm and informative information on here based on some other less than polite individuals. I thought it was maybe unusual because my husband was born and raised in WA but he never felt quakes. No panic, just recently begun to pay more attention and was suprised to see WA lit up like that. The quake off of OR struck him as odd and he told me afterwards he had a feeling there would be more so we have been keeping our eyes and ears open.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

HERE are some great images showing the seismicity for the past 10 years. The size of circles indicates the mag...as you can see, there have not been many in the 2 range over the last ten years, and those tend to be spread out around the base, not in the dome. I have seen a few this past year...it was the 3.4 in conjucture (a the base) that got my attention. You don't see them that big, in its seismic zone very often. I can't remember the last time. Time for a USGS search I guess.

ETA: I went ahead and did a search on USGS using the lat/long for the 2.9 smack dab in the middle of the dome. I am still not sure just how the search function works with them...I always get different results. BUT, here is what I got when I searched a 2km radius from the dome:

PDE 1990 07 28 093320.70 46.86 -121.76 0 2.9 MLSEA .F. ....... 0
PDE 1998 10 24 074438.02 46.85 -121.76 1 3.1 MLGS ... ....... 0
PDE 2002 02 19 184229.08 46.87 -121.76 0 3.2 MDSEA ... ....... 1
PDE 2004 11 07 192359.73 46.84 -121.76 1 3.2 MDSEA ... ....... 1
PDE 2007 03 25 014336.81 46.86 -121.75 0 2.7 MDSEA ... ....... 1

Those zeros and ones at the end are the kilometers away from the long/lat I searched, so basically, right in the dome. According to this, there have only been five sizable ones in the past 10 years (not including yesterdays)

source[editby ]edit on 15-10-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

thanks for looking that up, I'm bogged down and getting frustrated trying to get Iceland interactive maps and graphs up and running.

Few and far between eh, so its a pretty quiet volcano compared to some.

I like those cross sections on the maps, shows Rainer has quite a short narrow core (throat?) compared to St Helens and Hood.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

A
small crater lake about 130 by
30 feet (40 by 9.1 m) in size
and 16 feet (5 m ) deep, the
highest in North America with a
surface elevation of 14,203 feet
(4,329 m), occupies the lowest
portion of the west crater
below more than 100 feet
(30 m) of ice and is accessible
only via the caves.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Rainier (doing this from my phone, not sure how it will turn out)

There actually is a lake up there, but probably not the one the poster was referring to. I actually live down in Mt. Rainier's lahar path, which we have the lahar sirens go off the first monday of each month @ 12:00pm. scared the crap out of me the first time I heard it..(side thought here, you would think a mountain blowing up would be a good sign to leave.. no need for a siren).
I told my wife earlier today, I hope the mountain (Mt. Rainier for you non locals) takes our house before the bank does..

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to Isaac (RIP DUSTIN)

While visiting Mt. St. Helens this summer, I learned that those within a 40 mile or so radius of the mountain didn't hear it erupt. Those in Seattle thought they heard a nearby gunshot.
The pressure and heat from the eruption caused the sound to be pushed up and away from the area. If you are within Mt. Rainier's cone of silence, sirens may be the only thing you hear.

Also, if the mountain doesn't decide to erupt, but steam, if you live in a place like Orting, you could be wiped out from the rapid glacial melt. I believe Orting's sirens are set to trigger if a rapid melt occurred.

edit on 16-10-2011 by collietta because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
reply to post by westcoast

Well they got lotsa money to install new regimes around the world and kill people with military might, but funny how there's no money to maintain/upgrade seismos on Rainier. :shk:

Most of those darn stations on the UW network at Rainier are spewing garbage, replete with errors, and need fixing. I can't pull up a single station in GEE at Rainier- and yes I am trying SHZ channels, EHZ, BHZ, you name it. NADA. Zero. "No Data Available"

If it goes into harmonic tremor, or just even volcanic tremor during one of those squiggly spells, how the heck are they going to know? By the gas emissions?

Grrrr. Sorry, but on this one I am blind and cannot alert. Got no GEE at Rainier, so people are going to have to settle for F16's, M1's, and C130's instead. Be happy with the investment decisions your government makes for you, or you will be branded a domestic terrorist.

TA, I have gotten three stations to pull up on GEE;

CC.OBSR
CC.PANH
UW.STAR

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Lets just hope there is no chain effect throughout the cascades
its not only the west coast that would be effected.
Especially in this day and age.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join