It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Imperfect Utopia?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
My question is simple:

Can a Utopia be imperfect?

Please discuss and a few reminders. No one liners. Respect. And if you have a lot to say, if you would like me or any other poster to comment then please DO NOT write in "text blocks." I won't even begin to comment on how annoying it is to see a thread destroyed by rude comments, one word answers and a block of text that makes me go cross eyed.

edit on 14-10-2011 by ImmortalThought because: video

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Perhaps what would make it a perfect world is that the people involved have come to understand that nothing is perfect, and nothing ever will be, and they are truly okay with that.

I personally believe that utopia would be a society with most people being reasonably okay.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ImmortalThought

Well, I can't watch the video, but I believe a real utopia should be imperfect! We were born to live in the wild, and things aren't always perfect there. Imagine feeling pleasure 24/7, wouldn't that kinda suck?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
U·to·pi·a
   [yoo-toh-pee-uh] Show IPA
noun
an imaginary island described in Sir Thomas More's Utopia (1516) as enjoying perfection in law, politics, etc.
( usually lowercase ) an ideal place or state.

By definition an imperfect utopia cannot exist. perhaps, though, something close to a true utopian society will one day evolve. That is a long time in the future.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Or is a Utopia with a flaw or defect?

I tend to take the opinion that a Utopia is as impossible as perfect and anything less of perfect is not a Utopia. This would mean that even the beings within the Utopia must be perfect; all things within the Utopia need to be without flaw. Humans are far from perfect we would not be able to create or live within a Utopia.

I know, I know, some people define Utopia as "ideally perfect." But, how does perfect remain without flaw when someone's ideals are involved? Especially, human ideals. I think then we begin to get something that looks and acts like a Utopia, but is not.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I think it all depends on what the definition of 'perfect', and 'utopia' are to each individual.
Utopias are usually modeled after cultural ideals of a 'heaven', or paradise on Earth.
The old Norse dreamed of Valhalla, battling all day with drinking and women all night. Striving to bring about something like Valhalla as a real place to live in reality just isn't high on my personal list of things to do.

With the diversity of what different peoples ideals would be in consideration of a utopia, i think that any utopia would indeed have to be flexible and imperfect, giving tolerance to several interpretations and ideals.
Sure, it won't be perfect, but, averaging out a utopia would add the benefit and option of exploring options outside one's personal preferences that could be just as good, if not better than those already known.

Will we see a utopia in our time?
I think that only occurs in reality on a very small scale with fabulously wealthy people who are usually keen on keeping out the general populance and riff raff.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Definition of UTOPIA 1 : an imaginary and indefinitely remote place 2 often capitalized : a place of ideal perfection especially in laws, government, and social conditions 3 : an impractical scheme for social improvement

www.merriam-webster.com...

It cannot happen. If it is imperfect it is not utopia. Humans have many flaws--greed, envy, lust, thievery, murder, etc. etc. Humans then cannot create nor maintain a utopia.
Nobody would even be able to agree what utopia is, as everyone will have different ideas of what it shoulkd be.

btw: telling people HOW to respond seems a little too much.

edit on 10/14/2011 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
i really think that the word "perfect" shouldn't be applied to a utopian vision. Perhaps harmonious would be better. everyone living in harmony with each other, and with the environment. flaws make things just as beautiful, and lovable.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

But, can a Utopia contain imperfections?

I think you are correct the world would be better adjusted if we accepted that we are imperfect instead of striving for it and creating many more imperfections along the way.

I am guessing your stance is that we cannot create a Utopia and should stay away from attempts?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MegasAlexandros

As a human being, yes living in a completly perfect world or Utopia it would become boring. But, I think Utopia will NOT contain any humans simply because of our flaw of creating imperfections to simply overcome the "challange."

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

This is the whole idea of an "ideal Utopia." Which I think is flawed simply because not everyone will see perfection in this. In fact I think the only thing that can reside within a true Utopia would be a godlike figure. Humans simply cannot create nor imagine a true Utopia (without defect or flaw).

But we can create "ideal Utopias" which given time will crumble under someone else's interpretation of what is Utopia.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

Definition of UTOPIA 1 : an imaginary and indefinitely remote place 2 often capitalized : a place of ideal perfection especially in laws, government, and social conditions 3 : an impractical scheme for social improvement

It cannot happen. If it is imperfect it is not utopia. Humans have many flaws--greed, envy, lust, thievery, murder, etc. etc. Humans then cannot create nor maintain a utopia.
Nobody would even be able to agree what utopia is, as everyone will have different ideas of what it shoulkd be.

btw: telling people HOW to respond seems a little too much.

I agree and gave you star.

btw: I never said this was a Utopia

I see nothing wrong with asking people to come up with semi-intelligent, respectable, and thought out response. I just see it too often that people who participate begin to answer like this "Godlikeproductions" or something. Just trying to promote a coherent idea. Sorry if that offends you and thanks for taking the time to respond in a intelligent manner.
edit on 14-10-2011 by ImmortalThought because: umpire

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaDreamer
i really think that the word "perfect" shouldn't be applied to a utopian vision. Perhaps harmonious would be better. everyone living in harmony with each other, and with the environment. flaws make things just as beautiful, and lovable.

Can perfection not contain harmony?

I think this is a question of what came first the chicken or the egg. Everyone within a perfect Utopian society would live in harmonious way with eachother and the enviroment.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaDreamer
U·to·pi·a
   [yoo-toh-pee-uh] Show IPA
noun
an imaginary island described in Sir Thomas More's Utopia (1516) as enjoying perfection in law, politics, etc.
( usually lowercase ) an ideal place or state.

By definition an imperfect utopia cannot exist. perhaps, though, something close to a true utopian society will one day evolve. That is a long time in the future.

Yes it can!

It's known as cacotopia or dystopia, which is utopia's antonym.

As to an actual imperfect utopia existing, without it being cacotopia or dystopia, that is also possible, if the imperfection is intentional and no actual harm is being perpetrated.

The Perfection in Imperfection Paradox.

Ribbit

edit on 14-10-2011 by ButtUglyToad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

What if all those Imperfections are intentionally programmed into us?

If the Imperfections are intentional, then this is a utopia.

Ribbit

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ButtUglyToad

Did you read the definition of utopia??

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

btw: I never said this was a Utopia

I know that. I never said you did. I simply answered your question.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
mistakeeeessssssssssssssssssssss happen. Especially in this material world thought to be "ruled" by humans.
edit on 14-10-2011 by ImmortalThought because: replied incorrectly

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

And then added the remark at the end that I should not tell ppl how to respond... that was my response to yours. Is someone a whittle sweepy today?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join