It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outstanding article by Carl Jonsson on the destruction of Jerusalem and 607 BCE - refutation to Jeho

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Outstanding article. I think the JW's are starting to lose tons of patrons and are desperate to clamp down, labeling disfellowshipped individuals as "mentally diseased" and no association by family, etal.

kristenfrihet.se...

WHEN WAS ANCIENT JERUSALEM DESTROYED?”
A critique of the two-part article published in the public editions of The Watchtower of October 1, 2011, Part One, pages 26-31 and The Watchtower of November 1, 2011, Part Two, pages 22-28.

PART ONE
© Carl Olof Jonsson, Göteborg, Sweden, 2011

CONTENTS
An introductory background overview .......................................................................................................... 1
REVIEW OF “WHEN WAS ANCIENT JERUSALEM DESTROYED?” PART ONE. ............................. 3
“Seventy Years”for Whom? ………………………………………………………………………………………….……….4
When did “the Seventy Years” Start? ………………………………………………………………………………………7
When did “the Seventy Years” End? .……………………………………………………………………………… …….9
Classical Historians – How Accurate? – Berossus ...................................................................................... 10
Classical Historians – How Accurate? – The Canon of Ptolemy .…………………………………………………..12
The Canon of Ptolemy and the Uruk King List ..……………………………………………………………………….15
The Conclusion Based on this Evidence …………………………………………………………………………………20
AN INTRODUCTORY BACKGROUND OVERVIEW
In 1977, when I sent a treatise entitled “The Gentile Times Reconsidered” to the Watchtower headquarters, correspondence was started that lasted for three years, from May, 1977 until May, 1980. I finally realized that the leaders were not prepared to let any facts disturb the claim that the Watchtower organization is “God‟s sole channel on earth”, a claim based upon the calculation that “the times of the Gentiles” is a period of 2520 years that started in 607 BCE and ended in 1914. The correspondence is available here: kristenfrihet.se... .
This was confirmed the following year, 1981, when the book “Let Your Kingdom Come” was published. An Appendix on pages 186-189 contained a defense of the Watchtower Society‟s chronology that was clearly directed against my treatise. As a consequence, I wrote a thorough refutation of the Appendix and added it to my treatise, which was published in both English and Swedish in 1983. See The Gentile Times Reconsidered, 4th edition 2004 (hereafter referred to as GTR4), pages 283-307.

The Appendix in “Let Your Kingdom Come” has been the only official defense of the Society‟s chronology published in the Watchtower publications since 1981. But now, after 30 years, the Watchtower leaders have finally decided to break the silence and make another attempt. In the two-part series entitled “When Was Ancient Jerusalem Destroyed?” and published in the public editions of The Watchtower magazine of October 1 and November 1, 2011, the authors try to undermine the enormous burden of evidence against 607 BCE as the date for Nebuchadnezzar‟s destruction of Jerusalem. The articles are claimed to present “thoroughly researched and Bible-based answers to questions that have puzzled some readers.”

During the past decades an increasing number of Jehovah‟s Witnesses have become aware of the Biblical and historical problems with the 607 BCE date. As a consequence...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Following are citations verifying that the correct date for the fall of Jerusalem was not 607 B.C, but 586 B.C.

According to Encyclopedia.com, the Babylonian captivity, is defined as "the period from the fall of Jerusalem (586 B.C.) to the reconstruction in Palestine of a new Jewish state (after 538 B.C.)."
"You will recall that the Babylonians, under Nebuchadnezzar, after twice laying siege to Jerusalem, finally captured it in 586 B.C.E. Nebuchadnezzar's army then pillaged the city, destroying the Temple and sending the inhabitants off to exile in Babylonia. ("Biblical Archaeological Review, Biblical Archaelogical Review).
"...Nebuchadnezzar promptly invaded his unhappy country and besieged Jerusalem for a year and a half. In 587 Jerusalem fell and numbers of its inhabitants were carried away captive to Babylonia..." (Unger, Merrill, F., Unger's Bible Dictionary, Moody Press, Chicago, 1966, page 782).
Notice that the year 587 is offered instead of 586. There is sometimes a difference of opinion as to which year is the exact one. Nevertheless, it is obvious that 607 B.C. is not even close.
"586, Jerusalem destroyed and burned (Jer. 52:13b.); people taken captive (52:28-30). (The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, Eerdmans, Grand Rapids, Michigan, 1982, page 1016)
It is quite clear that the Jehovah's Witness organization is wrong about the 607 B.C. date upon which they place so much of their end times theology. If they are wrong about such a basic event and have not changed their error to match historical fact, how can they be trusted to represent biblical truth? They cannot.

The fact is that they can not change their date of 1914 because they have so much invested in it. They are forced to retain their 607 BC date even though it is in obvious error. To admit they were wrong is to undermine the whole credibility and truth of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. This they cannot do because they are more dedicated to their organization than they are to the truth.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
What can i say?With so many different versions available there may be any number of religions backpedalling soon enough.....
Further querry, who cares?
what does it matter really when the Christ himself tells us not to go there.....nobody knows whats up but the boss.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
What can i say?With so many different versions available there may be any number of religions backpedalling soon enough.....
Further querry, who cares?
what does it matter really when the Christ himself tells us not to go there.....nobody knows whats up but the boss.

I agree on some aspects. Do I believe in religion anymore... no. You are right, though, as far as the religious minded are concerned. Way too many religions thinking they know God and his time frame, yet seemingly that all seem to be pulling rabbits out of their collective asses to justify certian things.

top topics

join