It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Want Immigrant to Provide Upfront Evidence of Fluency in English and French

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
It is a good idea. I work with many Indian gentlemen that learned English in India because they knew when they moved to Canada they would need it to get a job, meet other Canadians and to be able to make informed decisions in day to day life. Without basic English or French different cultures tend to isolate themselves within their own communities and never integrate into the rest of Canadian society. Sure they "get by" by staying within their own pockets of people, but they never really integrate. I find it kind of scary that people who lack the ability to speak English or French are actually allowed to vote in Canada as they are not getting the proper information they need from the source to make informed decisions, but rather second hand within their own communities.

I learned French because lacking it in my vocabulary limited my job choices early on in my career.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko
I find it kind of scary that people who lack the ability to speak English or French are actually allowed to vote in Canada as they are not getting the proper information they need from the source to make informed decisions, but rather second hand within their own communities.

That is a GREAT point Jocko Flocko. I always thought the same. Thank you for bringing that up.

<< 1   >>

join