It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Want Immigrant to Provide Upfront Evidence of Fluency in English and French

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Feds Want Immigrant to Provide Upfront Evidence of Fluency in English and French

www.huffingtonpost.ca

OTTAWA - The federal government wants immigrants to provide upfront evidence that they're fluent in one of Canada's two official languages when they submit citizenship applications.

Ottawa is requesting comments on its proposal to require prospective immigrants to prove they have a Canadian Language Benchmark Level 4, in either English or French.

The proposed regulations aim to strengthen the "integration of newcomers by improving language outcomes and encouraging their full participation in Canadian society," says the notice.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cic.gc.ca

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
As a Canadian, I am on the fence with this new regulation. My parents were immigrants to Canada from Europe (non English) and they came here to escape communism, to come to school and try for a better life in this country. But this was back in the 70's.

I know some immigrants and expats who speak better english or french than some Canadians, lol. But to know both languages in challenging, especially if none of them are your native tongue.

But one of the most frustrating things I see are immigrants who have lived here over 5 years and STILL don't speak a WORD of english! That is so frustrating!

What do you guys think about it? Canadians have 30 days to comment on the new proposed regulations.

www.huffingtonpost.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by InnerTruths

But to know both languages in challenging, especially if none of them are your native tongue.

It's not both. It's one or the other.

The federal government wants immigrants to provide upfront evidence that they're fluent in one of Canada's two official languages when they submit citizenship applications.

I'm fluent in both english and french. English is very easy compared to french or even spanish. English is probably one of the easiest language on earth really.
edit on 14-10-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I am a Canadian with a simillar background, my dad came here without a word of english, and he learned and spoke fluently in a few years, that would not have been possible in his town circa 1950 where everyone spoke italian.

Now in this era I dont think it is impossible to learn english almost anywhere, but it is more accessible in some places and less in others, this should not mean that it can limit someone who has the potential to be a geat future citizen from comming and learning relatively quickly. I dont know any immigrants who didnt learn the language once they were here.

So no I dont agree with this entirely, but I can see the logic behind it.

And about the source, it says one or the other not both, that seems more reasonable.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I think it's a very good idea. And yeah, one or the other - I can read my way through French, but I cannot speak it at all.

I've lived in Vancouver at a time of a lot of East Indian immigrants, and they are a nightmare on the road, and if they can't even read the road signs. :shk:

They've also done a recent study on alzheimer disease, and bilingual people don't have the symtoms as bad, so it also in a round about way, helps our healthcare too

Bilingual kids are supposedly better at math and science, so it also helps to have a well educated country.

I may try to learn another language, it's good for our brains. Probably not French though, maybe Russian or Spanish.....

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
tis is great, the United states should adopt a similar policy. but according to every DMV ive ever been to or automated phone call, it seems more likely the populous will be forced to learn spanish.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnrelentingLurker
tis is great, the United states should adopt a similar policy. but according to every DMV ive ever been to or automated phone call, it seems more likely the populous will be forced to learn spanish.

We do have a policy. But the standard seems kind of weak:

The English test has three components: reading, writing, and speaking. Your ability to speak English will be determined by a USCIS Officer during your eligibility interview on Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. For the reading portion, you must read one out of three sentences correctly. For the writing test, you must write one out of three sentences correctly.

And of course, there are millions of people here who aren't citizens and have no intention of becoming citizens, so they need never learn English.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

What this will do is guarantee that new immigrants are upper class professionals and better educated than most native Canadians - how else would they learn to speak English or French? ...It will also disqualify any refugees without the resources to educate themselves before they apply.

So we send the jobs overseas, or bring in immigrant professionals to do the important work instead of educating our own. Sounds like a plan.

....I don't really know what I think. The situation sucks, overall.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

...It will also disqualify any refugees without the resources to educate themselves before they apply.

Refugees are not classified as "immigrants" in Canada. This will not apply to refugees at all.

And I guess I must of have misread the language thing while I speed read, lol. Go figure.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Glad to hear refugees aren't considered immigrants. But still, sounds like a class thing more than "providing officials and judges with "objective evidence of an applicant's language ability." "

...Not that language ability isn't required, but how can the judgment be objective?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Reading between the lines rough translation : unless your white..wealthy..and christian dont apply for citizenship.
English / French fluency more common among upper class white people. English is one of the hardest languages in the world to learn (and most limited languages..)
have been in many countries where its common to be multi-lingual and everyone is able to communicate just fine. The only thing it does is exclude people who cant speak a certain language when governments start making laws like that along with further dividing people who already live in the country where such practices occur.. English isnt even my native language only time that I use it these days is here on ats.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I love this. Wish they did this in here in the US. Only understandable that you should know the language of the Country you wish to live in.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnrelentingLurker

Not if I have anything to do with it!!
Most immigrants are respectful and learn the language of their adopted Country. With the onslaught of 'illegal' immigration, you see people demanding that we speak their language. If I moved to a Country where my language wasn't spoken, I would have to learn their language out of respect and to better survive. I would never ever demand that they speak my language to accomidate me!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by InnerTruths
But one of the most frustrating things I see are immigrants who have lived here over 5 years and STILL don't speak a WORD of english! That is so frustrating!

You think you are frustrated. There are immigrants who expect the americans to learn spanish, they don't ever intend to learn.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FurvusRexCaeli

And of course, there are millions of people here who aren't citizens and have no intention of becoming citizens, so they need never learn English.

i remember someone who had traveled extensively telling me he was amazed at how he found people who spoke English everywhere.

i said, of course, the people who can't speak English are all in the USA.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea

You think you are frustrated. There are immigrants who expect the americans to learn spanish, they don't ever intend to learn.

There are actualy many companies that 'require' US citizens to speak spanish! One was just a simple factory job and I called them out on it and asked why. There answer: "Because most of our employees speak spanish." In other words I thought to myself, you hired illegals who will work for less and shove American citizens aside. This is where illegal immigration because a huge problem. No American citizen should be forced to learn a foreign language to accomidate people who broke the law and have no desire to become legal citizens.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Why should Americans learn Spanish? Americans live in America, an English speaking country. If you're a Mexican in America and only speak Spanish, why don't you intend to ever learn English?
edit on 15/10/2011 by InnerTruths because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

It's about time. I live in Vancouver, and thanks to our lax immigration policy in the last 15 years or so, it's getting to the point where english or french speaking people are becoming a rarity. I think immigrants should be able to comprehend English or French - and rightly so - as these are the languages of Canada!

By the way, this proposed law is for 'immigrants' - 'citizens' are immigrants who have resided in Canada the required number of years to apply to become 'citizens' - just to clear that up.

Bring it on I say. This is Canada - NOT the UN after all...

edit on 15-10-2011 by jimbo999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Why should Americans learn Spanish? Americans live in America, an English speaking country. If you're a Mexican in America and only speak Spanish, why don't you intend to ever learn English?
edit on 15/10/2011 by InnerTruths because: (no reason given)

Many of the illegals I worked with only spoke english when they felt like it. Many never even try. So many companies cater to their illegals and because there are so many of them, they require others to speak spanish! Nothing like saying that a foreigner is more important than you.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999

It's about time. I live in Vancouver, and thanks to our lax immigration policy in the last 15 years or so, it's getting to the point where english or french speaking people are becoming a rarity. I think immigrants should be able to comprehend English or French - and rightly so - as these are the languages of Canada!

By the way, this proposed law is for 'immigrants' - 'citizens' are immigrants who have resided in Canada the required number of years to apply to become 'citizens' - just to clear that up.

Bring it on I say. This is Canada - NOT the UN after all...

If the main languages spoken are french and english, then that is what should be spoken. I would never move to another Country and expect that Country to speak my language.

<<   2 >>

join