It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States rights? California's Federal Marijuana Crackdown Underway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The feds don't give a damn.

California's Federal Marijuana Crackdown Underway

The Central Valley's marijuana sites are moving out, as federal drug agents move in to clear them.

Last week, federal prosecutors vowed to go after for-profit grows and dispensaries across the state.

The warning: shut down in 45 days or face civil and criminal action.

Federal drug enforcement agents are now delivering on that promise.

If the president was a republican, the Californian governor would be pissed... but now that it's Obama, it's alright.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Wasnt laying off of medical marijuana enforcement one of Obama's promises? I believe he said that this sort of thing was a waste of federal resources back in '08.

It's not a waste now?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Look, I am a medical patient myself but you are not reading the whole story to this. They are only closing 16 dispesaries because of unlawful things such as being in a school zone! They are not goin after anybody but those who break the law!!!!!
This is not a whitch hunt the money the states make from this is unreal! Just today in colorado where I live some 8300 medical marijuana workers are unionizing as we speak!!!! Again they are only enforcing certain law violations against CERTAIN dispensaries.
edit on 14-10-2011 by AllUrChips because: add stuff

edit on 14-10-2011 by AllUrChips because: spellin

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Why don't the protesters go occupy those establishments and run some interference on the feds.
Lets see how the DEA goes about getting through civilians that are protecting their community.

If we are going to do this, we have do it right and not hold anything back. This is the time we need to start standing up to any and every thing that is wrong. Keep our list of complaints growing, add the DEA to the list.
edit on 14-10-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

link   

What!

link   
There are no states anymore, thats why the Fed's can raid anything and not get in trouble.

To bad they are doing this, they sure are shooting themselves in the feet with these actions.

The Fed's get a cut of the taxed Medicine and now they wont since they will shutdown every dispensary in California.

They say its only the ones that are trying to make profit, but lets be realistic, they can say any dispensary is making profit or there is probable cause for a raid.

Say good-bye to one of the best forms of Med's for people.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
10th Amendment whaaaat? What's that?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

What about all the dispensaries that were raided for no reason?

We always here about a raid on a dispensary (every year or so) when there really was no cause for it.

It happens all too much, even if they were excluded from the 16 that were warned it still happens to people it shouldn't.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Since most of the dispensaries are local, what gives the feds jurisdiction?

I thought that the Commerce Clause was the root of federal power, and barring interstate commerce, local law prevailed.

I have suggested that petitions demand the state attorney general and governor be required to uphold state law by arresting the federal attorneys for violating state laws on racketeering and extortion, for isn't that what the federal action boils down to? The dispensaries are legitimate businesses complying with state laws, conducting business solely within state boundaries.

I see no difference between what the feds are doing and organized crime going to a landlord and saying "Nice place you have here, be a shame if anything happened to it. Now about the business you rent to..."

While no fan of Republicans, it does make me point out that Obama is proven a liar:On the campaign trail he promised to not use the Justice Department to attack medical marijuana, if I recall correctly. But then, lies seem to come easily to him: he promised change, then kept the old advisors, policies, and corruption firmly in place.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Here in Jackson County Oregon (The first county in Oregon on Interstate 5) The sheriff and the DEA have been raiding the legal Medical grows here in the county. Our sheriff is so corrupt. If anything he should be protecting these people who grow legally. If for no other reason then that this is the will of the people in Oregon. I really need to run for sheriff.....

We are seeing the feds tottal disregard for states rights in both California and Oregon. We need to keep on top of this. This is a huge 10th amendment issue, and we as people who prefer to run our own lives, and people who know what is best for ourselves need to make sure we keep people honest.
edit on 10/14/2011 by RedBeardRay because: afterthoughts

www.oregonlive.com...
edit on 10/14/2011 by RedBeardRay because: link to story

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Organized gangsters is exactly what the fed is.

The Commerce Clause is a nice polite excuse to point to but the real root of federal power is simply fear and violence.

All laws, restrictions, regulations and words on paper pale to the barrel of a gun and a trillion dollar military/prison complex.

The only reason anyone complies at all with federal demands is out of fear of being killed, having property taken, having your family destroyed.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Well, obviously the kick backs they get from the Mexican cartels must be diminishing, and we can't have that, can we? The federal government can't conduct it's clandestine affairs if it's funding is subject to lawful accountability now can it? Let's see, I seem to recall Obama stating that he would not waste federal funds going after the marijuana issue, and that when he was young, he inhaled, frequently. Also, there's the Fast and Furious fiasco, which has a familiar ring. Can anybody say, "Iran Contras?" Same S*it, different a**hole. More than likely their drug funds are going towards their new "Iranian threat", and don't even get me started on the Afghan opium issue. It seriously boggles the mind.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
this is how to win .every dispensery has a phone tree.
then when there is a hint of a raid,a flashmob forms.
then the mob burns the transportation of the feds and arrest the pigs.take pictures and spread them via youtube,email,frikbook.
this should send the appropriate message.
WE WILL NOT ACCEPT TYRANNY !!!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quickfix
reply to post by AllUrChips

What about all the dispensaries that were raided for no reason?

We always here about a raid on a dispensary (every year or so) when there really was no cause for it.

It happens all too much, even if they were excluded from the 16 that were warned it still happens to people it shouldn't.

Well when you tell me what dispensaries that were raided for "no reason" I will try and answer that. Do you have proof of this?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I just wanted to get this in before the thread disappears.

It would seem that Uncle Sam is a little hypocritical:

For the past three decades, Uncle Sam has been providing a handful of patients with some of the highest grade marijuana around. The program grew out of a 1976 court settlement that created the country's first legal pot smoker.

MSNBC.Com

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Not to be a party pooper but look at this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
aren't they just going after FOR PROFIT collectives? last i heard it was only legal if the collectives where for non-profit.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

This is not about legalizing (the commercial enterprises under discussion are already legal entities), nor is it a discussion of drugs.

It is about commerce, state laws, and extortion and racketeering on the part of the feds.

It is no different than if the feds came down on farmer's markets or any other state-legal business enterprise conducting business solely within state boundaries

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo
Not to be a party pooper but look at this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yeah, topic is not about legalizing, it's about the hypocrisies of the US Government and their horribly laid out and unconstitutional drug policy which only favors Alcohol companies, Tobacco companies, & Big Pharma.

I find it kind of hypocritical (and funny) though that on a post talking about how the discussion of illegal drugs is illegal on this forum, that when you look to the left of the post is a pic of Walter White, now famous Methamphetamine cook of Breaking Bad fame. No biggie though, just thought it was funny.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Because it diverts attention away from the Fast and Furious debacle, which we are now finding out that Obama actually knew about it earlier than what was stated.

The argument people are making is the FEderal government is not enforcing federal laws, and this is the result.

There are 2 great ironies in life...

not getting what you want, and getting exactly what you asked for.

While this is somewhat of a states right issue, there is already established precedence in this arena regarding the authority of the FEderal government to regulate trade.

Im curious what new legal arguments will arise from this to justify both sides.

top topics

join