It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most Influential band of all time

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

I'll bite...

Your thread is subjective. You give no time frame for your proclamation. I can throw a rock out the front door and hit more guitar players who've been influenced by Hendrix.

Don't get me wrong, I love The Ventures, but if I use your logic on who influenced who, it can be argued that The Fireballs were a direct influence on them. Link Wray (already mentioned) was as well. Now who influenced them? You can safely go back to some of the original guitar legends like Carl Perkins, Cliff Gallup, Scotty Moore etc.

Like I said...very subjective. I will also agree that, with no time frame involved, The Beatles have influenced many more bands than The Ventures.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuned Agent

Not subjective but bassed on fact.

The Ventures released their first album in 1960
The Beatles released their first album in 1963

The Ventures were among the first rock acts able to sell albums based on a style and sound without needing hit singles on the albums. These albums are also some of the earliest examples of the concept album in rock music.

Their instrumental virtuosity, experimentation with guitar effects, and unique sound laid the groundwork for innumerable groups, earning them the moniker "The Band that Launched a Thousand Bands"

Their instructional album, Play Guitar with the Ventures, was the first such record to chart on the Billboard Top LPs list, peaking at #96, and taught thousands of budding guitarists how to play the guitar. (1965)

In 2003, Link Wray was ranked at number sixty-seven in Rolling Stone magazine's list of the Hundred Greatest Guitarists of all time, but has yet to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He is, however, a member of the Rockabilly Hall of Fame.
edit on 14-10-2011 by OLD HIPPY DUDE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by underduck

Well if you want the first person to influence music and is responsible for the whole medium of music. I suppose we will have to go back to the first ape to beat on a rock with a steady beat.

OH MY GOD!!! that is hilarious!!!!!
Good reply

edit on 15/10/11 by lektrofellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
George Gershwin
/thread

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
chuck berry hands down. when blues and gospel had a baby chuck passed the praternity test and is the father of rock and roll not to mention bo diddley the who (1rst us tour 1963) cream, jimi hendrix led zeppelin, ministry, skinny puppy tim skold kmfdm, mayhem, burzum darkthrone, necrophagia, electric wizard, black sabbath, morbid angel

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Bill Haley and the Comets.
Provided the Archetypical Rock band setup. Guitar, Bass, Drums, Sax.

Preceded generally by Appalachian Bluegrass, and Rhythm and Blues..So called "black music".

Kind of an evolutionary thing.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

Jeff Cook (Alabama) yep and JC and the chosen few
Robert Johnson

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Probably some black dude I've never heard of.

or one of these guys:
Woody Guthrie
Lead Belly
Robert Johnson
Les Paul

Then again we could look at this the Lemmy way and say "the only reason anyone ever started playing music was the get their hand wet."

In that case Elvis.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I think three artists / bands changed music and society and as a result were the most influential.

First of all there was Elvis Presley.
How many people were inspired to take up music themselves after seeing and listening to him?
His style influenced a whole generation and his impact on society as a whole is immeasurable.

A few years later The Beatles burst on to the scene.
They were at the vanguard of the British music scene and their style and attitude permeated into the very fabric of society.

And a few years later The Sex Pistols and Punk with it's do-it-yourself attitude stuck two fingers up at everything that went before them.
Again, they not only influnced music but they also helped change society itself.

I'm not saying that any of them were the first or the best at what they did.
But they were the one's that made such a lasting impact on both the music scene and industry and society as a whole.

Despite what some might think I don't think anyone since has had such an overall impact and influence.
There are probably a multitude of reasons for this.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join