It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama orders U.S. troops to help chase down African 'army' leader

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Obama orders U.S. troops to help chase down African 'army' leader

www.cnn.com

President Barack Obama is sending about 100 U.S. troops to Africa to help hunt down the leaders of the notoriously violent Lord's Resistance Army.
"I have authorized a small number of combat-equipped U.S. forces to deploy to central Africa to provide assistance to regional forces that are working toward the removal of Joseph Kony from the battlefield," Obama said in letter to House Speaker John Boehner and Daniel Inouye, the president pro tempore of the Senate. Kony is the head of the Lord's Resistance Army.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com
www.voanews.com
www.reuters.com

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Here's more info on the group that Kony is the leader of:

The Lord's Resistance Army (LRA)

The Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), led by Joseph Kony, operated in the north from bases in southern Sudan. The LRA committed numerous abuses and atrocities, including the abduction, rape, maiming, and killing of civilians, including children. In addition to destabilizing northern Uganda from bases in Sudan, the LRA congregated in the Bunia area in eastern Congo. They linked up with the Army for the Liberation of Rwanda (ALIR) and other rebel groups that were battling with forces from the Rally for Congolese Democracy (RCD).

The Wiki for the group claims that the LRA is on the list of terror organizations but it doesn't jive with the list ?

The President says the goal is to help target Kony and his key leaders, but says the US forces will not engage unless in self defense.

Why send the troops? Why not an SF group, and send one of the drones in if their goal is to eliminate Kony? It's not like he hasn't used drones before?

Is there anything else going on that would require boots on the ground?

Need more time to absorb this one, since I am not totally familiar with this group, nor the history..

Hopefully one of our fine members is able to clear this one up

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Just heard on FNC that this is a Special Forces unit, and that they are being called advisors..

Where have I heard that before?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Holy crap! I'm really starting to think Obama loves war. It must be his goal to be in the most wars of any President in history. Africa now!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
This seems like a rather odd move.

Now, it's nothing odd for us to be sending special forces and what-not into various embattled locations around the globe. What -is- odd is announcing it.

Further, this sounds much like how we were going to go in and "coach" the South Vietnamese.... when we should have either ignored it or gone in as a direct military action from the beginning.

And why it has to be public knowledge... I don't really know. Special Ops types are deployed... quite frequently (not wise to throw around some of the percentages I've heard) - pissing in someone's cornflakes.

It's just... an odd move.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Well here it goes again. 911 USA. This guy is doing everything he can to divert attention from all the problems right here at home. Holder Cover up. Solyndra cover up.etc. I am sure if we dig deep enough we will find there has already been troops on the ground there and the announcement just happened to help counter all the negative things happening at home. [just my take but then it is a conspiracy site]
Is this guy for real? Does he really think we are that stupid?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

No he is that stupid. He is so full of himself he doesn't care if we know they are a bunch of blood thirsty criminals. He has the attitude I do what I want and what is anyone going to do about it.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Why send the troops? Why not an SF group, and send one of the drones in if their goal is to eliminate Kony? It's not like he hasn't used drones before?

Is there anything else going on that would require boots on the ground?

I cannot say for sure, but if they are in the area south of Sudan. When I look at a map I see trees, could the tree cover be such that the drones could have difficulty seeing through the tree canopy.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidsHope
Well here it goes again. 911 USA. This guy is doing everything he can to divert attention from all the problems right here at home. Holder Cover up. Solyndra cover up.etc. I am sure if we dig deep enough we will find there has already been troops on the ground there and the announcement just happened to help counter all the negative things happening at home. [just my take but then it is a conspiracy site]
Is this guy for real? Does he really think we are that stupid?

Attack Obama if you want but he is doing just what he has been told by the military. Obama is just the mouth piece for the Council of 9. The real puppet masters and controllers behind the scene.
It's easy to make Obama the scapegoat for blood rituals being performed by shadows and thieves.

It's complicated....and nothing is as it seems on the surface.
edit on 14-10-2011 by whaaa because: code blu9

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Just saw this on the news..

Sure Obama is AGAINST THE WARS

If anyone says Obama is against wars
is a moron...

It is THERE problem not ours.

WHY ARE WE SPENDING MORE MONEY
ON YET ANOTHER MILITARY EXPEDITER????

These people make me sick!!

Good catch OP

I am sure I am NOT the only one outraged over this crap..

We ARE NOT forgetting about FAST AND FURIOUS NICE TRY BARRY!!!
edit on 14-10-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Hmmm, lets see here....Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia....and now some place in Central Africa?

My memory isnt all too well at the moment, but when was the last time this guy launched an assault on the United States? (I cant think of a time at the moment)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

At least it's only 100 troops. I'm no military strategist, but I think that's how the hunting down of those (supposedly) responsible for 9/11 should have been handled. No all out invasion of thousands of troops setting up camp all over the place, just a couple dozen guys who can get the job done and call it a night.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Why boots on the ground?
It's the only way to ensure casualties of our own troops.
We are stretching our military capabilities way too thin.
Libya, Mexico, Sudan, it's starting to read more like a oil field itinerary.
Purely coincidental, I'm sure.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I'm afraid if he is going to run through different countries in Africa.

US will have to occupy those countries one by one to find him and kill him like they killed OBL.

Oh wait , He went to Asia .

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
its always the same argument.

person 1: we have no business meddling in the affairs of other nations

person 2: oh, but its morally right, these are bad people. dont you think its a good thing to take out bad people?

when will it end?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I cannot say for sure, but if they are in the area south of Sudan. When I look at a map I see trees, could the tree cover be such that the drones could have difficulty seeing through the tree canopy.

I hear they can't see through hospitals/schools/civilian residences....
but that hasn't stopped them before from obliterating them.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Id be willing to bet these will be some pretty well drilled troops....maybe delta or other special guys......
They dont really say....The logistics and support guys may well ave a predator in the mix...i doubt they like to advertise the deployment of such if they dont have to....
It only makes sense though...
The boots on the ground may be the most highly trained ones they can muster...its a unique opportunity for a few select troops to reconoitre and experience the African situation and country first hand.
We very well may be sending many more of our boys over there sooner than we think.....

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

What geographical area of Africa is this? Any strategic benefit to coincide with a strike on Iran? Is this area where we are "helping" or "advising" accidentally along an aerial route or within striking distance of anything significant?

I absolutely do not believe they are sending in 100 Special Forces just to actually do some good and help out in Africa where we really are needed for a change. This has to be a primary target in some other war with bigger economic implications.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Attack Obama if you want but he is doing just what he has been told by the military. Obama is just the mouth piece for the Council of 9. The real puppet masters and controllers behind the scene.
It's easy to make Obama the scapegoat for blood rituals being performed by shadows.

[snip]

The Obama administration is simply incompetent. Look at his cabinet - Holder should just set himself on fire and jump out the window, Nopalitano should admit she has no clue what is going on and resign - not to mention the positions have been a revolving door.

Then you have his czars (The man is at least aware he doesn't know what he's doing... unfortunately he thinks he should still have a say in how it's done).

History will not be kind to Obama - and it's not because of any "shadow conspiracy." The man is a narcissistic extremist without a clue in the world.
edit on 15/10/11 by masqua because: Removed personal attacky kind of pic

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I have no comment on Obama being a war monger as im not American.

What i will say is check out the LRA and the sorts of acts they perpetrate. They are responsible for some of the most abhorent acts in recent human history. In my mind its fair play to go after this particular bunch

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join