It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question to ATS LEO members: where do you stand now on OWS?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
reply to post by BioSafe

Glad to hear it.

It sounds like when the protests arrive in your city, we won't be seeing any of the brutality exhibited in others.

For that I'm grateful, and am proud to call you a fellow citizen.

Apacheman.

I’ve been in this business for probably to many years now. Been around the block a few times, and know my way around a baton . Its experience that teaches you that violence begets violence. Knowledge is the great diffuser.

Just be careful what you wish to believe by watching video clips of cops beating protesters. These are just clips and usually show one half of the equation. Being a cop in a demonstration or riot is not a cake walk and is physically and mentally draining on the LEO’S. Protesters have time to rest, plan and execute their actions. The cops on the street in these scenarios can only react and do not have the luxury of prior knowledge or intent of individual demonstrators.

Being familiar with some of your prior threads and posts I have the impression that you are a discerning individual, I do not worry about your interpretation of LEO’s but I am concerned about others who paint all LEO’s with a very wide and negative brush. Most of us are good folk. And believe it or not most of us are feed up with the system and some of us are willing to drop the badge and pick up a pitch fork.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
What I want to know of LEO is a bit different - I want to know why you don't investigate and go after the wall street crooks that were swapping mortgages around on excel spread sheets.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

That my dear that is above our pay grade. remember we are just the pawns. Most of our work as a LEO is at the street level. Money and power takes care of money and power.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by BioSafe

I try hard to place myself in other people's perspectives to better understand what they do and why they do it.

Understanding doe not always mean excusing, though.

The mantra of "we don't know what happened before the video..." must be applied both ways. Police seem always to interpret that in their favor, i.e., that the police were innocently minding their own business, just being professional, doing their jobs when an unrecorded behavior provoked the response seen that puts them in a bad light. Could it be that the unrecorded bit might also show that they instigated and escalated an innocent behavior into something that justified brutality and illegality upon their part? If you are honest,the answer must be yes.

There are too many videos showing too much unthinking "enforcement" against people who are justly angry with being screwed by the corporate world while their government aids and abets the the criminals who perpetrate fraud, degrade the environment, and corrupt the justice and legal systems of our nation. In the end that excuse simply won't wash in the face of the hundreds and thousands of candid images caught by people who are simply trying to make their voices heard and get their needs met.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you and your fellow officers swore an oath to protect the people you serve.

It seems appropriate to ask at this juncture for you guys to be a little more explicit about the definition of the "people you serve". Is it us, the common folk who try to earn an honest living, or is it they who gamble our savings, loot our treasury, and send our jobs overseas so they can enjoy bigger bonuses and more wealth than they can possibly use?

I don't care which side you fall on, but it is time to choose and declare openly which you uphold and defend. I can tolerate an honest opponent. I despise those who play both sides against the middle and pretend to a neutrality they don't honestly have.

The system is patently screwed and failing. The OWS protesters are trying, peacefully, for the most part, to rectify it. Given the way the ruling parties behave and think, they will ignore just protests and attempt to ride it out behind the protective wall of you and your fellow LEOs. Sooner or later they will order you to use violence to control the protests. This time, that strategy will fail because things have already gone far too far. As you said, violence begets violence, and the kind that looms in the wings is too horrific to be allowed. Without your full cooperation, the "ignore it and ride it out" strategy can't work, and reforms must be made.

You must decide:

Exactly whose side are you on?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
LEO = Law Enforcement Officer.

Im curious as well, to see how many seasoned LEO's can HONESTLY say they have never ever witnessed a fellow officer breaking the law.

Any Law, from running a stoplight with lights blaring for no official reason to unauthorized speeding or worse.
And if you did witness this did you in fact address the situation exactly like you would address a civilian committing the exact same offense?

Im not trying to bait anyone, I would just like these LEO's to think about this before they claim to be such great protectors of our rights.

Be honest with yourself....or don't answer.

Ive worked with many LEO depts in my past professional life( not as a LEO but in equipment sales and instruction), and I have personally found that overhwelmingly LEO's that I have worked with will turn a blind eye on fellow officers committing offenses unless they are also at risk of repercussions.
The "Blue Wall Of Silence" is very real.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I am not a law enforcment officer but will contribute my thoughts
thay are in very tough spot. im shur by now a good portion of the police officers are starting to question things around them the system evrything.
some footage from OWS and other demonstations. ther are moments when you can see the despair and distresed look of empathy and almost a hopeless look in ther eyes.
if this momvment has done anything at all i think it has made alota officers question ther own moral constitustion.
dare i even say maybe just mayber thay feel a little bit closer with the demonstaters
we are all one

edit on 16-10-2011 by jplaysguitar because: speeling

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join