It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clearing up some confusion on service to others and service to self.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I first hear about service to others (STO) and service to self (STS) in a book called "The Law of One".

This book is also where I first heard about oneness. After reading this book, I didn't really understand it much, but as time progressed and experiences presented themselves to me, I was able to refer to the book and associate my experiences with what I read, and it all started to make more sense. There are still some things in that book that I don't have much of an understanding of, but the beauty of it is, that as time progresses, more and more of it seems factual.

I have been an "observer of oneness" for some time now, and I am still learning more and more about it. My newest realization has to do with service. I would like to share that with you all.

For me, the misconception was that to serve others meant I had to physically do something for other people. Then, I realized that this was not the way service to others is done from a standpoint of oneness. From a standpoint of oneness, if you are being served, then you are also serving others. So the key here is allowing others to serve you as well as serving others yourself.

This means that service to self is largely the action of denying others to serve you, as well as focusing on your own works.

Everything serves and every service is some form of learning experience. So if you want to be of service to others, all you have to do is let others teach you, and when the time comes teach others. Do not deny the lessons that are presenting themselves to you and do not withhold. Be open. That is the definition of service in the eyes of oneness.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I meant to post this in philosophy and metaphysics. Mods help please.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
In both instances, serving and receiving of service, we are allowing a bit of ourselves to be merged with another self.

Just another way of think about it.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

I love watching your threads because I can actually "see" and or witness you grow and it is a lovely sight to say the least.

Keep searching and learning ( I am as well) .....it is not only fun but growth is a need, for the next existence had by you, may not be as difficult as this one..... if it was at all.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

I agree, and it's said that the end of growth is the beginning of death.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by visualmiscreant
reply to post by MamaJ

I have never heard this saying. Please clarify your meaning of death? What dies?

There is an eternity of growth.... each cause creates a ripple of effects and upon these effects is knowledge to be learned. There is a sense always.....never a death of nothingness and or void.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Everything is energy. Energy is the ability to do work. That makes service our most prime function. So we have two forms of service. We can serve others or serve ourselves.

The entire planet is energy and is what we are. Some of us withhold service and the energy does not flow freely. These energy blocks corrupting the flow cause turmoil. An STO oriented being would not block energy. All is one. To be served is to serve. To serve is to be served. To withhold service is deadly.

So imagine the whole world allowing the energy to flow. Imagine what we would accomplish, and how much better our lives would be. More than that, wouldn't the energy intensify? As the rate of work being done increases, the ability to do work would also increase. We would feel more alive than ever at an increasing rate. All because we each serve and allow service.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by visualmiscreant
reply to post by MamaJ

I can relate to this. To serve others is to grow. To serve self is to die.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

I believe this to be true, as, if you deny the service of others, you are denying them the chance to grow and the good feeling that You experience when You serve others. You're making them feel not needed, not useful, not appreciated, not a part of the oneness. However, I also believe it is important for everybody, including you, to serve others. Physically, mantally, spiritually, any way you can. You just have to possess the wisdom to discern what type of service is needed. Some will be best served by doing nothing physical other than the utterance of some helpful words. Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime... Others might be served best by physically showing them a prime example of how they ought to behave in order to grow in the way they need to grow. This could involve some intense physical activity, or labor. And could last days or weeks. And some people may be best served by allowing them to serve you, to show them that they have something worthwhile to share with the world, with the oneness.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ZackMorris

I agree.

I think energy would be best described as intelligent energy. The highest form of work to be done then is teaching, like you said. Intelligent energy takes energy, and makes it more efficient.

To what end?

Even mental action is energy. Its important to conserve energy. If everyone concentrated all of their energy into service to others energy, I believe the intelligence would shift into a higher form in order to keep up with the intense demand for energy. Do you all kind of see what I mean?

new topics

top topics

join