It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man moves multi-ton blocks. How Stonehenge was made?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The mystery of Stonehenge may have been solved by a man whose been moving blocks a few years now.

No aliens. No advanced technology. Just good old fashioned physics and applied intellect.

So. Can we say that mankind can do extraordinary things with some time and thinking?

www.dump.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

This has been posted numerous times.

I'm surprised you haven't seen it on here before.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
That's pretty cool, but I wonder what the success rate would be without having a flat concrete area to move it. I'd like to see that technique used across dirt, rivers, mud, etc. I like the jack method he's using. That seem very plausible, except, of course, they didn't have power saws and 2x4's to build the frames. I suppose it could be done with ropes and tree trunks, rather than nails/screws and precision cut wood to build the frames.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
He's worked out how to stand the stone but that was never the issue. The big problem is how they a) quarried them (the conceopt of fire and water cracking is hilarious) and b) transported them hundreds of miles across bogs, hills and forest (various universities have tried on modern roads with much smaller blocks and they all end up crushing the wood rollers.
Wally's system would require another 75 tonne block of stone underneath the 75 tonne block of stone they intend to move just to hold the pebble he uses as a fulcrum or pivot.
Keep trying Wally....

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

I think its very likely that this type of method was used. It also gives me some ideas... I need a shed moved and up until now I was thinking some kind of rollers would be my best bet. Now I'm thinking his method might be the ticket.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Aestheteka

The use of fire and water to crack large pieces of stone is most certainly not ridiculous. It has been the prefered moethod of quarrying up until the 19th century and its use by the Romans, for example, is well documented.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I don't think this method was used in other structures. I think Edward Leedskalnin, the creator of Coral Castle might have had a better insight on the building methods used in the past. However I'm still stumped on how many structures were quarried, many miles away as another poster suggested.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It has been posted several times but fascinating nonetheless.

My question is, have any tools of similar use, been found near any sites? To confirm forgotten technology?

If historians haven't responded to this, it may be the reason why.

As for moving the block for miles, he should how he got a block to roll, it wouldnt be unfeasible to have people run those ladders along instead of rollers.
edit on 14-10-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Amazing what one man can do...imagine what 3,000 could accomplish.

On another note, it is inspiring to see a passion come to fruition. Too many of us have lost that spark.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Wouldn’t standing stone hedge up with this theory mean dropping them into a pit and then digging out the dirt around them? I figured any could dig a whole under one side and let it slide in but stone hedge seems to sit above ground.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

I am not a stongehenge expert but I do believe that the blocks are in the ground.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Why do people have this need to point out that something has been posted before? Is ATS running out of server space, or what? In every thread that I have seen where people say, "This has been posted a 100 times already. Use the search, idiot, moron, you suck at teh interwebs!!111!!" I had not yet seen that thread, every single time! Usually when something is posted multiple times it is because it is either a "big" story, or it is interesting. Personally, I don't watch every forum and I don't sit here all day watching every thread. So, I appreciate the people who post redundant threads.

There was one a couple of days ago where people were beating someone up for reposting. "Why didn't you use the search?" blah blah blah. So, I decided to pretend that I was going to post that message, but wanted to make sure it had not been posted. I searched but could not find the previous threads. So, geniuses, if you want to bitch about multple threads, how about you come up with a comprehensive search method, or STFU?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
That is interesting.

I have a couple questions though, if anyone feels like trying to answer them.

• The video shows him moving the 30' X 40' barn, but how did he lift it up to begin with? When they first mention that particular method, he is using small stones. I couldn't actually tell what he was using for the barn, but I think it was wood. Regardless of what it is though, how did he get it under there by himself? Have to somehow lift that barn first, and then what... crawl underneath it, and 'eyeball' where the center?? doubtful....

Also
  • I applaud his efforts of not using any modern tools, but why not keep that same rule applied to everything that is used? The people that built Stonehenge, did they have water hoses, and plastic 5 gallon buckets?

• posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:23 AM
    link   
    That was awesome I knew Stonehenge would be cracked someday. It makes the Pagans that worship false gods who like to run around Stonehenge during Solstice look a little silly now ah?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:29 AM
    link   
    reply to post by SirMike

Not with 75 tonne blocks from a cliff face. I'll try and find the video to show the attempt. Basically, it breaks under its own weight when it drops.
    It was either Cambridge or Oxford who tried with a 5 tonne block (and tried rolling it). I agree that Wally has found a way to pivot and plant the stones but the geography of the landscape stone age man had to traverse precludes such a method unless they had a solid stone base underfoot. Massive blocks of stone would just sink - plus how do you get them up hills and through forests? One theory is that they were shipped - on log canoes or skin coracles?
    The best way to settle this argument would be if Wally starts from scratch in a mountain range several hundred miles from where he lives and, using only fire, water, stone and wood (no metal implements to make the blocks, only flint), shapes the stones and then moves them through a natural landsape (no fields, no roads) and THEN plants them.
    And then I'll believe it.
    Every year there is a new explanation for Stone Henge. Go visit the place and you'll begin to have doubts on that one

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:33 AM
    link   

Originally posted by Aestheteka
    He's worked out how to stand the stone but that was never the issue. The big problem is how they a) quarried them (the conceopt of fire and water cracking is hilarious) and b) transported them hundreds of miles across bogs, hills and forest (various universities have tried on modern roads with much smaller blocks and they all end up crushing the wood rollers.
    Wally's system would require another 75 tonne block of stone underneath the 75 tonne block of stone they intend to move just to hold the pebble he uses as a fulcrum or pivot.
    Keep trying Wally....

Just because YOU do not know how it was done
    does not make it impossible.

You people act like even thousands of years ago man was not man..

The geniuses of our time figured out how to make atomic bombs, the geniuses of their time
    figured out how to move massive stones and build pyramids...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:39 AM
    link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

Originally posted by Aestheteka
    Keep trying Wally....

Just because YOU do not know how it was done
    does not make it impossible.

You people act like even thousands of years ago man was not man..

The geniuses of our time figured out how to make atomic bombs, the geniuses of their time
    figured out how to move massive stones and build pyramids...

Yes, and along those same lines...people were just as smart back then as they are today. The only thing that has changed is technology. Humans have not changed in many, many thousands of years.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:49 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Aestheteka

Interesting, I'd love to see the video if you can dig it up.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:26 PM
    link   
    It's extremely important to remember that the people who built stonehenge didn't have access to band saws and belt sanders and that their wood was hewn from trees with flint axes.
    A similar method to Wally's (taking it up a few notches) was tried by Exeter University - Stonehenge builders 'used ball bearings to move giant slabs of stone into position' Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Just working the stones would have required an estimated 20 million man hours. The're not limestone (which the Egyptians used)

For me, the best possible realistic argument is that the stones were deposited on Salisbury Plain via glacial movement and then moved relatively short distances. This still doesn't explain how the stones were worked though...
    Or why

or why the builders then gave up on such incredible engineering feats and went back to living in dirt hovels for the next several thousand years

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:08 PM
    link   
    I love how some people see this video and immediately think. "Well that answers that, no aliens" as if one explanation disregards all other theories. You think all the people that study ancient alien theory and egyptian building practices wasted years and years of research and still haven't come up with a conclusion only to have some guy solve it in a day and that explains everything? No, it's one idea, and that doesn't mean that is the exact method ancient egyptians used nor does it prove aliens don't exist. You simply jump on anything to try and discredit what you don't believe to be the truth.

Far smarter men than you are still stumped by the pyramids and other structures. Don't think this solves anything because it doesn't.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join