It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unhealthy obsession with Apple products

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
From an actual Facebook posting :

After waiting four hours in line......I finally have my new iPhone 4S

Reply number one:

Jealous... I'm not leaving for work until 10am CDT just in case mine arrives (UPS/FedEx)

My Reply:

Really? All that for a Phone?

Replier number one:

waiting in line in fun. There's alot of comraderie and you meet lots of people.

My second comment:

Waiting in line is fun? .............sorry my brain just punched me in the stomach..........Still just a phone. Slightly faster than the one you have. I meet people everyday without waiting hours to get a phone or not going to work in hopes of it coming in the mail. Steve Jobs was great at making people think they were inferior if they didnt have his latest gadget. Jobs is now dead. Apple lovers stop falling all over yourselves about it. He was just another greedy CEO. Yes Apple does make decent products. Made in 3rd world countries with child labor, unsafe factories while making $2 a day. Do you choose to ignore all the suicides in their Chinese factories? Yeah he was a wonderful man who instead of improving work conditions in these factories, hung giant nets in and outsideof those factories in hopes of stopping the suicides. Thank you for your humanity Steve. Thank you for create a whole sect of people who think their phone defines them as a man.

I was quickly removed from both friends lists. That didnt bother me but what does it that there are millions more like them. I am dumbfounded at people these days.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It’s the consumption motivated masses. people are willing to pay hand over fist to get the latest and greatest when the phone they bought 9 months ago works just fine. This is why familys are poor. your on food stamps and cant turn the heat on in the winter but you just happen to have the money to buy an Iphone 5. we are shown that if you dont have the latest gadget your an out cast.
edit on 14-10-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Now that you've all waited in line for 8 hours to get your new iPhone, you can return to your protests on Wall Street where you try to stick to the corporate beasts.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Each generation of Americans gets more and more idiotic. When my 19 year old was shopping for a new phone a couple of months ago, she went gaga over all the fancy Apple phones.....until she saw the prices. She works as a dental assistant and I told her that she would have to buy the phone herself. This is called being an adult.

I encouraged her to look at used phones and older technology. No, it's not the latest iPhone that all the hypnotized masses are drooling over. But, does it do what you need for it to do? Talk? Text? Internet?

She settled on a used one for $25. I believe she has reached an understanding that newer does not equal better, and she would rather have that extra money in her wallet than give it to Apple. She has given corporate greed the middle finger. As her radical mother, I couldn't be prouder!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I was starting think logic had left the planet. I do wonder how many protesters left to hit up the Apple store this morning. I bet they'd have a ready excuse of something like needing to stay connected to wake more people up.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Its been marketed so well, its become the new Nike, over priced over rated fashion accessory, i still can't believe the fuss made over that steve jobs death, he never cured cancer, or stop a war, or changed a ideology for the better of mankind, etc etc, but yet he was made out to be the greatest hero the world has ever seen, the man had more money then he could spend in 50 life times, but only used it, to push apple consumerism.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by leemachino

I would've removed you too. Their talking about a phone, and you go from that to talking about suicides. News flash : Facebook isn't ATS. Its not like your going to stop them anyway, they're going to do what they want, and when the next one comes out they're going to go stand in line for that one too. Labeling people "greedy" because of their success is wrong.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
What people do with their money and what products they love are none of your business. If they want to buy a new Iphone- then that's their problem. Not yours.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
LMAO, its quite easy to see who owns a I-Phone in this thread ?

I'm a blackberry man.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by leemachino
I was quickly removed from both friends lists.

I genuinely LOLed at this, and I rarely do that at a forum comment (although I won't go as far as to pretend to have 'sprayed [insert horrific fizzy drink brand] over my keyboard')...sorry I wasn't laughing at your having 'lost' a couple of friends, just at their stroppy reaction...how DARE YOU point out anything negative about Apple!

I agree with every word of your response anyway.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandettas

His success was built on th backs of others. Apple people go overboard in pushing that their stuff is better. That's what I'm pointing out. He was no great philanthropist and yet they deify him. He put his business before his family. Greedy, simply put. Yes I brought up suicides in his factories because he didn't move to improve working conditions. Enjoy your new iphone.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
What people do with their money and what products they love are none of your business. If they want to buy a new Iphone- then that's their problem. Not yours.

Yet they make it everyones business by broadcasting how awesome it is to wait in line for hours for their new supercool way better than yours Apple stuff. I didn't really see it as my problem as more of a society trend of self importance. I simply wanted to point out the absurdity of it all.
Does it hit a little too close to home for for you?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Almost everybody I know who owns an Apple, phone mind you, says they're the biggest pieces of crap you can buy.

Just looking at all those drones standing in line to get the new one is nauseating.

Peace

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Does it hit a little too close to home for for you?

Not in the least. I dont even own a cellphone and my house phone doesnt even have caller ID.

Stop whining because someone other than yourself likes new technology.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

drones standing in line to get the new one is nauseating.

Yes, because when people get excited for products they like they are "drones".

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

I don't mind people liking new technology when it comes to phones, but the need to have it just to have it, and that it's got some super-cool new feature is not justification for a phone that cuts off half the time (in my experience) and costs a fortune. My whole immediate family has one, except for me, and you're talking to them, and then you realize the call was cut off four minutes ago.

Then you can't remember what the hell you've been saying for the last four minutes.

And save the "maybe they hung up on you" jokes.

Peace

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

For someone who claims he/she doesn't even own a mobile, you sure seem very defensive about it !

I bet your one of those that camps out at night, to get the latest Xbox game or something, because you seem hurt, by the standing inline drones comment ?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
See, Apple products emit an alpha wave transmission whenever they come up with a new product. What happens is, it stimulates the desire center of the brain and it gets enhanced whenever a commercial or news announcement about the new product goes on the air.

It's not these people's fault, Apple just has them conditioned to be susceptible to the desire/reward center of their cerebral cortex.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

For someone who claims he/she doesn't even own a mobile, you sure seem very defensive about it !

I am being defensive because you are criticizing people you do not know. Judging them because they like new phones. And acting like your somehow better because of that.

I bet your one of those that camps out at night, to get the latest Xbox game or something, because you seem hurt, by the standing inline drones comment ?

No i dont stand in lines waiting for releases of ANYTHING. Even if i did, so what? Say something degrading.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

My observations and research into Jobs' empire opened up a whole new idea of the man. I am just very glad he wasn't king of America. From what I can gather on him he was somewhat less than kind and considerate.
His work is good but as you said, now he is gone.
I don't use iphones, ipads etc. not at all. I do have a smart phone but it is windows based. If I could make it Linux based I would do so. I am even moving over to Ubuntu / Linux on my computer systems save for an old one that I need to run critical windows based software on that Ubuntu cannot support. Nor windoes 7.

did anyone notice? Apple? their apple has a bite taken out of it....does anyone know why?
.....He has taken a bite out of everyone that covets his products. Now what do you do with an apple after you bite it?
You chew on it of course, then you swallow it.. it gets digested and comes out the other end ..very well digested and good for little else than recycling. This was his intention from the start..to take a bite out of every one you and then have it all end up garbage so he could take yet another bite. Same with Microsoft. etc. We have this big problem with technology. It keeps taking a big bite out of us.
...It is an addiction and an obsession.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join