It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare "Cyclops" Shark Found

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
This seems to just be a simple birth defect, and there have been none captured live according to the article, suggesting that the sharks do not survive this defect.

Interesting to see nonetheless.

news.nationalgeographic.com

Talk about a one-of-a-kind discovery—an extremely rare cyclops shark (pictured) has been confirmed in Mexico, new research shows.

The 22-inch-long (56-centimeter-long) fetus has a single, functioning eye at the front of its head—the hallmark of a congenital condition called cyclopia, which occurs in several animal species, including humans.

Earlier this year fisher Enrique Lucero León legally caught a pregnant dusky shark near Cerralvo Island (see map) in the Gulf of California. When León cut open his catch, he found the odd-looking male embryo along with its nine normal siblings. "He said, That's incredible—wow," said biologist Felipe Galván-Magaña, of the Interdisciplinary Center of Marine Sciences in La Paz, Mexico.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

There was a thread awhile back, about one of these, but not the same pictures, and probably not the same shark.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

DaveSpanners post, gives a couple different links, for these sites:
izismile.com...

The cyclops shark was an unborn pup that was removed from a large female bull shark, Carcharhinus leucas, captured off of Mexico in the Sea of Cortez. Even though the photo of the cyclops shark is totally real and confirmed by scientists who have seen the shark pup, there’s a natural tendency to dismiss the photo as an excellent photoshopping job. But it isn’t.

Unfortunately the cyclops shark fetus was already dead by the time it was removed from its large female bull shark mother.

Reefbuilders

ETA:
The details given in the 'NatGeo' article, and the details in the 'Reefbuilders' article, are not all the same, but it does seem to be the same general area. NatGeo says that one is a 'Dusky Shark,' while the other says it is a 'Bull Shark.'

They look the same to me. Interesting lil fellas anyways.

edit on 10/14/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Although this could happen in a natural healthy environment , the odds of that are lower than the odds of it being due to pollution causing the genetic defects.

And if we are in Vegas, you know where I am putting my money.

All of the oceans and lakes and rivers are polluted by now, so unless you can open a porthole to the Earth Dimension where we don't pollute at all and show me stuff like this happens over there, you will have a very hard time convincing me this isn't at least partially perpetuated by our mass-ocean dumping practices.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Keep in mind that it is an unborn fetus.

All life forms begin with a forming process. The forming process can even continue after the birth. I'm not saying that these are normal. On the other hand, I also do not personally know that these are not normal.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Another 1
If ALL could only see what is rowing in the sea effected by oil coritex and radiation. Sad part is whos fault is it?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Wow! Take a look at that first pic:

Looks alarmingly like... well, just look:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
no no pollution only adds eyes, like in Simpsons

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Cyclopia (also cyclocephaly or synophthalmia) is a rare form of holoprosencephaly and is a congenital disorder (birth defect) characterized by the failure of the embryonic prosencephalon to properly divide the orbits of the eye into two cavities. Its incidence is 1 in 16,000 in born animals, and 1 in 250 in embryos.[1]
en.wikipedia.org...

If you Google Cyclopia you can see there are many pictures of this sad deformity that may be where the mythical Cyclops comes from.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
As fascinating as it is, not one person so far has condemned the capture and slaughter of this shark, that was pregnant at the time of capture. Though it is easy to look in awe at the oddity, this fisherman didnt just kill one shark, but killed innocent shark pups too that did not deserve this fate, regardless.

Though without the slaughter of the shark this would have gone undiscovered, a true fisherman with a conscience would have released the shark due to being pregnant. Its this flippant regard for life that sickens me.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

"She said she was on the pill!"

Probably is real, and if those specific pictures aren't you can bet they have existed at some point in time.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Would be a cool addition to an aquarium, temporarily. I'd like to see how it behaves around other sea creatures. (I'm guessing this isn't one of those everyday kinda sharks you happen to be able to study much of and it isn't as interesting when it's dead)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by BeyondPerception

The poor thing...Wonder if the baby had to chance to live if it could of survived in the wild..How is it going to look from side to side,,,

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
probably wouldn't have lasted long,
I would embed the image but it's a horrible disorder and it is morning tea time,
Child_with_Cyclopia.jpg
One_Eyed_Cat

Cyclopia (also cyclocephaly or synophthalmia) is a rare form of holoprosencephaly and is a congenital disorder (birth defect) characterized by the failure of the embryonic prosencephalon to properly divide the orbits of the eye into two cavities. Its incidence is 1 in 16,000 in born animals, and 1 in 250 in embryos

Cyclopia
edit on 14/10/11 by Freedom_is_Slavery because: links

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by technologicalsingularity
As fascinating as it is, not one person so far has condemned the capture and slaughter of this shark, that was pregnant at the time of capture. Though it is easy to look in awe at the oddity, this fisherman didnt just kill one shark, but killed innocent shark pups too that did not deserve this fate, regardless.

Though without the slaughter of the shark this would have gone undiscovered, a true fisherman with a conscience would have released the shark due to being pregnant. Its this flippant regard for life that sickens me.

I agree totally but then I am vegetarian and deem all animals equally deserve my respect and care.
If you are not vegetarian or vegan you need to see how your "food" is treated before slaughter, much worse then the wild captures because they never even have a moment of real life.
I don't think it is easy to tell if a shark is PG.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Prob from the oil leak and radiation from fukushima.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
looks tasty.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne
Wow! Take a look at that first pic:

Looks alarmingly like... well, just look:

Yup, definitely looks like a one-eyed monster

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I'd wonder how it could see :p it's brain would probably be wired to process information from 2 eyes so would that eye appear blurry or would it be blind etc

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The eye looks extremely fake
This shark look like a blind one from the deepsea
they just made a horizontal incision
and put something in it (rotten egg with a hole )

Its a hoax 99% sure of that

edit on 10/18/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/18/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by technologicalsingularity

Nope, I can't condem a man ( or bear, snake frog) for fishing. Too natural, and people lare animals too.

No true fisherman ( or anyone in their right mond) would grab a large shark and check to see if it's pregnant.
( then again, maybe that's why Pirates have hooks?)

Sharks aren't animals you want to touch.. but they are very plentiful, very tasty, and like us, were built to eat anything.

I doubt that fetus would have survived. Usually birth defects like that are a sign of serious physical problems.
Very possibly due to pollutants. Sharks are apex predators whose overal "design" is basically perfect.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join