It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soccer player arrested for religious tattoos in Saudi Arabia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

According to reports, Colombian winger Juan Pablo Pino was arrested by the Saudi moral police when fellow shoppers in a Riyadh mall complained about the exposed tattoos on his arms, which include the face of Jesus

Source

While an individual's religion should be sacred, should he be arrested for it? Apparently so in Saudi Arabia where they adhere to Sharia Law in typical middle eastern fashion. I can hardly think of anywhere else in the world where one's choice in religion would be cause for arrest.

Pino, according to the article, had a short sleeve shirt on, exposing his tattoos of Jesus and other religious symbols and when someone complained, he was arrested and it took a Colombian delegate to speak with the Sharia enforcers to get him released.

Should Muslim's then also be arrested in non-Sharia countries when they appear in public with their religious garb?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by explorer14

Each country has its laws and people should respect them when they are there. People around the world might think some laws in the US are stupid, restrictive, unnecessary and outdated, but we expect them to follow our laws when they are here. So, if you go to Saudi Arabia, obey their laws. I don't agree with their laws, but you can believe that if I travel there, I will do my very best to obey their laws no matter what kind of judgments I have about them.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Just shows how very intolerant the Muslims are in the Middle East, even in a fairly modern country such as Saudi Arabia.

While I agree with BH's assessment of how you must follow the laws of the country that you are in, it is sad that such an intolerant religion has such a large following in the world.

Christian haters will be coming on the thread soon, but I have sat in the pews of Christian churches of many different denominations, and I could have a tattoo of a star and crescent on my forehead or a tattoo of the Satan himself bared.... and I wouldn't be thrown out, much less arrested for it.
edit on 14-10-2011 by butcherguy because: Typo repair.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by explorer14

Should Muslim's then also be arrested in non-Sharia countries when they appear in public with their religious garb?
No, because we should be tolerant to that degree, at least.

We would be stooping to their level. Doesn't it seem as though the Muslim religion is just a bit insecure? If you don't follow the Koran in some countries, they'll cut your ears or nose off. Follow another religion and refuse to convert, the will likely execute you. Yeah, they have a lot of faith in their god(small 'g') , if they have to execute those who will not follow him.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
or a tattoo of the Satan himself bared.... and I wouldn't be thrown out, much less arrested for it.

You bet that you would get a lot of nasty comments and probably be ask to leave.
I understand that you hate other religion (wonder who's intolerant here...) and think christians are the ultimate peace-loving friendly individuals...which they aren't.

I can understand that he got into trouble, he should've known it. The rules of countries should be accept, if you can't live with them, leave the country. Simple as that.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Absolutely agree with this 100%. If you live in a country, or even just visit, you live by their rules. Personally, i can't stand a fair few of our laws but hey, that's life. You just accept it and move on...........

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Thanks all for the comments.

Agreed, one should respect the laws of the country they are in, that is a given fact unless one wants trouble.

So, how is it that an orthodox Muslim could live in ANY other country that is not governed by Sharia Law?

The logic and rationalization seems faulty - not that Christian views are faultless mind you. I just have a difficult time trying to understand the absolute fervance they (Muslims) seem have for (imposing/enforcing) their religion.

Or, conversely, is the media perhaps playing it up a little.... you know, shaping our opinions?

Peace is just not in the equation apparently...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by explorer14
So, how is it that an orthodox Muslim could live in ANY other country that is not governed by Sharia Law?

Isn't your point that Muslim countries are intolerant? Yes. That's true. But then you ask why they are tolerated elsewhere. Because other countries aren't as intolerant as they are. Isn't that your whole point?

I just have a difficult time trying to understand the absolute fervance they (Muslims) seem have for (imposing/enforcing) their religion.

Christians are the same way. They are fervent in their desire to impose their religion on others. Fortunately, in the US, the Constitution supposedly protects us from a theocracy, but many would like to change that. And religion IS imposing itself into the law of the land. I wouldn't be so all-fired proud about Christianity because by the way things look, religion and politics are melding a little more each election.
Before you know it, we're going to have our own little Christian Theocracy, complete with "God's Law" as our foundation...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85

or a tattoo of the Satan himself bared.... and I wouldn't be thrown out, much less arrested for it.

You bet that you would get a lot of nasty comments and probably be ask to leave.
I understand that you hate other religion (wonder who's intolerant here...) and think christians are the ultimate peace-loving friendly individuals...which they aren't.

I can understand that he got into trouble, he should've known it. The rules of countries should be accept, if you can't live with them, leave the country. Simple as that.
Apparently you haven't actually read my posts, or there is a comprehension problem. See this:

No, because we should be tolerant to that degree, at least.

We would be stooping to their level.

Have you ever been in a church?

If so, were you asked to leave?
I can believe that a church might ask a person to leave, if they were disrupting a service through their actions or by disturbing the peace. But not for having a tattoo.
I don't exactly fit in at the Catholic Church that I have been attending. I am pierced and tattooed, and not just a bit. I have never got any ugly comments much less been asked to leave the church. One of my tattoos is a female vampire with this caption below: Women Suck!
I have had them exposed many times there this summer, and never had any mention made of them or even a weird glance. I have been welcomed at every church that I have attended.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

think christians are the ultimate peace-loving friendly individuals...which they aren't.
I am glad that you are able to discern that from my posts, it helps me understand where you are coming from.

I have never stated any such things. Christians are just like any other people on this earth, they are human.

If you can show me where in the posts that are in this thread that I have even stated that I am a Christian, I'd like to see it.
I am currently attending a Catholic church. I am not Catholic.
I have attended Baptist churches. I'm not a Baptist.
I have studied Taoism. I'm not a Taoist.
I could go on and on with this.
You have made presumptions about me, without any basis in fact.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

If so, were you asked to leave?
I can believe that a church might ask a person to leave, if they were disrupting a service through their actions or by disturbing the peace.

Hey, butcherguy.

One of my first memories of a feeling of hypocrisy in religion was when I was in church (Baptist) as a child (probably about 10 years old) and about 5-6 'hippies' came in and sat quietly in the pews near the front. They were quiet and respectful. But they had long hair and colorful, flowing clothes. They didn't look ANYTHING like the people in the church. A deacon approached them and quietly led them to the back of the church and into the foyer. I watched, but the doors closed between us. After about 2-3 minutes, the deacon returned to his station... The hippies never returned... Even as a youngster, I figured out that they had been asked to leave because of how they looked and the judgments made against them. They were turned away from God and it ripped my heart out, even as a child.

Google "kicked out of church" and you'll find just how intolerant most are.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Hi BH.

Oh, I believe it, it is sad when something like that happens. But I have never seen it happen personally.

I must admit that I have never attended services at a fundamentalist type church, I have always shied away from those because of statements made by their leaders that led me to believe that they were intolerant. There isn't any room in my life for that kind of thing.

BTW, BH: Please don't take offense to this thing:

One of my tattoos is a female vampire with this caption below: Women Suck!

It doesn't reflect on my actual views regarding women. It is a personal thing, with an inside story.... and will be amended by adding the words: 'Not all' above it.

edit on 14-10-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by explorer14

Isn't your point that Muslim countries are intolerant?]...Because other countries aren't as intolerant as they are. Isn't that your whole point?

Not so much that but....

Of course the differences in behaviour amongst the groups are obvious and, really, doesn't it corrupt the spirit of the religion to not hold them accountable by their own creeds? For instance, if found in 'violation' of their religion the retribution should follow the ascriptions of said religion-no matter the location- or else hence it is not 'valid'...

I just have a difficult time trying to understand the absolute fervance they (Muslims) seem have for (imposing/enforcing) their religion.

Christians are the same way. They are fervent in their desire to impose their religion on others.

Some but not all^

Fortunately, in the US, the Constitution supposedly protects us from a theocracy, but many would like to change that. And religion IS imposing itself into the law of the land. I wouldn't be so all-fired proud about Christianity because by the way things look, religion and politics are melding a little more each election.
Before you know it, we're going to have our own little Christian Theocracy, complete with "God's Law" as our foundation...

I think for some people, their is real value for it [religion] in their lives and is not entirely a 'bad' thing which does in the end perhaps serve a greater good.

top topics

join